Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just wonderin if anybody on here runnin a airshifter exspeacially on the 1st gen models. if so how did you like it ? did it help lower your times ? and wat airshifter are you guys useing ? and wats a good kit to go with ?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Cycle-tek...I swear by it.... Its a C02 shifter, we have it on 6 of our bikes and between all the bikes we have missed a total of 3 shifts in 5 years...I actually think I have some pics of one mounted on

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Cycle-tek...I swear by it.... Its a C02 shifter, we have it on 6 of our bikes and between all the bikes we have missed a total of 3 shifts in 5 years...I actually think I have some pics of one mounted on a first gen. Give me till tomorrow and I will post them up

·
Registered
860 Posts
I got two buddies that drag race 1st gens. Both have the exact same air shifter setup, one has a stock clutch the other has a muzzy lockup. The guy with the stock clutch can only get it to shift on the street, just isn't consistent on the track. The other guy with the lock up has no problems at all. I don't have one on my bike just the info I can provide. I know there are plenty of others running them with no problems. One thing we surmised was that the paintball gun bottle he was using just wasn't hitting the shifter with enough volume. He got tired of messing with it and just foot shifts now.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I got two buddies that drag race 1st gens. Both have the exact same air shifter setup, one has a stock clutch the other has a muzzy lockup. The guy with the stock clutch can only get it to shift on the street, just isn't consistent on the track. The other guy with the lock up has no problems at all. I don't have one on my bike just the info I can provide. I know there are plenty of others running them with no problems. One thing we surmised was that the paintball gun bottle he was using just wasn't hitting the shifter with enough volume. He got tired of messing with it and just foot shifts now.
That paintball. Bottle should be hooked to a regulator that is adjustable just turn up the regulator and it has plenty of power to the cylinder..I can go 2 full races without filling a bottle..that or he doesn't have enough kill time in the box...or he has it hooked up to the wrong wires on the coils

·
Registered
860 Posts
Everything you just said has been gone over. Like I said he can take it out on the street and it grabs every gear. It just seems to not be as consistent at the track and he got tired of messin with it. It's no biggie though he hasnt even started that bike in a month as he's just been racin his bar bike.
To the op, like Cody said I have heard very good things about the cycletek stuff. He sponsors our series and is at most of the races giving support, even guys not running his product.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have anybody heard anything bad about the mps airshifters ? i heard they have lifetime guarantee on there kill boxes, i used to run a pingel airshifter on my old bike and it worked good when it did but had alot of problems out of it.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
I run a MPS co2 set up...love it...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
guarantee

walked up to mps at commerce drags this year, handed him my mps box that was ruined by my son trying to adjust kill time, told him what happened, our fault. gave me a brand new one without saying a word. weve replaced two over the years, free. cant beat mps for service and good will.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another question for you guys. somebody told me i would have to fab or buy a bracket for the shifter is this true or will i be fine ?

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
another question for you guys. somebody told me i would have to fab or buy a bracket for the shifter is this true or will i be fine ?
U can use ur heal guard to make the bracket.... there is a thread I started in the dead racing area about air shifter bracket and another member posted his pics of his set up... I tried it and it works great

·
Registered
49 Posts

if you buy the one from cycle tek everything comes with it and it works perfect, and it depends on how good you footshift if it will help your times.....if your quick at footshifting you it will not help you that much but will help with missing shifts.

on the first gens the top of the shift cylinder with go into a bolt on your subframe behind the small triangle piece under the seat and matt (cycle-tek) will send you everything to do this

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
if you buy the one from cycle tek everything comes with it and it works perfect, and it depends on how good you footshift if it will help your times.....if your quick at footshifting you it will not help you that much but will help with missing shifts.

on the first gens the top of the shift cylinder with go into a bolt on your subframe behind the small triangle piece under the seat and matt (cycle-tek) will send you everything to do this
+1
I promise you can't go wrong with cycle tek. I looked for the pics of the first gen but I don't have them anymore. The kit from cycle-tek comes with everything and its like 370 shipped..

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys where are you'll mountin the co2 bottles at ? my 1st gen doesnt have alot of room like my previous bike lol. i will look into the cycle tek airshifters and see wat they have available. Thx for the info guys and keep em comin in.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I had a custom chainguard made that has a plate where I can put the bottle...E mail matt at cycle tek and have him send you the pics of the first gen.. They had that bottle mounted in a good spot but I can't remember where it was..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts