Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flashed with no restrictions and 3/4 exhaust...

Made less than my 4th gen with similar mods... bike only has 700 miles but went through a hard early break in to seat the rings. Nothing really unusual other than a little rattle buzzing sound from the bike (mayge that cam chain tension issue) and a little bit material on the metal drain plug I out on at 100 miles and changed again at 600. Figured that was from the normal break in.

Do they not break in well with full synthetic? Do they continue to make more power with miles? Seems like it should be making about 8-15 more than my gen 4 depending on fueling. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Something must not be right. I dynoed my GEN5 bone stock and peak HP was around 176. Installing the Graves Cat Eliminator with no other mods brought it up to 190. After some basic tuning we got it up to just under 195. A good 10 to 15 more HP than my GEN4 with a full Graves exhaust, a flash and a Bazzaz.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something must not be right. I dynoed my GEN5 bone stock and peak HP was around 176. Installing the Graves Cat Eliminator with no other mods brought it up to 190. After some basic tuning we got it up to just under 195. A good 10 to 15 more HP than my GEN4 with a full Graves exhaust, a flash and a Bazzaz.
Right.. I just don't get it at all...

Worst part since it was a shootout we weren't hooking up rpm signal so no rpm and torque for the sake of time with so many bikes... sigh. I have the worst possible luck ever I think.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Flashed with no restrictions and 3/4 exhaust...

Made less than my 4th gen with similar mods... bike only has 700 miles but went through a hard early break in to seat the rings. Nothing really unusual other than a little rattle buzzing sound from the bike (mayge that cam chain tension issue) and a little bit material on the metal drain plug I out on at 100 miles and changed again at 600. Figured that was from the normal break in.

Do they not break in well with full synthetic? Do they continue to make more power with miles? Seems like it should be making about 8-15 more than my gen 4 depending on fueling. Am I wrong?
Yea mine read around 165 after hard break in on brocks dyno, now with flash his Predator exhaust sprint filter and velocity stacks peak hp was at 203 wheel. What numbers are you getting stock to now? Were these done on the same dyno? What were the climitory factors? The last 2 are big ones. Different dynos put up different numbers for the exact same bike all the time. Also the climate has a huge factor also, my bike in good conditions ( lower temperature, little to no humidity) made 203. A month later on a hot around 90degree day (F) and high humidity was only pulling 185. Nothing changed except outside factors. Your best bet is to go back to the same dyno your gen 4 was tuned on, try and do it on a day that conditions closest resemble those of the day your gen 4 was dynoed (these should be noted on your dyno chart). Or if u still have it, bring both for side by side comparison.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sure that applies of your gen 4 wasn't dyno'd at the same tikme as your gen 5 and still made more power :( none of the variables apply here since they were done 10min a part

Btw, who's stacks are you using?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unless everyone is using the same dyno, the dyno figures are irrelevant.... many dyno's will vary their HP / KW output

FWIW my gen 5 pulled out 177hp with full ackra... if I took it to another dyno, It may be 185hp...who knows.. I wouldn't worry to much :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless everyone is using the same dyno, the dyno figures are irrelevant.... many dyno's will vary their HP / KW output

FWIW my gen 5 pulled out 177hp with full ackra... if I took it to another dyno, It may be 185hp...who knows.. I wouldn't worry to much :)

Would you be worried if a gen 4 with similar mods pulled more than you right before/after you went? I mean less than 10 mins apart...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sure that applies of your gen 4 wasn't dyno'd at the same tikme as your gen 5 and still made more power :( none of the variables apply here since they were done 10min a part

Btw, who's stacks are you using?
Jetprime, Brock got a test unit from them and dropped it in. The company claimed it made 5 hp there. Even with fuel tuning best we got was 2. So unless your racing and need every hp, not worth the couple hundred for it. Mine was free so no complaints on this end.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Try putting more miles on the bike and see what it puts down. I did a hard dyno break in as well and only put down around 160hp (flashed and 3/4 exhaust). I later brought the bike back in for a custom tune at around 2,500 miles and the bike laid down 186hp. I find it hard to believe a custom tune was the cause of a 26hp gain. The reflash tune wasn't that bad... I discussed this later with some of the employees at the shop along with a kawi rep and we all came to an assumption that maybe kawi is detuned somehow for a certain amount of miles. It's the only thing we could think of. This was also done on the same dyno.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My gen 5 feels like a turd compared to my 4. But the 4 has a guhls flash and my 5 has a schnitz. Ryan doesn't mess with the time on the gen 5 so I don't know what's left on the table.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update.. added another 600 miles and had the chance to race some friends.. Where I was about even on the gen 4 the gen 5 gets beat every time... this is not the outcome I had in mind when I bought this thing

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try putting more miles on the bike and see what it puts down. I did a hard dyno break in as well and only put down around 160hp (flashed and 3/4 exhaust). I later brought the bike back in for a custom tune at around 2,500 miles and the bike laid down 186hp. I find it hard to believe a custom tune was the cause of a 26hp gain. The reflash tune wasn't that bad... I discussed this later with some of the employees at the shop along with a kawi rep and we all came to an assumption that maybe kawi is detuned somehow for a certain amount of miles. It's the only thing we could think of. This was also done on the same dyno.
I guess it's possible but just doesn't make sense. Would be curious if anyone else had similar experiences

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Im in Grand Rapids right now, when I get to DR, I will tune one, that the owner had a gen4, that was 305kmh GPS, and a beast...

All gen4 on that dyno make 179... will see this gen5 what happens...

maybe kawa has a restriction in the software linked to kms or something.. but gen5 should be faster than gen4

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im in Grand Rapids right now, when I get to DR, I will tune one, that the owner had a gen4, that was 305kmh GPS, and a beast...

All gen4 on that dyno make 179... will see this gen5 what happens...

maybe kawa has a restriction in the software linked to kms or something.. but gen5 should be faster than gen4
Message me after you do and tell me what happens.. this is driving me insane

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't waste time on dyno as numbers are not reliable.
Did you not read a single thing I've said in this entire thread?

Okay, I gotta request that you no longer respond to any thing I'm the original poster on again. I'm not joking. You never really contribute in any meaningful way and all you do is get me irritated. Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you not read a single thing I've said in this entire thread?

Okay, I gotta request that you no longer respond to any thing I'm the original poster on again. I'm not joking. You never really contribute in any meaningful way and all you do is get me irritated. Thanks buddy.
I haven't been here long and have come to this same conclusion already :crackup:

Getting back on topic though, have you started looking into diagnostics to rule out something mechanical? What about removal of the air filter screen? The little amount of research I have done has me itching to remove the screen ASAP.

·
Registered
167 Posts
With my testing at the track with both my gen 4 and my gen 5 that are almost identical on mods, I was going 9.30's on my gen 4. Now my gen 5 I'm going 9.60s but I've only gotten 4 passes with the new swing arm on. I trap 143 on my gen 5. When my gen 4 was running 9.60's I was trapping 147-48. I believe the issue is a couple of things. Up top on the gen 5 it feels like it noses over even with the flash around 11-12k. The gen 4 kept pulling. I believe the other issue is the gearing were they changed the gear box. They left first gear long like the gen 4 but made 2-6 short, it seems that when they did that it's not letting the bike come far enough down into the peak power to really let the motor "pull" the bike. I'm running almost identical times as I did on my gen 4 in the 1/8 but down at 118 mph in the 1/8 verse 120-21 on the gen 4. I ran an 04 R1 on the street the other day with a rider about the same weight all he had was a cut exhaust, flash and power commander. I believe he was 1 up 2 down. He was beating up on my gen 5 pretty hard from a dig, by getting that top end pull.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.