Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've registered bikes in Athens (Clarke County) before and there was NO inspection involved.. I just took the title, bill of sale, and my drivers license the Tag Office to register the bike..

Now that I'm actually in the city of Atlanta, I understand that there's a new process.. Something about me needing to take the bike to a Inspection Officer, or to a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) to have them do an inspection and to run the VIN number through a database..

Anyone know anything about that?? How does this process work?

Reason I ask, my new 10 doesn't have a fender, and i'm trying to see if I need to rig something up with a light (shining on the tag) before I go..

How 'thorough' are they at these 'inspections'..

this is NOT the same as emissions...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, is there any quick LED stickons that someone can recommend, just in case??

Something I could get in a small strip, purchased locally from like a Radio Shack, maybe an inch or two long that I can peel off some double sided velcro and stick it up over the tag, then take it back off after I get the okay..

anyone had any experience with that??

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have been buying and selling in atlanta and never ever had a single issue like this. WAS your bike a rebuilt or theft recoverey ?

Also is it a out of state title?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Florida title.. Clear as the day is long..

I haven't tried to register it yet (as I haven't had time).. I'm just getting mods and gear...

this is information I got offline..

You'll need the following paperwork to apply for a motorcycle registration and title:

Georgia driver's license or ID card.

A completed Tag/Title Application.

Valid title, manufacturer's certificate of origin, or registration papers showing you own the motorcycle.

Proof of insurance. Liability insurance is required in the state of Georgia.

Proof of Georgia residency (utility bill, pay stub with address, letterhead signed by your employer).

A Certificate of Inspection completed by any law enforcement officer or tag agent.

Appropriate fees and taxes―these vary by county (see below).

Emissions tests are not required for motorcycles.
The red bolded part is what threw me off... that wasn't required in Athens (Athens Clarke County)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything I'm reading says it's something they started in 2010 to stop the influx of stolen bikes landing in the Atlanta area.. I believe I read or saw somewhere about how a whole LOT of stolen bikes were ending up on Road Atlanta, AMS (Atlanta Motor Speedway), or on the various drag tracks down here...

This way it has to go through some type of inspection and I guess they spot check VIN's and look for sanding and restamping, or other discrepancies..

I'm all for it.. it's no big deal, I just wanted to know how thorough they were with these 'inspections'..

I'd hate to get shot down for not having a light over my tag.. had that happen before in DC, so I always kept the big fender and put it back on every year when I had to go through inspection... (DC makes you re-register YEARLY, and get inspected YEARLY)..

·
Registered
93 Posts
im sure you could find a small LED light at auto zone or the alikes, i got one for my tag, took about 10 minutes to wire up. im down in valdosta and we dont have to get ours inspected at all. which fender are you talking about? the one that goes directly over the tire? im sure thats not needed at all if thats the one your talking about

·
Registered
93 Posts
heres some GA cycle laws to btw

Safety Helmet Required by law for all riders; Georgia Code, 40-6-315
State Funded Rider Ed Available for all eligible applicants

Eye Protection Required by law unless equipped with windscreen
Daytime Use of Headlight Required by state law; Georgia Code, 40-6-312(e)
Modulating headlight permitted per Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, 571.108

Passenger Seat Required if carrying a passenger
Passenger Footrest Required if carrying a passenger

Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers To be used for communication purposes only

Periodic Safety Inspection None
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) One required by law

Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Not Required on motorcycles manufactured prior to January 1, 1972; Georgia Code, 40-8-25

Muffler No accoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.

State Insurance Requirements 33-7-11 (a)(1) No automobile liability policy or motor vehicle liability policy shall be issued ... unless it contains an endorsement or provisions undertaking to pay the insured all sums which said insured shall be legally entitled to recover as damages from the owner or operator of an uninsured motor vehicle, within limits exclusive of interests and costs which at the option of the insured shall be: (A) Not less than $25,000.00 because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident, and, subject to such limit for one person, $50,000.00 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and $25,000.00 because of injury to or destruction of property...
Handlebar Height Maximum of 15" above seat

Rider-Education Waiver Skill & Knowledge Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes

Accept RiderEd Completion Card From Other States N/A
Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Yes. Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane; 40-6-312

Lane Splitting No.
The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.
Georgia Code, 40-6-312
Lemon Law Coverage No.

·
Registered
93 Posts
also when mounting your plate

The Georgia code 40-2-41 only says that the plate has to be affixed to the rear of the vehicle and can't swing.

Also 40-8-23 says you gotta have a licence plate light at night, and it has to make your plate clearly legible from 50 feet to the rear.

hope any of this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts