Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this small but deep scratch on my tank and a few minor ones like the one shown on the tail section. I have ordered touch up paint and matching base coat from colorrite-

can anyone give me any pointers as to exactly what to do? do I need a filler? special type of polish, etc., etc...? any tips would be highly apprecited,

thx

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
If it were my problem to solve, I know I would either have to take it to a pro for paint or get a prescription for Xanax and chill. Never been satisfied with a touch-up. Good luck with your fix. I'm sure my talent in this area is at the low end of the scale.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I can't really see the scratches in the pics, but if it is touch up paint that comes in a little bottle with a brush then...... I would find a woman that knows how to paint her fingernails and ask her to paint in the touch-up the same way. It works, trust me.

Problem with YOUR (and MY) paint is that it is Pearl Blazing Orange. That requires a Blazing Orange basecoat with a pearl topcoat. I know that Cyclesurge.com sells OEM matched TOUCHUP paint (with a brush) in Pearl Blazing Orange that DOES NOT REQUIRE a topcoat of pearl, which sounds easier.
Anyhow, if it is two-part deal then you put on the blazing orange paint first and then a coat of the pearl on top. You could then wet-sand slightly then just buff it out.
I don't know. I've never used a brush to paint a vehicle before. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it were my problem to solve, I know I would either have to take it to a pro for paint or get a prescription for Xanax and chill. Never been satisfied with a touch-up. Good luck with your fix. I'm sure my talent in this area is at the low end of the scale.

Haha, you sound like my room mate :crackup: He is anal as hell about his bike too, and mine are always trashed from the track.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Get a detail brush from hobby lobby and fill it in best you can with the colorite touch up, try and build the repair area up a little more with several coats and then wet sand with 2000 grit, they you will need to buff lightly with some very fine compound or you will ruin the repair, it will look better but not perfect, you will probably still be able to see it, but it will look better.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your suggestions guys...I got the base and matching paint from colorrite and I applied them tonight. Tomorrow, going to do wet sanding with 1000 and 2000 paper and then use scratch remover/polish and wax...I should have "after" pics to post by then

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey it gives it personality

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I had success with the ones on the tail...after wet sanding for an hour and aggressive polishing they are barely visible from most angles...not so much luck with the deep one on the tank...but I'll keep applying coats and sanding and we'll see....

stay tuned for pics...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I got this stuff called Lanks chip repair and I used it on my car and it did a surprisingly good job. If you're in Toronto we can can gice it a try and git errr done!
________
Full melt bubble hash

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
how did this come out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts