Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had some issues with my bike which have since been fixed but during that time I was hyper-aware of every little thing and I noticed my oil level seemed kind of high, like to the top of the sight glass window or just above. I find this weird because I am always really careful in making sure to fill it right in the middle of the sight glass. It has been about a year or just over since I last changed it because i hardly rode last season, but when I did change it it was pretty black; no creamy color at all...

I suppose I could have just somehow overfilled and not noticed it until now, but is there any other cause of this magical oil level increase other than gasket issues?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
You do know that the oil is pumped from the oil pan, through a filter, through the crankshaft, and up to the valve head, right? There's a lot of oil in the motor that all drains back to the oil pan when shutdown. It takes time for that thick oil to drain through all those small passages and openings and you'll never get it all out. Depending on how you drain and refill the oil after a change and how you measure it, then stuff likes this happens. It's not some magical or religious ritual that conjures fluid from nothing, it's called Hydrodynamics. Or Oilology if you will.

FYI - Oil changes are based on time or mileage, or a combination of both. Letting it sit in your motor for more than a year just because it "isn't used much" is disturbing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Recently had some issues with my bike which have since been fixed but during that time I was hyper-aware of every little thing and I noticed my oil level seemed kind of high, like to the top of the sight glass window or just above. I find this weird because I am always really careful in making sure to fill it right in the middle of the sight glass. It has been about a year or just over since I last changed it because i hardly rode last season, but when I did change it it was pretty black; no creamy color at all...

I suppose I could have just somehow overfilled and not noticed it until now, but is there any other cause of this magical oil level increase other than gasket issues?

If you know for certain the oil level was correct then pop the fill cap and smell for fuel. I had the same problem last year and it turned out to be the injectors staying open after shutdown do to a faulty Power commander. It would flood the cylinders and eventually creep past the rings and into the pan. Hopefully you just overfilled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only time I ever saw this was on the old , carbed bikes, and had to do with fuel getting down into the crankcase.

When you drained it, you noticed a fuel smell and could visually see how thin the oil was.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Some of it could have to do with the surface you're using under your rear stand. A new spot vs. the one used previously might tilt the bike over to the right side a little more and the oil will read higher in the sight glass.

Reactions: rcannon
1 - 6 of 6 Posts