Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what might need to be done to correct any issues with exhaust sensors,etc... if I gut the cat's on my 2006 ZX-10R? Anyone done it? please let me know the juicy details!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You wont have to do a thing as the O2 sensors are in front of the cat and do not read if the cats are in place. They only read and report on how the combustion process is working.

·
Banned
814 Posts
sounds like we're going to need someone to fab up some o2 SIM's very soon, for the members who want to run race gas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gutted my '07 and had planned on getting the A&R baffles put in. Instead I ordered two Titanium pipes without holes and did the CAT at the same time... hehe if I get busted by the cops I can always add holes right? Now it's super loud and spits out a tiny flame (visible at night) so my friends tell me. Throttle feels more crisp..and sound is very loud...haven't heard a single bike louder than mine on the road anyway... oh yeah runs lean (corrected) compared to stock setup. I included 1 pic of my pipe.. forgot to take pics of the gutted cat.. I drilled it out and sand blasted out the bits.. also power coated the exhaust all black too.

Haven't run any tests yet.. well since I didn't run any before mods I won't be able to tell you the difference.. It feels better and was fun to do..plus it was almost free.. Ti pipes cost me around 100 bucks.. I used all the stock pieces unlike how the A&R site shows how to do it. The rear part that rivots is sealed properly. I wanted stock looks and and I felt the Kawa stock pipes were quite nice.. all Ti except for super heavy CAT piece. - That's the only thing I would consider replacing for my skill level anyway. But the O2 sensors would be too much hassle..so ended up with gutting instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Gutted my '07 and had planned on getting the A&R baffles put in. Instead I ordered two Titanium pipes without holes and did the CAT at the same time... hehe if I get busted by the cops I can always add holes right? Now it's super loud and spits out a tiny flame (visible at night) so my friends tell me. Throttle feels more crisp..and sound is very loud...haven't heard a single bike louder than mine on the road anyway... oh yeah runs rich compared to stock setup. I included 1 pic of my pipe.. forgot to take pics of the gutted cat.. I drilled it out and sand blasted out the bits.. also power coated the exhaust all black too.

Haven't run any tests yet.. well since I didn't run any before mods I won't be able to tell you the difference.. It feels better and was fun to do..plus it was almost free.. Ti pipes cost me around 100 bucks.. I used all the stock pieces unlike how the A&R site shows how to do it. The rear part that rivots is sealed properly. I wanted stock looks and and I felt the Kawa stock pipes were quite nice.. all Ti except for super heavy CAT piece. - That's the only thing I would consider replacing for my skill level anyway. But the O2 sensors would be too much hassle..so ended up with gutting instead.
you mean lean

gut the cat
the shit is tough hard so watch our self when you try to break it out i had to use a drill and a chissle

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dude, I gutted mine a month ago. Talk about a pain in the nuts. Make sure you put a couple shirts on the ground before you go beating on it, or you'll bend the opening hole. If you do bend it, get a ball peen hammer and reshape it. Wear goggles and a mask, you don't want to breathe the stuff. I haven't fired it up yet, but I will in a couple days. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i didint use any drill bits. i just used a long screwdriver, and a big round tube to basicly knock it out of its place and it came out in 1 pieace. took us 30 mins.

·
Registered
615 Posts
This has probably been answered but is it neccessary to remap after gutting the cat?
:iamwithst

This is why i have yet to complete this modification.....

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thanks....being that I do not have anything to RE-Map the fuel curve on this thing....should I wait till I can change it??? Got a track day next weekend....don't wanna fugg anything up:badteeth:
I dont think it'll be an issue for you, if you remove it before your track day. I think the bike will be more responsive for you with the cat out. As far as a map...if you run a full system map, that takes in to account you do not have a cat. You should be able to get that from PCs site.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Interesting. Mine was super simple.
The cat. dropped out without having to remove any other parts of the exhaust system, and I even reused factory gaskets.

I cut the cat. in half. removed the material and polished the edges smoothe, and welded it back up. All in less than one hours time.

I used A&R baffles, which took less than one hour start to finish. Lots of posts made on this. Search should turn up some good info.

Remap was a must. Dyno'e 167.12.

I did my packing a little different than directions showed. I wanted quality of sound. Not just some loud ass raspy crap sound.

Also have BMC Race airfilter.
Great mods for the time and money involved. Gutting the cans is simple. I also used a dremol tool to make the cuts in the factory baffles. Then a screwdriver popped'em right out. Ground the flanges down nice and smooth.

Good Luck..

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used A&R baffles, which took less than one hour start to finish. Lots of posts made on this. Search should turn up some good info.

Remap was a must. Dyno'e 167.12.

I did my packing a little different than directions showed. I wanted quality of sound. Not just some loud ass raspy crap sound.

Also have BMC Race airfilter.
Great mods for the time and money involved. Gutting the cans is simple. I also used a dremol tool to make the cuts in the factory baffles. Then a screwdriver popped'em right out.QUOTE]

Sounds like a peice of cake man.......:thumbsup: ....I have a set of Akra Bolt Ons on it with a K&N Filter in it......I probably should have informed you guys of this earlier.....think i would be fine with gutting the cat with out re-map before the track?? I am sure the bike will be fine, I just don't want it running rich enough to the point of poor performance. Thanks:badteeth:

·
Registered
819 Posts
IT wont richen up it will lean out, and the good thing is, with the adittion of O2 sensors the bike will make up for that pretty well by itself,,, HOOOORAAAAA for kawabungas :wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts