Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting wheels? I want to paint the wheels on my track bike neon orange, have any of you guys done this? What steps did you take? Did it turn out good? Any recomendations would be greatly aprecieated.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Neon paint does not hold up to sunlight at all.... They just can't get good enough UV protection in it, within very short amount of time it looks like you did a fade job on it with the white basecoat shining right through.

Powdercoating is much better suited to the task, but ya gotta R&R your bearings to do it properly.

I do like me some dayglo colors though :wink:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I would definitely rather powder coat but time is against me. I already bought all new bearings since I was going to replace them anyways.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that swing arm

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Doing it yourself or taking it in?!? I work at a metal finishing place, so learning to paint and powder coat, I would recommend taking the time to have it pc'd!! A lot stronger finish, but if painting like others said neon fades an then looks pastel in color.......if just going for a quick fix then paint is fine, just do a good job masking it, so as no paint is inside the lip and bead area!! Good luck and post picks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the plan is to do it myself and I do want it to look good, i have the set of wheels with everything already removed, rotors, bearings, sprocket, valve stems. The paint I was worried about and didn't know it faded so easily. I think I'll look into powder coating if it's reasonable. But I do kinda want to try it myself, after all it is a track bike.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Why don't you just plastidip it? Cheap, durable, and can change your color over and over again...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's funny you say that, I saw it and grabbed it but never really thought it would hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I did the wheels on my 954 some years back (also some other parts). I took my time, prepped, and did everything I could to make them look as good as possible. It took forever and a ton of elbow grease. They did come out very nice.

Only to find out they chip really easily, and even with some clear coat things like minor chain sling eat away at it incredibly fast. Please bear in mind I am not a painter so maybe I could have done better, but for me it didn't last very long. It can come out looking decent though for a little while.

Shortly after paint

A year or so later, finish was dull and chipped up

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are some sharp looking wheels when you did them though. Think I may go with powder coat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts