Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always use this oil in all my bikes but I found that after 3-4 oil change, special on my last two bike (ZZR1200 and the ZX-10R) that I sometimes get difficulty in downshifting...as if the gears, or plate or fork or wathever in the transmission get's kindda stuck.

Often it's getting to a complete stop when you clutch and downshift more then on gear...it just wont go more then one at the time if I don't relase the clutch between gears.

It' a bit of a nuisance on the street...but since I'm going to do more track days...I wouldn't want to miss a shift or catch a 'false' neutral on the track.

So anyone had that problem...any suggestion on engine oil...

thanks

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have gotten away from Motul. It performed okay but seemed to wear out faster than other oils over the same amount of time. I now use Elf Moto oil, either semi-synth or full synthetic. Depending on how much $$ I have at the time of purchase. The full synth is about the best stuff I have used, ever.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have gotten away from Motul. It performed okay but seemed to wear out faster than other oils over the same amount of time. I now use Elf Moto oil, either semi-synth or full synthetic. Depending on how much $$ I have at the time of purchase. The full synth is about the best stuff I have used, ever.
:+1:
Discard that 5100, at least for the 10
Castrol R4 is also a good choice

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oil Brand...

This oil question just cought my eye...Anyone ever use Royal Purple on there bikes? Im pretty sure they make it specific for bikes, I ask only because thats all I ran on both my prior Mustangs (2000 GT, and 2003 Cobra). I Had that stuff in the trans, motor and the rear-end.

There was an article some time ago that guaranteed extra Horse Power, and was tested before and after. I believe the results where in the neighborhood of 2-3% HP gains at the dyno.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I started using that oil since maybe a 1000 miles and replace it with the same stuff for every oil change, the bike now has about 18k. At first I would have problems with the bike going into gear when accelerating fast but it was a hit and miss thing never all the time but over time it never really happened much after some miles on the bike and drag racing.

Then just in the last week or so my clutch went out and replaced it and soaked the clutches. I had problems after that with the clutch needing constant adjustment at first by the clutch basket. I tried 2 drag strip runs and the first was ok and the second run it seem to go into a false neutral or something when in second gear while racing.......I really don't know at this point it could be nothing just need some more testing.

I will say for street riding so far since I soaked the clutch fibers and done many adjustments the bike shifts like butter now, that means upshifts and downshifts like it never did NEW. If I were you soak the clutch plates and do a proper clutch adjustment that may be your only problem and not a Oil thing at all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started using that oil since maybe a 1000 miles and replace it with the same stuff for every oil change, the bike now has about 18k. At first I would have problems with the bike going into gear when accelerating fast but it was a hit and miss thing never all the time but over time it never really happened much after some miles on the bike and drag racing.

Then just in the last week or so my clutch went out and replaced it and soaked the clutches. I had problems after that with the clutch needing constant adjustment at first by the clutch basket. I tried 2 drag strip runs and the first was ok and the second run it seem to go into a false neutral or something when in second gear while racing.......I really don't know at this point it could be nothing just need some more testing.

I will say for street riding so far since I soaked the clutch fibers and done many adjustments the bike shifts like butter now, that means upshifts and downshifts like it never did NEW. If I were you soak the clutch plates and do a proper clutch adjustment that may be your only problem and not a Oil thing at all. :thumbsup:
Yes unless the motul is 'gumming up' somewhere in there too...soaking it would remove all the deposit...smae as changing oil maybe....would probably see the difference after the second oil change....food for thoughts...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yes unless the motul is 'gumming up' somewhere in there too...soaking it would remove all the deposit...smae as changing oil maybe....would probably see the difference after the second oil change....food for thoughts...

No it was not a Gum up problem the plates seemed dry.....tell you what you go ahead and change the oil to something else and report back, but make sure you give an immediate report back to see if Oil had anything to do with it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it was not a Gum up problem the plates seemed dry.....tell you what you go ahead and change the oil to something else and report back, but make sure you give an immediate report back to see if Oil had anything to do with it. :wink:
euh...yes sir!...but might be reporting in the spring...as riding season is mostly at the end up here....

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
euh...yes sir!...but might be reporting in the spring...as riding season is mostly at the end up here....
Well if your going to report back in spring this thread will be on most likely page 39....I thought you needed help for a quick response it seems you don't care or it's not a big issue :badteeth: good luck though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to figure out why it does that... i really think it's the oil... I had same thing happened to me with mobil one red cap...only worse...and switching back to Motul lessened the problem...now if some riders have the same problem i do with the same oil...it might mean i'm on to something...if not then it's either me that didn't shift right those few time or mean a more serious problem with the transmission...

I'm not rushing into any solution...just analysing and gathering info before I do anything... trying another oil is cheap and easy...but then what if it's additives in Motul that are responsible...changing to an oil with the same additive wont do any good...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I need to figure out why it does that... i really think it's the oil... I had same thing happened to me with mobil one red cap...only worse...and switching back to Motul lessened the problem...now if some riders have the same problem i do with the same oil...it might mean i'm on to something...if not then it's either me that didn't shift right those few time or mean a more serious problem with the transmission...

I'm not rushing into any solution...just analysing and gathering info before I do anything... trying another oil is cheap and easy...but then what if it's additives in Motul that are responsible...changing to an oil with the same additive wont do any good...

Well, that's my point and your not getting it. Changing Oil is cheap and easy but doing the proper adjustments on the clutch and soaking the clutch fibers is cheaper and just as easy....it's up to you which route you want to go.:wink:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that's my point and your not getting it. Changing Oil is cheap and easy but doing the proper adjustments on the clutch and soaking the clutch fibers is cheaper and just as easy....it's up to you which route you want to go.:wink:
Might be a little tougher thought...never did clutch job...so I wouldn't know what I'm getting into...but if i have too...I will...maybe a winter project while i do other things to the bike.

Will look up clutch removal / installation in the shop manual...thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Might be a little tougher thought...never did clutch job...so I wouldn't know what I'm getting into...but if i have too...I will...maybe a winter project while i do other things to the bike.

Will look up clutch removal / installation in the shop manual...thanks
That's the cool thing about this site many things have been covered on the 10R in the "Product Reviews and How To's" section and there are 2 clutch How TO's :thumbsup:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

basically if you keep your bike on the side stand and remove the clutch cover you will most likely loose only a few table spoons of oil and can even reuse the gasket like I did and some reported reusing it more than 4 times after removal.

The rest is in the How TO's but just remove the plates and soak them...then adjust as the manual says.....I think it's better to adjust per. manual when the bike is hot.

bloo

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the cool thing about this site many things have been covered on the 10R in the "Product Reviews and How To's" section and there are 2 clutch How TO's :thumbsup:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

basically if you keep your bike on the side stand and remove the clutch cover you will most likely loose only a few table spoons of oil and can even reuse the gasket like I did and some reported reusing it more than 4 times after removal.

The rest is in the How TO's but just remove the plates and soak them...then adjust as the manual says.....I think it's better to adjust per. manual when the bike is hot.

bloo
so you basically did this then:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

Is it possible if you look in the first pic...that the clutch plates were not aligned properly to begin with.... cause they need to be installed all aligned except for the last one...as stated in the final steps.

How can you do the adjustment hot? do you do the disinstall/soak/reinstall...then go for a ride and open it up again to retorque adjust every thing?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
so you basically did this then:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

Is it possible if you look in the first pic...that the clutch plates were not aligned properly to begin with.... cause they need to be installed all aligned except for the last one...as stated in the final steps.

How can you do the adjustment hot? do you do the disinstall/soak/reinstall...then go for a ride and open it up again to retorque adjust every thing?
Yeah that’s the link. Just make sure the last fiber is offset one counter clockwise…. pic. looks right to me. Also, make sure you put the plates back in the same order and facing the same way they came out from the hub.

Sorry about the confusion on adjusting when hot. I was talking about the clutch cable adjustment you need to do after everything is bolted up. I did mine when the bike was cold and had to redo it a few times when the bike was hot after a ride because I started to get slack in the clutch line…..but I also installed new steels and fiber plates so that may be the reason and may not be an issue with you if decide to just soak your plates.

bloo

·
Registered
753 Posts
No it was not a Gum up problem the plates seemed dry..... :wink:
Well, actually this is the way the plates and fibers should look when you disassemble the clutch.
The clutch is not submerged in oil; it´s just heavily splashed; and also the centrifugal force from the high speed spinning forces the oil out.
Soak the new disks in oil for about a day (to let them absorb as high amount of oil as possible) and install them taking care of the order (disk-plate-disk...)
Once you are ready to ride, give them a little break-in period. I suggest not to drag-race it inmediately after assembly. You may ruin the whole work.
With the bike in a center stand, engine off, engage first, fully pull the clutch with one hand and with the other hand you should be able to spin the rear wheel with no effort. If it seems to drag adjust it till that drag disappears.:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well, actually this is the way the plates and fibers should look when you disassemble the clutch.
The clutch is not submerged in oil; it´s just heavily splashed; and also the centrifugal force from the high speed spinning forces the oil out.
Soak the new disks in oil for about a day (to let them absorb as high amount of oil as possible) and install them taking care of the order (disk-plate-disk...)
Once you are ready to ride, give them a little break-in period. I suggest not to drag-race it inmediately after assembly. You may ruin the whole work.
With the bike in a center stand, engine off, engage first, fully pull the clutch with one hand and with the other hand you should be able to spin the rear wheel with no effort. If it seems to drag adjust it till that drag disappears.:thumbsup:
I only soaked mine for 2hrs but massaged them a few times in the oil. To late on the drag racing thing I already did 2 Runs :badteeth:

Good tips though :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts