1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I ran into a guy at work that offered me access to some airplane fuel
it's 100 octane leaded?
what do you think is it worth dynoing for that fuel?
will it blow my motor?
this is for a race only bike.
any thoughts?

at 4 bucks a gallon this stuff would be alot cheaper then VP
if it would work with out damage to the bike I may do it.

thanks in advance for any advise :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
ohhhh back in 91 i used some av gas in my FZR1k(just pumped in from a local airport) just to try it without any jetting or tuning of any sort and the bike ran poorly for any host of reasons so i can't say if it was tuned for the slow burn rate if it would have made any diff. :dontknow:

BD

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well he says the lead adds cooling for airplane motors...
I figure the 10 could use any help it can get in the cooling department.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have been advised to not use jet fuel, the local airport has a fuel station and I went out there one day to talk to them about it and was told it would rust the inside of the motor. Dont know how much truth there was to that but it steered me away from it so I just stick to the unleaded.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have been advised to not use jet fuel, the local airport has a fuel station and I went out there one day to talk to them about it and was told it would rust the inside of the motor. Dont know how much truth there was to that but it steered me away from it so I just stick to the unleaded.
Jet fuel is a whole 'nother ball o' wax anyway. It's essentially kerosene so.....:dontknow:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I run 110 in my 9 and it runs alot cooler in the heat of day. The plugs look good and no gas smell in the oil so the jettings are right and I will continue to run it (sometimes mixed with pump) it makes a differance on the mileage I get out of tank though but all in all it does not hurt anything( smells good too)

·
Funshine Bear
2,686 Posts
JP8 is near pure kerosene. JP8 and other jet fuels you can not use. 100ll or av100 has lead and will clog sensors and will deposit on your motor. Airplane motors run at 400 degrees so not the same as the 10. I wouldn't run it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey all,
it's 100 octane leaded?
will it blow my motor?
any thoughts?

Its fine, I know someone who is a pilot who runs it in his bike all the time....he does not have cats on his bike however as it was made before they became mandatory

there are two drawbacks however

1. it is leaded so according to the government if you have cat converters it will screw them up and you won't be able to pass your next smog test:dontknow:
2. It is not taxed for road use so you will be depriving the government of the funds they use to repair the roads...yeah right:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Its fine, I know someone who is a pilot who runs it in his bike all the time....he does not have cats on his bike however as it was made before they became mandatory

there are two drawbacks however

1. it is leaded so according to the government if you have cat converters it will screw them up and you won't be able to pass your next smog test:dontknow:
2. It is not taxed for road use so you will be depriving the government of the funds they use to repair the roads...yeah right:rolleyes:
Maine has a .47 cent tax per gallon on gas (them friggin crooks) and the roads suck shite. :thefinger them....:lol:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
last motor i put airplane fuel in it burned a hole through the #2 and 3 pistons

·
Registered
352 Posts
AV gas is crap. It's actually dirty compared to race fuel. The bigger issue is with a stock mortorcycle, non-oxygenated leaded race fuel will actually take power from you, not give it. It's designed to be used on ulta-high comp motors that don't have the timing to run lower octane fuel. It's not designed to add power. Oxygenated fuel is.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
im an aircraft/engine mechanic with what i know, simply ask yourself, "hows running a gasoline/kerosine mixture sound?" thats pretty much what jp-4, jp-8 and so-on are made of. they have a high flash point. i wouldnt try it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey all,
it's 100 octane leaded?
will it blow my motor?
any thoughts?

If you cant afford regular petrol then buy a cheaper bike with better mpg..:headshake

·
GEN II Driver
2,891 Posts
worked at an airport fueling airplanes all through college. ran some 100 low lead in my yamaha fzr and it ran like shit. jet fuel is pretty much diesel fuel that would ruin a gasoline engine. advanced kawi hit the nail on the head with the note about oxegenated fuel. regardless of what you run you'll need to get your bike maped to make it run right with anything other than 91.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you cant afford regular petrol then buy a cheaper bike with better mpg..:headshake
Are you a dumb fucktard or something? Do you know what VP is?

:fu2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you a dumb fucktard or something? Do you know what VP is?

:fu2:
Your running a race bike and you are worried about cost..

PMSL you are the fooking retard.

Bet you run second hand tyres too....

Second hand brain is what you really need.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your running a race bike and you are worried about cost..

PMSL you are the fooking retard.

Bet you run second hand tyres too....

Second hand brain is what you really need.
:spit: :lol:

My tire budget for the year is probably more then you get paid in a year...

now quit jacking my thread and go spank it to a moped video on you tube ya squid....

:crackup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts