Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1st gen zx10 and 636 I'm considering making one of them a track bike only. If any expeirenced racers or track goers have any advice of which bike I should track the truck out, or stuff I should expect to encounter in my first season riding on the track that would be awesome. I'm starting here soon as far as building. Thanks guys.

fast, fast, faster, no not even close to fast enough...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i have a 06 10 and a 05 cbr 600rr track bike... now ive ridden both out on the track... i think the 600 is the better bike... it is more nimble and easier to control... plus the weight difference too... i love how the 600 bikes handle... the only downfall is the power of course...but with the 600 i was able to catch up to the bigger bikes through corners.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Most will say to track the 636 over the 10.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Suspension! And put on fiberglass bodywork so you don't destroy the original stuff in a crash.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
what mods have you done to the RR and what would you suggest for the 636
i have e racing plastic, vortex rear sets and clip ons, +3 in rear (depends on track), ss galfer brake lines front and rear,PC3, ignition module, dynojet quick shifter, Full arrow Ti exhaust, fully safety wired, steering dampener (scotts)

now just saving for ohlins suspension

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
oh cant forget, i run slick tires too... you can never be too cheap with rubber

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd go for the 636 and build up your skills then move up.

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I'm a new member and for sure the 636 will be the track bike and why???, because I think by this next weekend I'm going to put the 10 up here for sale. I really would like to keep it and take it to a track. (haven't yet) So we'll see, the belt always tightens this time of year...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have a 04 10r that I used for street and on track days, then got a 05 636 for a track bike. I put my street stuff back on the 10 and do not regret it. The 636 is far above my and most skill levels. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but the 10 is just a better streetbike for me. Heck, just sign up for a track day and take 'em both out there and try 'em. I think you'll find the 636 much more enjoyable for beginning and occasional track use. Definetly get yourself some fiberglass bodywork and quality safety gear and have fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definately go with the 636 for a track bike. Literbikes eat tires alot quicker. If your riding on a tight track you'll find it easier to run better lap times on the 600.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Depends on how much you weigh, but in general, I'd track an '05-'06 636 before a 10R.

I've owned and raced both. I race the 10R still, but that's because I'm stubborn, and 225 lbs.

The 636 was probably a less-finicky platform, with gobs of power.

Everyone else will tell you that the 10R makes enough power to highside you into next Tuesday, but so does the 636. My highside was at 15 MPH, wouldn't have mattered WHAT bike I was riding that day (cold tires, and overconfident. Hey, I'd gone a million laps on that track...).

As mentioned above, the 10R will eat tires faster, too, even at the beginner/novice/first year level.

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet guys. Now besides bikes. I'm going to use a 636. I've been riding on the street liter bikes on down the line for over 6 years and have had already 8 machines and have ridden every sport bike imaginable of the jap manufactures. As far as riding ability for the tracks I'm going to be attending I do feel confident. I also have been reading a few Keith Code books to better my knowledge and understanding. What pointers can I get as far as first day technique? Also a friend of mine told me to go get a road racer license at Blackhawk Farms in Chicago. For my first track season is this reasonable, what's expected, and who of all of you have one. What was it like. Feedback would be great. I can't legally be on the streets for sometime now and have to get my itch so I will be track only this year... Hopefully it's a good itch and I'll be able to meet up with some of you guys for some days... Hollar thats all I will be doing this summer so I will be up to travel to other tracks.:helmet:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sweet guys. Now besides bikes. I'm going to use a 636. I've been riding on the street liter bikes on down the line for over 6 years and have had already 8 machines and have ridden every sport bike imaginable of the jap manufactures. As far as riding ability for the tracks I'm going to be attending I do feel confident. I also have been reading a few Keith Code books to better my knowledge and understanding. What pointers can I get as far as first day technique? Also a friend of mine told me to go get a road racer license at Blackhawk Farms in Chicago. For my first track season is this reasonable, what's expected, and who of all of you have one. What was it like. Feedback would be great. I can't legally be on the streets for sometime now and have to get my itch so I will be track only this year... Hopefully it's a good itch and I'll be able to meet up with some of you guys for some days... Hollar thats all I will be doing this summer so I will be up to travel to other tracks.:helmet:
Hey there,
You can get a race license and try to race, but really nesba track days are where you should try and start. Midwest CCS series is very fast paced and could be pretty dangerous. You'll get all the coaching you need with Nesba, a number of the coaches are Freddy Spncer graduates as well as CCS champions.
I so come on out we'll be a track near you...

http://www.nesba.com/Info/TrackEvents.htm?ddlRegions=0

·
Registered
184 Posts
You'll get all the coaching you need with Nesba

Nesba sucks. Race WERA. You'll get all the schooling you need with WERA.

(I'd personally rather race than do trackdays, but anyone reading this shouldn't take it as a slam on NESBA for it's own sake. It's humor.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definately do a couple of trackdays first before entering into any race! No matter how good you are on the street, start with the slow groups, learn the track, and then progress up to the fastest group before entering a race. This will give you the confidence to go around a bend/corner with guys on your inside and outside, which you seldom encounter on the street. Never be too confident when starting out, that normally hurts!

If you are below 90kg in weight, definately go with the 636, and if you are heavy like me,(110kg-240lbs) use the 10, but get the best rubber you can afford, Dunlop Sportmax GP 211's or Pirelli's, I use the Dunlops, the best there is in my opinion.

Do not try to impress anybody and take it easy in the beginning, especially if you don't have tire-warmers!!

Most of all, enjoy it and relax on the handlebars!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Contrary to most here I would say turn the 10R into your track bike. The reason being that the 10R is just too much bike for the road. You can never get the thing wound up or use it to its maximum on the street without ultimately getting a lot of tickets or getting seriously injured. But at the track the 10R shines. And the adrenaline rush of at 10 at the track will be better than anything the 636 can do for you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I say, turn your 636 into a track whore, build from the suspension up. I have ridden both on the track and deffinitely think my roadies '06 636 to be a whole lot more fun than my 06 10R. But then again they are your scooters, do what you think you need to do.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts