Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post and my 2012 10r is only at 361miles(2days old).

On the second day i took the new bike out on a well known NY twisty section and when i got back home i saw i had the tires on and off the edges. I was hanging off the bike aggressively so i feel i need a tire with more of a lean angle.

The front tire was fully on the edge on the right, just off on the left.
The rear was marking the "sidewall edge" on the right and to the edge on the left. And that was w/less than 300mile on the bike.

The stock tires(bt-0014?) seem to have great feel and grip but i don't have the confidence in them after seeing how the looked after my first spirited ride.

What i am looking for in a tire is a "street tire", i need it to:
1. Warm up quick or preform great cold as i am rarely on roads that get sun, and i like to just hop on and go.
2. Have a better lean angle, i low side here and there on the street and i dont want to run into this on this beauty if possible!!
3. Price and mileage are not concerns, but i would like a responsive and quick turn in. The Pilot Pures on my other bike seem to take extra effort but have great specs on paper.

I am still breaking in the motor, haven't been over 90mph but damn does this bike feel like current technology.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I knew i would forget some extra info.

I understand that i can go from the 190/55 up to a 190/60 and that would give me some extra contact patch on the sides of the rear tire.
I have even read on this forum that some are using a 200/60/17.
No options for the same theory for the front right? I can only go lower on the profile(120/60/17).

Any thoughts on playing around with the sizes, how will that effect the feel/performance. Will it be harder to turn in/slower response?

Edit. I am about 145lbs and the suspension feels kinda firm but not overly so, i dont even know how to begin making improvements in that department. How important is that to my overall experience?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You must be ready for World Super Bike if you're out riding the BT-016's! Maybe you're leaning too far over? I've actually felt the stock tires aren't bad, but YMMV. Maybe some Dunlop Q2's or ?????? I don't think any tire is going to let you lean the bike even further over. If you're going edge to edge on the stock tires and they're holding on, then that means they're doing their job. Take it easy on the street.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,341 Posts
So, you've got the entire front tire used up edge-to-edge basically? You've got to be dragging hard parts if that's the case. The front tire is designed with more curvature so you still have some contact patch left when the rear runs out. I gotta see some pics of these tires.

The Dunlop Q2's are great tires. They wear out quickly, but stick like glue. They won't give you much more lean but they will stick better than the OEM 'Stones.

Going to a 190/60 will add more contact patch leaned over and be more rounded in the center to help get you to the edge of it quicker. You'll sacrifice some straightline stability and it will gear your bike down a bit being larger and heavier. As for the front, dropping the height to a 120/60 will only flatten out the profile and cause the steering response to slow down.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yeah, here are pics of mine. Stock BT-016, roughly 2400 miles on them. As you can see my rear is "almost" to the edge and the front still has a ways to go. I can't imagine how you have used up the entire front, unless it was from a low-side!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here are the pics, broken down they are:
1. Front left
2. Front right
3. Rear left
4. Rear right(taken today because i got all flustered and forgot to sunday night after the ride due to the emence amout of chain grease everywhere including the sidewall that got spun onto the edge of the thread(that tire was at the edge when on the top of the mountain) The sidewall has a heavy deposit if grease on it..........not very happy about that!!!! i have had a broken wrist for 3months now, got my new cast for the next 6weeks today.
5. The current milage
6. Where i was when i was having fun(Bear Mountain NY).

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
I wouldnt go with the 60's....I was just lookin at a local racer that very well known in my area and he went to a 60..Didnt use it all up...Weight is noticeable to..Stick with the 55 i say..
I to have noticed a few guys sayin stockers were not confidence inspireing,i have a gen 3 and thinkin about the pirelli rossos..

Best bet is read a few reviews and get their weights and come back for the thoughts of the guys here..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You must be ready for World Super Bike if you're out riding the BT-016's! Maybe you're leaning too far over? I've actually felt the stock tires aren't bad, but YMMV. Maybe some Dunlop Q2's or ?????? I don't think any tire is going to let you lean the bike even further over. If you're going edge to edge on the stock tires and they're holding on, then that means they're doing their job. Take it easy on the street.
Never been on the track(bike) but i always have people asking to go, even offering my the licence. I just always felt i push to hard and will get hurt(low side into a wall or low side and get hit.
I hear the Q2's dont warm up quick and dont grip well cold, if thats true i dont want those tires!!!
I am thinking Hyper S2's or Power 2ct's?

Id love to see a Picture of your "Front Street Tire" with No Strips on them!
See post 9

So, you've got the entire front tire used up edge-to-edge basically? You've got to be dragging hard parts if that's the case. The front tire is designed with more curvature so you still have some contact patch left when the rear runs out. I gotta see some pics of these tires.

The Dunlop Q2's are great tires. They wear out quickly, but stick like glue. They won't give you much more lean but they will stick better than the OEM 'Stones.

Going to a 190/60 will add more contact patch leaned over and be more rounded in the center to help get you to the edge of it quicker. You'll sacrifice some straightline stability and it will gear your bike down a bit being larger and heavier. As for the front, dropping the height to a 120/60 will only flatten out the profile and cause the steering response to slow down.
This is the second front tire i have buried on the street, its hard and takes faster speeds to get low on the front in my experience.
As for dragging "hard parts", lol.......well the left knee of my jeans are now stonewashed.
I am worried about the cold performance of the Q2
Thank you for the description of the 190/60 scenario, does anyone else have input on the 190/60 option?

I wouldnt go with the 60's....I was just lookin at a local racer that very well known in my area and he went to a 60..Didnt use it all up...Weight is noticeable to..Stick with the 55 i say..
I to have noticed a few guys sayin stockers were not confidence inspireing,i have a gen 3 and thinkin about the pirelli rossos..

Best bet is read a few reviews and get their weights and come back for the thoughts of the guys here..
Thank you for your opinion, duly noted

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
To be honest, it looks to me like you have a bit more lean left on the tires, and maybe by the looks of it you're more comfortable turning right than left? Just keep in mind, using all the tire's available traction on the street can be a recipe for disaster.

I actually have liked the stock BT016's up until recently. My front tire is getting pretty shagged and has given me a somewhat "vague" feeling lately. I'm thinking about going with the new Bridgestone S20's next.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am happy to take any picks, give any background if that helps me get a serious response.

I am 33, i started streetbikes at 15-16 and have been on dirtbikes since 3.
I do all sorts of riding from group rides with over 1k riders to solo runs.
I do twisties when im bored and i stunt when im with friends.
Stunting is really where my focus has been but with a broken wrist thats out so I got this 10r after i rode my friend 08 last year.

On camera i have a 10.5 min wheelie but i have done way longer, problems disappear on one wheel.

My current bikes, quads excluded.
12 zx10r
07 zx6r
06 xb12r
04 636
02 gsxr750
09 crf150
04 nsr50r

My past bikes, dirt and quad excluded.
87 yamaha 550
86 cb1100f
95 gsxr750
02 gsxr750

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To be honest, it looks to me like you have a bit more lean left on the tires, and maybe by the looks of it you're more comfortable turning right than left? Just keep in mind, using all the tire's available traction on the street can be a recipe for disaster.

I actually have liked the stock BT016's up until recently. My front tire is getting pretty shagged and has given me a somewhat "vague" feeling lately. I'm thinking about going with the new Bridgestone S20's next.
I have room on the front tire on the left, but the rear left is not showing correctly due to the grease on the thread :BangHead:

Funny thing is i am usually lower on the left due to the crown of the road but i think this was due to the fact of hanging off the bike i was closer to the ground on the left so i stopped the lean.

Edit: Is that heat in your tires from the track? Looks pretty gnarly if thats street!!!

The S20's sound interesting, the only other street tire i have thought about was the Power 2ct, how do they compare?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,341 Posts
Well I have had no warm up issues with my Q2s and they have not given me anything but good experiences. Well, other than mileage that is. I like them better than the 2CTs I ran (Powers and Pures).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Get yourself some angels and enjoy the next 8000 mi :) they get slick on the track when too hot but great for street.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Supercorsa sp arethe best street tire I have ever used and the most expensive. The grip and amount of feel is amazing. They work great in cold weather too. I just got caught in rain and they have terrible grip in damp roads but still amazing feel/feedback. I'm done some knee dragging angles and still have tons of tire left.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I have had no warm up issues with my Q2s and they have not given me anything but good experiences. Well, other than mileage that is. I like them better than the 2CTs I ran (Powers and Pures).
I am getting a fair amount of suggestions for the Q2's(not just here), i will be looking into their reviews.

Get yourself some angels and enjoy the next 8000 mi :) they get slick on the track when too hot but great for street.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Those are touring tires and might not have the slicky and deep sidewall im looking for but damn they are expensive!! Does anyone else have any thoughts on the pirelli angels?

Supercorsa sp arethe best street tire I have ever used and the most expensive. The grip and amount of feel is amazing. They work great in cold weather too. I just got caught in rain and they have terrible grip in damp roads but still amazing feel/feedback. I'm done some knee dragging angles and still have tons of tire left.
Interesting!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
i just put q2's on my gen 3 and the rear tire over run is terrible. My bike shakes like its having a seizure. I put the bike on the stand and placed a wood block behind the rear tire and there is a huge difference from the lowest to the tallest spot of the tire. Im not sure what to do, i bought the set from sportbiketrackgear a couple weeks ago. Anyone know who i should contact? Sorry, don't mean to jack your thread OP

1 - 20 of 69 Posts