Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so how do u like it? I'm thinkin about switching?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
ive got it... its a good deal, but was a PAIN IN THE ASS to switch my number.

i started the whole process at the end of october and it wasnt complete till January 10. I must have called them 2-3 times a week during that time, and when i threatened them with the better business bureau amazingly i was all set up and ready to go that week...lol

they kept trying to give me a new number, which is fine but it would have been long distance for anybody here in my town to call me.

after getting it alll switched over though im happy with it, and the voice quality is fine even when im surfing the net. the only time i ever had a problem was when i was playing PS2 online the phone was like talking on a cell phone with low signal.

if you can get through the number transfer though its worth doing as long as you have a strong internet connection.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
I have it now, well the ex wife does, I can call all my buds in England and Canada for no extra charge.

Every now and then it is a bit of a pain when the system goes wobbly , but thats cool....for the price.

Plus One...recommended by FAF

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
i have vonage. the only issue i have had is with transferring from one phone to another. it drops calls sometimes. i have upgraded my routers/switches and it still happens sometimes.

whatever you do dont go with 8X8!! i closed my account with them over 6 months ago and they are still billing me!!!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I checked into it but they do not have a local number for my area yet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm my own VoIP service. I run [email protected] now called Trixbox. I can connect up to my VoIP server over the internet and make calls out of my home system like I was dialing from home no matter if I'm over in Tim Buck Two as long as I have a broad band connection. My system as IVR capabilities with multiple extensions phone directory tree help, voice mail for each extension, conference calling, call forwarding, etc, etc. Some neat features of the system are the ability to email me my voice mails (a wav file is included in the email so I can hear the message) and the ability to receive faxes and have the faxes emailed to you. I have 2 extensions set up for me. One for when I'm at home and one on my traveling laptop with mobile broadband. If a person calls me at home and doesn't get me, the system will put the caller on hold, put on hold music, and then try to connect up to me on my traveling extension. If I don't pick up on my traveling extension, the system will then drop the caller into voice mail.

I found a service that I'll probably be signing up for that costs $13.50 a month for unlimited inbound and outbound calling with my own dedicated local number. For anyone with internet access, I don't have to worry about them being on the same VoIP service provider network as I am (ie Vonage to Vonage.) I just set them up an extension, email them the domain name for my network, the extension number, the password, and the software SIP phone (which is free.) So for zero money, I can get a lot of people set up to call me anywhere in the world.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Anyone know if you can use your standalone fax machine with Vonage?

·
Site Sponsor
324 Posts
I have my home phone service with Vonage. No problem hooking up a fax to it. Never really had to many problems with it. A couple dropped calls here are there but a lot of it has to do with how good your internet connection is. And if you ever call customer service you get routed to India. Other than that, it's been good.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Surfside Moto said:
I have my home phone service with Vonage. No problem hooking up a fax to it. Never really had to many problems with it. A couple dropped calls here are there but a lot of it has to do with how good your internet connection is. And if you ever call customer service you get routed to India. Other than that, it's been good.
Thanks for the info. on the Fax thing, but I forgot to ask one more important question....How good does a speaker phone work? Most of my long distant calls is via speaker phone and even with land line there is cut outs....so :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
shenanigans said:
lol I dont use a house phone. thought those things were banned. I just use my cell phone. why pay for two phones?
:+1: I have pretty much unlimited everything on my cell, it only costs me $65 a month and it works anywhere i have cell service which is good since I'm never home.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soundz like pretty much everyone is staisfied with it?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
had a few troubles getting switched but overall im happy. service is good and cost is good...

i recommend it to people but warn them that the number swap may take awhile.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hoser said:
had a few troubles getting switched but overall im happy. service is good and cost is good...

I kinda figured that? Thatz why i didn't rush into switchin over. I wanted to find out what other people thought about it first.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Hoser said:

I just switched over to vonage!!!!!!! Wow I was amazed at the quality. It only took me 5days or so before they shut off my old phone(Vonage contacts your phone company and takes care of everything). I got to keep my same phone #.

I already called dad in Los Angeles and he did not even know I was calling through the Internet.

My fax machine is also hooked up and gets a dial tone.

So, far it only cost me $24.99 for the first month for unlimited Nationwide calls or I can change next month to a $14.99 plan with 500min of Nationwide calls both are unlimited locals.

I also called Vonage instead of using the buy and checkout function on their website and got my vonage D-link box for FREE!!!!!...JUST HAD TO PAY $10 IN SHIPPING.

As far as hook-up, it took me 5mins or less. I simply hooked up the D-LINK box with the supplied cat-5 cable to my router, 1 supplied phone cable to my current phone, hit the reset button for 10secs then installed the power plug....waited a few minutes and got all green lights telling me my Internet is up and phone is ready. Then lifted the receiver and BAM ...a Dial Tone. :thumbsup:

I would like to say I recommend this vonage but everyones situation is different. For example this replaces my second phone line I had and was paying $50 a month but I also have a main phone line in my house so I have back-up. Also, the 911 calls from a vonage line is a little different in dialing and I haven't looked that up yet as well because I have the other phone line...then theres the issue if you have many phone jacks, not sure if I need a box and high speed in each location but I think I can get around this by taking all the current jacks that are connected to the main phone connection from the telephone company and tie them together....will update if that works good.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
bluedevil...then theres the issue if you have many phone jacks said:
update on this quote.

got to thinking about it and installed the vonage phone input to one empty phone jack in the house...all the phones work.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've been looking at Skype. When I get the time, I'm going to try the Skype to Asterisk gateway programs out there and see how that works. Skype IN/OUT only costs $68 for the entire year for unlimited local calling in and outbound. That's a steal and so far I haven't found anyone that can beat that. I haven't looked into their long distance service as I don't need it.

Also, there are a plethera of stuff out for Skype from the various hardware manufacturers. Linksys and Netgear have WiFi Skype phones. So you can just roam around your house using this phone or head over to your local free hot spot and use your Skype WiFi phone there like you're calling from your house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts