Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Graves fender kit on their 10R?-

I have seen the bracket/kit and it looks decent, but they dont show it actually on the bike.

I was looking for a plate bracket that does not require drilling and does NOT have have the tabs for mounting rear turn stalks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was in the same boat, I really liked the style of the graves but wanted it without the signal brackets. Unfortunately, they do not offer that for our bike. I did a load of searching and found one for about 40.00$. The only thing is I don't remember the name of the website I got it from. I should be getting it in a few days, so I'll post up the address and pics when I get it installed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moto, be sure to post up pics and let me know where you got it.

Miykl,

Can you post pics of yours?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well steve I finally got my plate bracket in the mail and it is SHIT! Doesn't fill the holes, and didn't come with any mounting hardware. I can't even install it without a ghetto rig of some sort. I guess you get what you pay for eh? I'm sending it back and going with the graves.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motojay81 said:
Well steve I finally got my plate bracket in the mail and it is SHIT! Doesn't fill the holes, and didn't come with any mounting hardware. I can't even install it without a ghetto rig of some sort. I guess you get what you pay for eh? I'm sending it back and going with the graves.
Motojay,

Sorry to hear about the kit. That is why I tend to get opinions before I buy things like this. It seems so many companies make shit quality pieces, its hard to find out which ones are worth the money. Let me know on the Graves. I liked the idea of that one, but again would like pics of the installed piece. If that doesnt fill the holes well, I might just keep searching.

I did buy and return the Targa kit for the 10. I had to call and convince them to send a plate bracket without mounting holes for turns. They did, but once I got the kit I realized that it was different than pictured. The filler plates were seperate-they just filled the holes. Then the plate bracket was another piece which required you to drill in the undertail to install. Seemed stupid to me-just have the plate bracket install onto the filler plates and eliminate the drilling. Would look much better and look like one piece, not chopped up. I guess it would work on a black bike, but not any other.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
steves87 said:
Seemed stupid to me-just have the plate bracket install onto the filler plates and eliminate the drilling. Would look much better and look like one piece, not chopped up. I guess it would work on a black bike, but not any other.
Sounds like you're describing what I made. Very easy to do, if you (or someone you know) can weld aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
miykl said:
I have the Graves bracket. It comes with mounts for oem signals.
Miykl,

Does that Graves fill in the holes underneath? I was wondering if it came close to being flush with the undertail. I will order one if it does, but dont want one that is recessed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
that looks nice Canyon, Does the law require you have to have a plate light, signals? I went with the Targa because it came with a plate light. Had to drill tho. BTW- If you go with this one, use some locktight of self locking nuts or you'll lose those nice aluminum plates. I lost one and made a couple from plastic. I also had to make a special bracket to get the right angle where those silly little signals can even be seen a little!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
K10 said:
that looks nice Canyon, Does the law require you have to have a plate light, signals?
Thanks. Yeah, the law requires a plate light and turn signals. Turn signals are covered, as I have a FlashAlert taillight that has turn signals built in.

As for the plate light, I never ride at night ('cause I can't see in the dark too well), so it really isn't an issue for me. Worst case scenario is a Fix-It ticket, but I doubt I'd ever have a problem in daylight.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Sounds like you're describing what I made. Very easy to do, if you (or someone you know) can weld aluminum.
Hey Canyon,
Did you make the filler plates too???
If so is there any way I could talk you into making me a set?
Pretty pretty please....
I'll pay for your time or whatever.
I was going to make some out of plastic but those look pretty damn good!!!
Thanks in advance.
Smiley

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
avdigigeek said:
Hey Canyon,
Did you make the filler plates too???
If so is there any way I could talk you into making me a set?
Pretty pretty please....
I'll pay for your time or whatever.
I was going to make some out of plastic but those look pretty damn good!!!
Thanks in advance.
Smiley
The filler plates and plate hanger are welded together, and were made for me by a friend that's pretty skilled at metal fab. So I'm afraid I can't help you out with one. But, I can tell you that it should be fairly easy to make if you get some 1/4" aluminum and someone to weld it for you. Just cut the aluminum to fit the recesses and drill for mounting to the stock bolts. Then weld the plate bracket across. Or just skip the welding altogether, and just make the plates if that's all you need.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What about this guys..

Using this template and 1/4 inch aluminum, leave a little extra (maybe an inch) on one end (depending where you would want your plate) to be bent at an angle. You may have to use the wide end though, due to the angle needed to mount the plate. Drill a hole in the angled piece for your plates. No place for your signals, but an easy clean mount with no welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
The filler plates and plate hanger are welded together, and were made for me by a friend that's pretty skilled at metal fab. So I'm afraid I can't help you out with one. But, I can tell you that it should be fairly easy to make if you get some 1/4" aluminum and someone to weld it for you. Just cut the aluminum to fit the recesses and drill for mounting to the stock bolts. Then weld the plate bracket across. Or just skip the welding altogether, and just make the plates if that's all you need.
Thanks Canyon I just need the plates no welding.
I dont think I have the tools to cut the aluminum what did you use?
Thank's
Smiley

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
K10 said:
Using this template and 1/4 inch aluminum, leave a little extra (maybe an inch) on one end (depending where you would want your plate) to be bent at an angle. You may have to use the wide end though, due to the angle needed to mount the plate. Drill a hole in the angled piece for your plates. No place for your signals, but an easy clean mount with no welding.
K10 thanks the info I can take this to shop i'm sure and get a couple plates made....
Thanks again
Smiley

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
avdigigeek said:
Thanks Canyon I just need the plates no welding.
I dont think I have the tools to cut the aluminum what did you use?
Thank's
Smiley
I cheated and went the easy way, as my friend has a plasma cutter. However, it would be easy enough to use a hacksaw, or jigsaw.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts