Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just had a guy give me a 93 CBR 600 F2 with clear title in trade for an engine I had. Since I had no money in it I said why not. I can tell it has been lowsided on the right since the front brake lever is broken and the rearset is ziptied on. lol The bike had been stolen so the ignition is gone and no key for gas cap. All the fairings are gone including the front bracket that holds the headlight and gauge cluster. All the wiring is intact. Other than that, I have went over the bike. The frame and swingarm are fine. Suspension is good, forks are good except for dust caps. The engine runs with no smoking but the valves need to be adjusted and the throttle is hard to turn and sticks, and from what I can tell the stator cover is the only thing that has been resealed. Tranny shifts good and clutch is fine.

So, anybody think it's worth fixing? My fiance is on a 91 Ninja 250 and is about ready for an upgrade. There are a good amount of parts on Ebay and aftermarket plastics are $300. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Dead bang reliable motors. Set it up nekkid for a bit before dumping a ton of money in it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I bought a silver, black, and red one brand new in 93. I put a ton of miles on that thing.

I've been looking at 600's lately to run on trackdays. They are pretty cheap right now. I've found a couple 05's (R6 & GSXR) mint cond. average mileage, full exhaust's for just over $3k. Point being, I wouldn't spend much $ on it at all.

Pics.?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hell yeah! I would fix it up and keep it. Use it for whatever.
I had a '92' F2. Used it for a track bike instead of my gixxer a couple of years back.
Man that little thing was bullet proof. I obtained mine almost the same way you got yours.
A friend wrecked it (not bad) and just didn't want it anymore.
He had a pocket full of money from deployments and he wanted a new bike, so he let me have it dirt cheap. I didn't even worry about fixing it up.
I used it for a track bike to hone my skills. I personally crashed on it at the track about 5 different times.
I am 6'0 tall and weighed about 215 lbs back then. It wasn't the fastes thing in the straights, but I handled all comers in the corners. Inside and outside. I was fearless on that little thing. I used to give guys on much bigger and faster bikes a run for their money. Even hurt some feelings on it. I ran Pirelli Supercorsas SC2's on that little sucker and it stuck like glue.
People would tell me that I was too big for that bike, but after they would see me on the track with it, some of them were amazed.
The guys at the track nicknamed it Lil' Red. It was "fugly", but when we were on the track we meant buisness!
Later, I fixed it back up like new, painted it and gave it to my wife. I later sold it before leaving Germany for about $2300.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
They are good bikes but I wouldn't put more than 1000 into repairing it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, appreciate the advice. I'm thinking about maybe a grand in it. Nice pics Highsider. I'll get some pics up. It's raining right now and the CBR is covered outside while the Ninjas are cozy in the shop. haha It will be getting a diff. color scheme though because the tank is yellow and purple.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
That was my first sportbike back in '91. Great bikes, especially as a "next step" bike for your fiance. As long as it doesn't cost more than a grand or two to fix I'd go for it.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
My buddy owned one that he stretched and dropped a 900R engine in with N2O. Too bad it always overheated and still wasn't that quick. Good little bike in stock form though.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought that bike brand new in 1994 when I was in the Army and came back from overseas in Somalia.
It was my 2nd bike (1st FZR 600)
It was yellow, Black and purple and put I on a Vance and Hines SS2r pipe and jet kit!

It was a bad ass little bike. I loved that bike when i had it.
jammed it for about 27,000 miles before I sold it. I NEVER had ANY issues with it ever! (its a Honda)

I ended up buying my 1994 900rr and I still had the F2 so it sat alot. I ended up needing some cash $$$ so she went bye bye!

Enjoy it man!!:eek:ccasion1

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
The wife still has one. Never had a problem with it. She loved it; took me 6 years to talk her into getting something new.
WOW, That's clean!! Very nice.

OP- good luck with the project.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a 94. It was my second sportbike. I came off a 88 Hurricane 600 to get my F2. The motor was rock solid for sure but I think I remember something about engine failures due to riding long wheelies because of the oil sump? That may have been the CBR900 though. Anyway, this isn't my bike below but it is the color scheme I had...man the old days:

·
Registered
536 Posts
the only thing that i remember that sucked was the rubber piece of the mirrors always coming loose off at the base by the windscreen.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Hey... What part of Columbia you from????

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had a 1994 CBR600F2 it was my first bike, and to be honest i loved it. i paied $6000 for it back in 1996 it had 8000K miles on it. drove it till 2005 with just oil and tire changes. The Bike never gave me any issues. Sold the bike 2005 and got a honda RC51. The guy I sold it to ended giving it to his wife in 2008. The bike has 80,000 miles on it and still runs like it did the first day i owned it. as everyone else states, for $1500 you can just about rebuild it from the ground up using used parts, and get many years to come on it. great bike!!!! keep it and good luck- keep us posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey... What part of Columbia you from????
Actually out in Pelion where you are.

Started working on it a bit yesterday. Found out the radiator was JB welded in a few spots. lol A couple problem areas in the wiring harness too. Oh well, it's a project. At least all the parts I've been hunting are cheap.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
Actually out in Pelion where you are.

Started working on it a bit yesterday. Found out the radiator was JB welded in a few spots. lol A couple problem areas in the wiring harness too. Oh well, it's a project. At least all the parts I've been hunting are cheap.[/QUOTE

im out of pelion as well.... i live at the corner of water tank rd & summerland ct....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts