Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Camry that has the coldest ac ever (gives you an earache)!
BUT...it works fine for the first 15 minutes then goes warm...and in Texas that gets warm in a hurry. I can hear the compressor kick on and off when the button is pushed and there are no bubbles in the glass when it is on. You can turn it off for 10 to 15 minutes then turn it back on and it will work again. Sometimes it works all day...Is it the expansion valve? Dryer? a relay?

·
Registered
137 Posts
^+1. sounds low, should see movement in sight glass, when running a/c. as far as working all day sometimes, it depends on outside temps.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have to say that is the cheapest option to try...from an idiots
logic, since it is icy cold for a while, I thought it must have plenty of refrigerant.
I know nothing about AC's..

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys....we prolly have enough brain power here on this site to split the atom!! (as long as not to many gixxers logged in)

·
Registered
139 Posts
i worked with car acs for years.
if your saying its ice cold for 15 minutes then there is PLENTY of refridgerent in your system , would NOT recomend recharging it witih out FIRST vacuming it.

I fell your problem is your dryer.
is probably is slihtly dirty (acts kind of like a filter) and its freezing up blocking your freon presure in the system.
to replace the dryer, you have to evacuate the system. then recharge.
if you dont have a vacume or want to do it yourself, then contribute to the ozon depletion, and just do it, but it will never be as cold if your not going to have it serviced properly by evacuating the system, replacing the dryer then properly recharging it with freon and oil.

·
Registered
539 Posts
:dontknow: :thumbsup: Hey loueber i also have a A/C problem its my 98 pontiac gtp it has dual climate control por passender and driver well my driver side its not cold it just blow hot air, but my passenger side its cold any ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
each side has a sensor ( npt sure exactly where yours is as i never worked on that car) the sensors tell the computer to open or close the flaps in your airbox under your dash, it adjust the temp buy taking heat from your heater core and mixing it with the cold air.
becasue you have dual climate. there is a seperation SOMEWEAR in the air duts uner your dash..
so, its either your sensor telling your computer to stay warm for your side, or mechanicle problem such as the flaps sticking or cable broke etc.

im thinking maybe more mechanicle as if you drive alone , then your side would always be adjusting to your taste, where as the passenger with no one in the seat stays constant...

i would say.. do some research online,. see if anyone posted that problem, find out where the sensors are or go under your dash and keep adjusting your passenger and driver side temps.. se if you can see or hear any cables or flaps moving.. maye you might find it stuck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just Joking :) I Do Have 25 Years As A Mechanic And It's Not Missing Freon If It's Cold For For That Long And The Compressor Is Not Cycling . I Can't Tell You What It Is For Sure But It's Probably An Electrcal Problem . Make Sure That The Electric Fan Is On Constantly When The Ac Is On , And If It Is It May Be A Relay That Worn Out Or A Faulty Switch . Here's A Question , If You Leave It Alone Does It Get Cold On It's Own ?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Having worked on my own A/C systems on my cars, you really need to have the proper tools to see what is going on. I'm leaning towards what performancezx10r is thinking. But to be sure you need to have a scantool. First turn on the A/C system. A couple of things will happen. One will be the engine fan will automatically come on. The next thing will be the compressor will kick on. Ensure both of these are happening. This is where a scantool is valuable. Look to see that the ECM is seeing an A/C request and that it doesn't change status. Next see what the A/C pressure switch reads. Compare this reading to a set of gauges thrown on the system. Which leads to the last diagnostic which is to see what the actual system pressure both when the compressor is kicking on and when it is not via the gauges.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
performancezx10r said:
Just Joking :) I Do Have 25 Years As A Mechanic And It's Not Missing Freon If It's Cold For For That Long And The Compressor Is Not Cycling . I Can't Tell You What It Is For Sure But It's Probably An Electrcal Problem . Make Sure That The Electric Fan Is On Constantly When The Ac Is On , And If It Is It May Be A Relay That Worn Out Or A Faulty Switch . Here's A Question , If You Leave It Alone Does It Get Cold On It's Own ?
Not after it quits...you have to turn it off and drive or shut the car off for 10-15 minutes, then it works again. It works perfect when you cold start the car every time.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The problem is that it is freezing up somewhere in the system,Evaporator which is in the dash or the drier which is under the hood. Freon is a brand name commonly reffered to as what is actually refrigerant. Refrigerant is what is actually flowing through the system. It's kinda like the mistake that people make about inline skates. Their all Rollerblades to some people but in all actuality Rollerblades are a name brand and that type of skate is called an inline skate. You probably need refrigerant. With my 15 years of experience working on all types of cooling systems, A/C is the coldest right before it freezes up or breaks! Hope that everyone on here can help you.

·
Registered
788 Posts
if you are refering to me i was talking about the grand prix, not the camry

performancezx10r said:
Here I Am ! I Hate When People Responed To Something They Know Nothing About . I Have 25 Years Experince And I Can Tell You That I Have No Idea !

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I knew you were'nt talking about no Camry (dual zones??)...

Gonna try bleeding the system and replacing lubricant and refrigerant first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts