Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Welcome!

I'm not sure how that bolt could have been tightened that much. Either the wrong bolt was used that was too long or you completely missed the tab in the frame it goes through to secure the tank.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

Now that the tank is punctured, you basically have 2 options. You can buy a new tank to replace it. Or you can try to find someone to weld a plug in to keep it from leaking. The chances of finding someone willing to weld a thin piece of steel inside a tank with flammable liquids will be difficult. You'll also need to remove the fuel pump to be able to get in there. Other than that, JB Weld makes a petroleum resistant product that can seal metal cracks. That's not a crack though. This stuff is not intended to seal punctures. Small pinholes are one thing, but that's way bigger. You would literally have to completely force that stuff into the hole and pray that it hardens and seals correctly so in 6 months you don't leak fuel all over your hot motor while riding it. And then the threads for the bolt won't work any longer.

Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
809 Posts
Take a chance with the tankweld and see what happens. I'd try to figure out a way to create a vaccum on the outside bolt hole and draw the product through the break. Then tap the threads over again so you can use the bolt hole.

·
The Pace
7,211 Posts
Once I noted JB made the product for a tank I thought ok. However, the problem you have is bizarre due to the bolts. Sky's point noted that the bolt must be the wrong size. So...not liking the JD weld for this solution as the bolt's problem length still exists. My vote is new tank; go to salvage moto place. Or rather, call and order is best as they all ship stuff.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Skydork had the right idea but I think this image is a little more appropriate lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Actually I stand corrected. That looks more like an oil fire. :)

·
Registered
In Memory of SkyDork 11.28.2021
225 Posts
Have you tried Duct-tape? I hear it is a well-rounded solution for everything!!

When my tires are balding, I just wrap them up in Duct-tape and get another 250 miles or so.

And yes, I am just kidding.

SkyDork has some great advice above. And if it were me, I'd get a new tank!! This is your life you are rolling the dice with.

Use Duct-tape on your old worn out socks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts