Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through inspiration and my own bike mechanic background, I took it upon myself and built a supercharger kit.

I give ALOT of the inspiration to A&A Performance for the kit they produce, the quality of the bits they make and their simple bolt on kit.

I went with the basics of getting the charger, mounting it, then building the DIY kit as I went along.....some easy, some not so easy.

The only thing I have to do now is wait for some good weather to go out and tune it.

This route in not for everyone, although the money savings is huge....total cost is 2600.00. Depending on who you know and what freebees you can score,expect a solid 3000.00

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very Nice!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty cool Jake. Any more pictures of the setup with the fairings off? It's good to see you used an idler -- most folks who build a system themselves neglect this and end up with tons of belt slip as the revs increase. I too am curious to see the dyno chart.

johnnyelbows - The powerband is rather broad (the jump between stock & blown is even bigger when the uncorrected numbers are used -- for a forced induction application, those are the figures to use, but I like to downplay the gains a bit) and the throttle response is unbelievable. With a stock wheelbase & ride height, you won't be able to give it full throttle in the first 3 gears, and it always feels like you are a gear or two down due to the extra power available.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Total weight is approx, 10-12lbs...some stuff removed and some stuff added, the total weight of the charger is 6lbs.

I have access to a eddy current load cell dyno, so I will be able to get an accurate real world measure of power.

I am running a electric bypass valve, so I have the ability to switch off the boost, so i can stay alive while trying back road carve.

I am also looking into methanol or propane injection....each having similar effects yet different gains.

This is a pic of the template i used to see what was going on to align stuff up and use a real easy and cheap material to work with....8mm aluminum plate is the actual material i used.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally !!! My machinist has delivered my bearing cover....sweeeeet !!

Other things came together and the project is only now waiting for the ignition module and lockup clutch from MTC and high pressure oil relief valve.

I added a quickshifter so now it's full throttle down the track, and whatever i can handle on the streets.

Pray for some nice weather to tune and then a trip to the dyno for the power gains..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
superchargers dont narrow bowerband, they broaden it immensley with instant large increases in torque and hp.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can always let me test ride it. Sunny and 90s here every day. Really looking forward to a video...I've yet to see any good vids with the A&A kit.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
superchargers dont narrow bowerband, they broaden it immensley with instant large increases in torque and hp.
I think what dude means is : A supercharger (Esp on a stock swingarm) ony allows you to stay in it so long before the bike flips over . reguardless if your standing on the tank or not .. I rode a friends turbo charged gixxer 1000 and it was on the throttle off the throttle ..Not sure iif a turbo and a s/c react the same honestly ... I had to hurry and get to 6th gear before I could hold the throttle anywhere for a substantial amount of time..It was very impressive but annoying..

I honestly would rather have a 30shot of NOS

The transition was ruthless to the bike and the rider..I would imagine its great for drag racing ..and those kids who have that "LOOK WHAT I GOT" mentality

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drug out to the garage and finish the assembly of the bodywork and such.

I too am/is/will be concerned with the actual useable power....sooo with this electronic bypass valve/blowoff valve, i can have it triggered through the multihub to desired TPS setting or RPM window.....along with the dual map switch, i can have the normal stock-ish 10 purring away, with the lap button swapped for the 4-way flasher of my 6R i can override the valve and it will stay on all the time relieving the pressure.....similar to nitrous, at the flick of a switch the power will be on hand to be unleashed at will......with no fear of a bottle running out, you can play all day.

Thus the amber LED, tells me the bypass valve is open and activated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I too am/is/will be concerned with the actual useable power....sooo with this electronic bypass valve/blowoff valve, i can have it triggered through the multihub to desired TPS setting or RPM window.....along with the dual map switch, i can have the normal stock-ish 10 purring away, with the lap button swapped for the 4-way flasher of my 6R i can override the valve and it will stay on all the time relieving the pressure.....similar to nitrous, at the flick of a switch the power will be on hand to be unleashed at will......with no fear of a bottle running out, you can play all day. Thus the amber LED, tells me the bypass valve is open and activated.
That is a great idea, rep sent :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts