Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a 04 ZX10. i used to ride a gsx600 but had to sell it before emmigrating from UK to new zealand 2 1/2 yrs ago. i love the look of the zx10's. my wife would maybe come on the back a handful of times a year at the most. for a 'gentle' run out, not to dick about. but mostly i would be riding solo, doing a few track days etc.

im keen to listen to peoples opinions. i must admit, the 10 has a fierce reputation which is a little intimidating, but im not idiot and did an advanced, fast road riding course in uk so im pretty confident ill be ok after a bit of time getting used to the 10..... i just havent ridden anything bigger than ia 250 in 2 years.

im interested in peoples experionce that went from a smaller 600 etc onto the 10, or had a break in riding before buying a zx10.

also, opinions on the pillion issue.

cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
Take your time getting used to the 10's power. As for the pillion issue. Take a short ride and see how it feels. You may have to adjust your suspension to accommodate the extra weight and be sure to tell your wife what not to do before she gets on the bike(trust me I know about this).

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Nothin wrong with ridin a passenger on the back of the 10. My girl rides on the back alot, and loves it! I just told her what to do an what not to do an shes a good rider now. It almost feels like she's not even back there sometimes. From160mph, to leaning over tight curves, to dashin in out of traffic she loves it! I have fun with her on the back.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
get a zx10r first off, get used to the power/baby it a little, then one day just open her up and see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! I had a lot fo 600's and wont buy anymore inless its for the track maybe!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I ride 2 up all the time, No issues at all. Also ha a zx6r and a ninja 250 previously an woulnt look back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i went from a 600 to a liter bike with no issues... it only goes as fast as you want it to after all, your the one in control of the throttle. As like the other, no problems with the wife on back, but you should get used to the bike a little before just throwin her on

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Uhh, call me stupid but,

Is a "pillion" a passenger??? :dontknow:

I dont speak the lingo.

And also, just what exactly what are you wanting to know?

What kind of power the ZX-10 has. AWESOME.

Does it ride a passenger well? That, I don't know, I don't have or want a rear seat.

My wifey has her own bike an 06 ZX-6R.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree you should definatly get use to the new bike before putting a passenger on it. I always take a couple days alone before wife gets on. Thats reguardless if its a bigger bike or not. Just remember more weight on back makes the front end lighter on a bike that power wheelies at will so no more slamming on the throttle to pass like with the 600 when 2 up. Not as forgiving.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I take the wife out for a few rides here and there. She has ridden with me on an 04 Suzuki SV650S twin (with some aggressive engine braking), 05 Kwak ZX6R, 06 ZX10R, and now an 09 ZX10R

I took her from London to Paris on the SV650S and London to Venice on the 06 ZX10R.

When it comes to the 10R she requestes a "sissy rail" so she doesn't always have to be leaned over. I installed it for the long trip to Venice, but for short 30 to 40 min rides she is ok with out a rail or grab bar. The lean angle and height can be hard on the passenger. In terms of distance riding and vibrations, well I HAD to stop ever hour to shake out hand and foot numbness where as she could ride for another hour with out a stop.
Speeds over 190km with full tank and luggage were hard on my neck as I couldn't get low and the drag created between out helmets is always tugging my head back and side to side as she looks around at the scenery. We did bouts of 220+ but that was more hard on me than her.
In terms of the aggression of the bike, if you short shift and keep the revs under 6000 the bike can be very tame and smooth and even pass off gear changes without the passenger knowing it. I found this smooth tame riding is best with the wife as she doesn't like sudden jolting surprise accelerations. Basically I ride as if its raining with her. Slow graduat stops, smooth gradual accelerations, and limited lean angles. The bike has 2 personalities depending on how you ride it....it's not all raw jolting horsepower.

By the way, she doesn't notice any difference between the 2nd gen and the 3rd accept the seet is sliiiiiiiiiiightly more comfy.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Uhh, call me stupid but,

Is a "pillion" a passenger??? :dontknow:

I dont speak the lingo.

And also, just what exactly what are you wanting to know?

What kind of power the ZX-10 has. AWESOME.

Does it ride a passenger well? That, I don't know, I don't have or want a rear seat.

My wifey has her own bike an 06 ZX-6R.
Yes a pillion is a passenger. My lady gets on the back with me all the time..... beware, a little getting used to as you will see the front wheel come up a lot with the extra weight on the rear. Other than that she finds it comfy enough, and we often do 500 to 600 km over a weekend

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can prevent some of the front end lift by stiffening your rear suspension but just remember where your suspension was set at.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats cool alaywa.
i would pressume that anyone carrying a passenger/pillion would adjust their riding style accordingly. smooth acceleration, gentle braking, lean angles to be as needed, not so they are scared. its beyond me that someone would just expect their passenger to'HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE'. i know several people that have had horrendous experiences as a pillion and will not allow their partners to get on a bike, and have turned their kids off bikes, becuase of some idiot tyring to proove how cool they were.

anyway

thank you all for your comments, it is very helpful

cheers my biking amigos!

from a UK expat, now living in new zealand.

ta!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts