Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys well I got my tracking number from FedEx today for my fork seals and dust seals and they will be in Friday... if they were coming in tomorrow I'd bring my forks into school and do them Friday but they arent so I'm thinking about doing them over the weekend..... I have done for seals before but not on a 10r and just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for me.....

I might try and talk one of my intructors into letting me borrow some of the tools but dont know if its possible yet....

anyways anyone done them???? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The shop manual has detailed instructions.

I took my forks off and took them to the shop...... next time I won't.
From the amount of money I paid the shop to do it I could have bought ALL the special tools, done the seals myself and had the bike back together a WEEK sooner.

I did the seals on my Speed Triple before. Not difficult.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I have done seals before but using different tools then what are in the kawi manual... we shall see......

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You need a spring compressor and a 43mm fork seal driver. Its pretty straight foward. If you've done a set of forks before you can do them again. If you don't have an extra set of hands and or air tools at your disposal leave the fork tubes in tight in the triple clamp and loosen the top nut. Makes life easier. Also try to keep everything as clean as possible. Oh and when you go to put the seal onto the lower(black) tube make sure you cover the top of the tube with a plastic bag and slide the fork seal over the plastic bag down the tube. It prevents the bushing groove from cutting the seal.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I think I used a different tool then what kawi uses, maybe it wasent inverted forks i was working on.... I havent been in a shop in 7 months or so and havent touched suspension in a while....

Thanx bud.... my teachers have told me the plastic around the fork tube while putting the seals to prevent them from being damaged.... also a lil grease on them helps to....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts