Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looks like a great forum! Been perusing the threads occasionally, however not posting until now.

I've ridden and raced bicycles for a long time. Then riding Kawasaki's since I received my street license in 2016. First ride was a brand new ZX-6R (2014) which I bought winter of 2015. Picked a track 300 the next winter and my CCS race license in 2017. Been racing since then, now have both a 300 and a 400 for the track. Definitely have enjoyed each of these bikes!

Looking forward to the next generation ZX-10r, not that I wouldn't enjoy an earlier model, but just am curious what is next. Been plenty busy with the three other bikes in the meantime.

What are the odds we will see the new model in 2021? If not then certainly feels like it will be released soon!

Enjoy the ride :)

·
Registered
2018 ZX10RR
103 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

Looking forward to the next generation ZX-10r, not that I wouldn't enjoy an earlier model, but just am curious what is next. Been plenty busy with the three other bikes in the meantime.

What are the odds we will see the new model in 2021? If not then certainly feels like it will be released soon!

Enjoy the ride :)
Odds, id says are pretty close to 100% at this point. 10'r for 2021 not announced yet, the peeks from kawa and the "leaks".

However, how new its gonna be? Seems its gonna be more like an "upgrade" rather than a full new thing. More like how gen4 to gen5 was. Same thing with more hp, wings and tft.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
It's gonna be a new gen bike for sure. The 19 and 20 were still gen 5 with finger follower valve actuators and autoblip enabled from factory. A couple more hp but still same bike. 2021 is supposed to be a new gen so some decent overhaul or upgrades should be coming. Never can tell thoigh

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
I noticed that Honda increased weight from the point I liked. Think it's close to whatever we and everyone else has for the super. Reading Sky provides hope but not based upon the 10r history of reason. Have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
I noticed that Honda increased weight from the point I liked. Think it's close to whatever we and everyone else has for the super. Reading Sky provides hope but not based upon the 10r history of reason. Have to wait and see.
Your right about reading the sky. As far as the zx goes, it is all just speculation but based on kawis history as far as generational upgrades, odds are in favor of a new gen. Let's be real, there is no way kawi can come out with yet another model year 10r/rr/se and still continue to use that antiquated, very basic and what now just seams cheap dash/gauge cluster. Every single other manufacturer out there has at least a full color display, how much info they display and what can and can't be adjusted is where they differ and then, well there is kawi, still rocking the same dash that is has been using since what, 2011 or something like that, the gen 4 shares the same cluster right? How about the gen 3? I have not owned either of those gens so don't know for sure but that is my understanding at least the gen 4. The new Honda has fully active suspension which I am sure is partially why the weight has increased so much...keyless ignition is nice too, another sad subject with kawi, still using super ancient style keys on the 10...don't get me wrong cause I love my gen 5 but damn it, why is it even a something I have to think about as far as the dash and telemetry stuff goes. Aprillia and yamaha and bmw for sure have been offering telemetry output and gps etc on thier machines for years, yamaha for sure since 15, aprillia before that, bmw not sure when and I think it is an option but still it is an option. Ducati has got to have it. I'm not into them much but I can't see them not at this point. I have a damn app for my air freshener, my tv, my lights and ac and every other damn thing, why not for my bike...it's just time to get with the times when it comes to tech and user interface imo. But again my opinion. I. Sure others share my sentiments though. I get kawi was keeping it track focused and simple but da fuk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
It's that time of the year! The rumor mill is in full-tilt right now with all the 'what ifs' and 'I wish...' opinions!!!

It'll be confirmed in a month. I would say that the rumored updates will qualify it to be a Gen 6 version, but not a completely new bike. The frame/chassis is supposed to be the same, which is fine since it's already great the way it is. Engine will have a more power and it remains to be seen how that comes about. A bump up to 210HP is predicted, but it will be interesting to see if that's peak power up at 15,000rpm or something like VVT is incorporated to boost low-end and mid-range at all. The rumors also indicate that the rider aid systems will be updated. Traction control, launch control, etc. will likely be updated. But to what extent and how that effects the ride remains to be seen. The bodywork will likely get a pretty good re-styling which will add some wings and new overall shape. That will make it distinguishable from the Gen 5 at least.

There's all this talk of a TFT screen and stuff too. Frankly, my opinion, that upgrade is unneeded. I have the AIM KXK10 on mine and while the pretty colors are nice and it looks fancy, it doesn't provide much of an upgrade. The datalogging feature is the key to that thing! There are times where I'd rather have the OEM cluster installed instead of the fancy screen. I've seen other TFT screens on other bikes and I'm not a big fan of those either. The cool icons that are shown on it take up space on the screen and then all the information gets crammed into the display. That makes the information harder to see and takes more time for your brain to process everything once focused on it. A dimmable, sunlight readable TFT is needed, which the MXK10 is not. Direct sunlight on it washes out the screen and there's glare. If it's bright enough for daytime, then it will blind you at night. I prefer using the night mode which is the colored text on a black background, but most of them are text on a white background for daytime and switch to that at night only. The LED tachometer of the stock instrument is superior to the TFT. The LEDs are brighter and easier to see in your peripheral view. The digital tape is not that easy at all and the digital numbers in 10rpm increments bounce around so much it's not useful unless you want to know when you reach 11,440rpm for something. So be careful what you wish for with that stuff! If they put a TFT screen on the new version it they better manage the display correctly Otherwise, it won't be an "upgrade", just a more problematic, more expensive, harder to work with "feature".

But with all this new stuff comes a new MSRP. I think the base model will see at least a $1000 bump into the mid $16k range. ABS versions will be more, if that's even an option. I don't care or want ABS at all and don't want to pay for that. The RR version will also see that price increase and I wouldn't be surprised if all the new stuff is on the RR only and the base model just gets new bodywork to match the look of the RR but not everything else. We'll see soon!

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
858 Posts
I would love to see big upgrades in the dash, electronic rider aids, electronic suspension.

But, I’m unlikely to buy one, I can’t justify the huge cost for a small upgrade from the Gen4 I have now.

Oh and also move into the 2020’s with all LED headlights.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Yeah most of what I was saying is more what I would like to see. Skydork, you say the aim washes out in the sunlight? No one ever says anything about that on any of the reviews so thank you for mentioning it. I was currious as to if that was a problem or not. If I buy a dash it would be the starlane over the aim. The wireless add on sensors and lean angle and faster wifi connection along with a few other added pluses justify the extra 300 to me. If I were to buy another zx10 it would be the rr since I already have owned the normal gen 5 abs model (2 if them actually) and currently own an SE which is damn near the same as the RR. Uses the same ECU, had the intake cam already too, found that out a few weeks ago when I went to order the kit cam and the dude at the dealership told me my bike oem cam was same part number as the kit cam on the intake. Found that little tid bit Interesting. Not sure on the con rods. But since everything else seems to be the RR spec on my bike guessing those are as well. Makes sense. Why else would the bike have the RR ecu unless the gearing and internals were RR as well. And for my year model, at least MSRP, the SE cost more than the RR so yeah, think although kawi didn't say shit about what was what, that most of the internals are RR..and it was a bonus for the SE owners to discover along the way...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
Yeah most of what I was saying is more what I would like to see. Skydork, you say the aim washes out in the sunlight? No one ever says anything about that on any of the reviews so thank you for mentioning it. I was currious as to if that was a problem or not. If I buy a dash it would be the starlane over the aim. The wireless add on sensors and lean angle and faster wifi connection along with a few other added pluses justify the extra 300 to me. If I were to buy another zx10 it would be the rr since I already have owned the normal gen 5 abs model (2 if them actually) and currently own an SE which is damn near the same as the RR. Uses the same ECU, had the intake cam already too, found that out a few weeks ago when I went to order the kit cam and the dude at the dealership told me my bike oem cam was same part number as the kit cam on the intake. Found that little tid bit Interesting. Not sure on the con rods. But since everything else seems to be the RR spec on my bike guessing those are as well. Makes sense. Why else would the bike have the RR ecu unless the gearing and internals were RR as well. And for my year model, at least MSRP, the SE cost more than the RR so yeah, think although kawi didn't say shit about what was what, that most of the internals are RR..and it was a bonus for the SE owners to discover along the way...
Yeah, the sunlight can wash it out, especially with the sun high and behind you. Maybe I notice it more than other people who post about it. It helps that I have a dark smoke windscreen though that blocks a lot of the sun. It's more noticeable in certain conditions than most of the time though. A clear windscreen would be much more pronounced. We'll see how Kawasaki manages that on the new one.

I'm kinda surprised the SE was only 1 year. The electronic suspension did not attract much attention and buyers. With all the leaks so far, it implies that there will only be 2 versions coming - the 10R and the 10RR. I think the RR will have more of the stuff that's leaked in the rumors so far and the base model won't. Things like you mention will be on the RR, but maybe not the base model. They need to keep the base price down by not updating everything there. So I'm expecting an updated Gen 5.7 version or the base model and a newer, higher power Gen 6 RR model. They'll look the same though with any bodywork updates.

It'll be interesting come Nov 23rd!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting details and fun to hear folks preferences!

Me personally, I would prefer an analog tach dial. Never felt like another implementation performed better for me, although I can see how the current LED tach may allow for more eyes up (peripheral vision) functionality. I am with Sky on the ABS as well, none of my bikes have ABS although I have heard some folks say the newest performance ABS functions very well. Cruise Control is a must, the benefit: it gives folks the opportunity to avoid tickets while they are highway mile munching to the next fun road. LEDs would look the business!

I anticipate a higher red-line will be in store for the 2021 bike given the associated benefits in the current WSBK rule set. We need to keep Jonathan winning! He seems pretty happy with the chassis, so if they improve engine performance he will likely be good to go. But the other teams are on a steep improvement curve presently, so they will be harder to handle next year; need to keep pushing.

The pricing of sports cars and super bikes is getting pretty extreme to me. I hope Kawasaki finds a way to reasonably balance the improvements while providing value for the dollar.

November 23rd... feels pretty far off still!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10RR
103 Posts
Interesting details and fun to hear folks preferences!

Me personally, I would prefer an analog tach dial. Never felt like another implementation performed better for me, although I can see how the current LED tach may allow for more eyes up (peripheral vision) functionality. I am with Sky on the ABS as well, none of my bikes have ABS although I have heard some folks say the newest performance ABS functions very well. Cruise Control is a must, the benefit: it gives folks the opportunity to avoid tickets while they are highway mile munching to the next fun road. LEDs would look the business!

I anticipate a higher red-line will be in store for the 2021 bike given the associated benefits in the current WSBK rule set. We need to keep Jonathan winning! He seems pretty happy with the chassis, so if they improve engine performance he will likely be good to go. But the other teams are on a steep improvement curve presently, so they will be harder to handle next year; need to keep pushing.

The pricing of sports cars and super bikes is getting pretty extreme to me. I hope Kawasaki finds a way to reasonably balance the improvements while providing value for the dollar.

November 23rd... feels pretty far off still!
Cruise control on a supersport doesnt really make sense, buy a 1000sx for that imo.

I think the price is going to go up yup, hope not a lot. For cheap the do have the new 636 which is a great bike and sells under 10k in the states!

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
It's that time of the year! The rumor mill is in full-tilt right now with all the 'what ifs' and 'I wish...' opinions!!!

It'll be confirmed in a month. I would say that the rumored updates will qualify it to be a Gen 6 version, but not a completely new bike. The frame/chassis is supposed to be the same, which is fine since it's already great the way it is. Engine will have a more power and it remains to be seen how that comes about. A bump up to 210HP is predicted, but it will be interesting to see if that's peak power up at 15,000rpm or something like VVT is incorporated to boost low-end and mid-range at all. The rumors also indicate that the rider aid systems will be updated. Traction control, launch control, etc. will likely be updated. But to what extent and how that effects the ride remains to be seen. The bodywork will likely get a pretty good re-styling which will add some wings and new overall shape. That will make it distinguishable from the Gen 5 at least.

There's all this talk of a TFT screen and stuff too. Frankly, my opinion, that upgrade is unneeded. I have the AIM KXK10 on mine and while the pretty colors are nice and it looks fancy, it doesn't provide much of an upgrade. The datalogging feature is the key to that thing! There are times where I'd rather have the OEM cluster installed instead of the fancy screen. I've seen other TFT screens on other bikes and I'm not a big fan of those either. The cool icons that are shown on it take up space on the screen and then all the information gets crammed into the display. That makes the information harder to see and takes more time for your brain to process everything once focused on it. A dimmable, sunlight readable TFT is needed, which the MXK10 is not. Direct sunlight on it washes out the screen and there's glare. If it's bright enough for daytime, then it will blind you at night. I prefer using the night mode which is the colored text on a black background, but most of them are text on a white background for daytime and switch to that at night only. The LED tachometer of the stock instrument is superior to the TFT. The LEDs are brighter and easier to see in your peripheral view. The digital tape is not that easy at all and the digital numbers in 10rpm increments bounce around so much it's not useful unless you want to know when you reach 11,440rpm for something. So be careful what you wish for with that stuff! If they put a TFT screen on the new version it they better manage the display correctly Otherwise, it won't be an "upgrade", just a more problematic, more expensive, harder to work with "feature".

But with all this new stuff comes a new MSRP. I think the base model will see at least a $1000 bump into the mid $16k range. ABS versions will be more, if that's even an option. I don't care or want ABS at all and don't want to pay for that. The RR version will also see that price increase and I wouldn't be surprised if all the new stuff is on the RR only and the base model just gets new bodywork to match the look of the RR but not everything else. We'll see soon!
Yes, frame and geometry are solid. Valves, maybe clutch, starter need strength; hp is perfect for street at 150 +/- so I would argue since I can't keep tires on dorking street stuff, I'm going to go through them faster spinning the rear, as the bike is always greedy for more throttle, but the bike doesn't pay the bills here. Team is rider and bike. If bike unhappy with not enough throttle then she'll want be off. conundrum. But is my kawa engineers will hit 400 pounds, don't care about hp. Hp simply ignores weight and ignores freakin tire prices. :) No sense of reasoning no sense of accountability.

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
The only point that I recognize as an occasional problem is that sometimes can't read the dash when in CHP popo infested areas. Radar working at Ka band, but due to lesser traffic I suspect that the badged dilberts have faster readings due to no ahead cager concealment. New on on me as all I'm used to are a zillion cagers all around except in rural then no popos.

Do they make Ka jammers?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
Yes, frame and geometry are solid. Valves, maybe clutch, starter need strength; hp is perfect for street at 150 +/- so I would argue since I can't keep tires on dorking street stuff, I'm going to go through them faster spinning the rear, as the bike is always greedy for more throttle, but the bike doesn't pay the bills here. Team is rider and bike. If bike unhappy with not enough throttle then she'll want be off. conundrum. But is my kawa engineers will hit 400 pounds, don't care about hp. Hp simply ignores weight and ignores freakin tire prices. :) No sense of reasoning no sense of accountability.
Performance requires sacrifice. Race bikes are about performance and the tire costs are irrelevant. They sell them on the streets to qualify them to be entered into racing events. Doesn't matter what the cost is to the average owner if they aren't racing it. If you want to save money on the price of tires, then Kawasaki makes the Ninja 400 for that sort of thing. It even weighs less than a Gen 4 ZX-10R by about 80 lbs. Light weight, cheaper tires, easier on the valves and clutch, and less chance of spinning the tire and wearing out the treads. You should get a 400R!!! Different tools for different tasks! You don't use a screwdriver to put in a nail and then complain about how difficult it was. ;)(y)

Kawasaki is getting ready to release the biggest, baddest, most powerful ZX-10R it's ever built! Just like the iPhone 12 Pro! It will probably be faster than 5G!!! It will be 6G speed! :geek::ROFLMAO::p:D

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
858 Posts
It’s okay, for scout they have low power mode! 🖕🖕🤣🤣

Just kidding scout!

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
858 Posts
Kawasaki is getting ready to release the biggest, baddest, most powerful ZX-10R it's ever built! Just like the iPhone 12 Pro! It will probably be faster than 5G!!! It will be 6G speed! :geek::ROFLMAO::p:D
🤣🤣 You’ve got your pre-order in then? For the iPhone, to go with your new Ninja.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
🤣🤣 You’ve got your pre-order in then? For the iPhone, to go with your new Ninja.
Don't you know it! I'll be ready to pre-order my new bike at 5G speeds when Kawi opens the window. Gotta be fast to get in the order early!

Reactions: trebor27

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Seriously though the G6 marking 6 in a row may actually be only the 2nd bike i buy new, but I'm gonna be having the folding Samsung with it...…..need the bigger screen to view the massive power figures on dyno ;)

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
Performance requires sacrifice. Race bikes are about performance and the tire costs are irrelevant. They sell them on the streets to qualify them to be entered into racing events. Doesn't matter what the cost is to the average owner if they aren't racing it. If you want to save money on the price of tires, then Kawasaki makes the Ninja 400 for that sort of thing. It even weighs less than a Gen 4 ZX-10R by about 80 lbs. Light weight, cheaper tires, easier on the valves and clutch, and less chance of spinning the tire and wearing out the treads. You should get a 400R!!! Different tools for different tasks! You don't use a screwdriver to put in a nail and then complain about how difficult it was. ;)(y)

shut up, Sky!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts