Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this day and age , there should be an led headlight that’s simply plugs in...right ? Please tell me yes

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,810 Posts
No. LEDs should not be used in this bike. The lens and reflector is not configured for the LED directionality and will scatter the light instead of focusing it where you want it. Besides that, the heatsink on the back of the LED bulb won't fit in the weather tight covers. You have to drill out the covers to fit the heatsink and that exposes them to debris. You can do that and plug in some lights, but they'll look like crap. People will say they "look brighter", but that's due to the color temp and the scatter pattern and not the brightness of the LED bulb. You'll piss off other drivers at night with them because the cutoff pattern and angle of the beam can't be adjusted. If the housing was designed around LED then it would be different.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you very much. I will not even consider it Not a big deal anyway. Thank you skydork!

·
Registered
230 Posts
No. LEDs should not be used in this bike. The lens and reflector is not configured for the LED directionality and will scatter the light instead of focusing it where you want it. Besides that, the heatsink on the back of the LED bulb won't fit in the weather tight covers. You have to drill out the covers to fit the heatsink and that exposes them to debris. You can do that and plug in some lights, but they'll look like crap. People will say they "look brighter", but that's due to the color temp and the scatter pattern and not the brightness of the LED bulb. You'll piss off other drivers at night with them because the cutoff pattern and angle of the beam can't be adjusted. If the housing was designed around LED then it would be different.
just an FYI... there ARE plug & play LED's that fit inside the weather covers (on gen5 anyway), and include a fan on the back of the bulb assembly to keep it cool. the catch is you need to purchase a model with a short rear section, and also a small controller box, because that has to slide inside the empty area inside the headlight assembly where the wires are. i purchased 3 diff brands of short LEDs, they all fit within the wearther cover, but only 2 out of 3 controller box could slide into the gap between the back of the reflector and the edge of the access hole.

i have these in my 16 zx10r right now and they fit fine.
the cutoff is not as sharp of a line as OEM setups, but its not blasting anyone in the face.. unless you turn the brights on.
its not just the color/kelvin change, there is definitely more light than the factory bulbs had... i frequently ride at night and some of the roads here are nearly pitch black, no street lights... these bulbs helped alot, the distance they can illuminate is better than the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So those can be used plug and play basically ? Where did you get them from? Make and model?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
yes theyre plug and play, just make sure the LED is positioned the right way, the base plate has notch on it that fits into the housing, but it can rotate within that, so make sure the LED blade is vertical, its easy to see from the front when you install them... the only tough part is fitting your damn hands in there to install them and tuck the wires/box in... helps if you have a rear stand to set the bike up straight and then turn the wheel to the side youre working on to get space for your hands, but its basically the exact same as replacing a factory bulb, the only difference is tucking the little relay box in with the wires into the housing gap can be tricky.

Just one listing of many these have improved distribution because of the led configuration

yep theres a lot out there, just keep in mind you need H7, that link is for H11, and has a much deeper back section so i dont think those would fit.

here is the set im currently using... im sure there is much better ones out there if you hunt, but i wanted to try a few different sets without spending too much so i grabbed these for cheap and wasnt worried if they didnt fit, but they work just fine... the key measurements is the back section (from mounting plate to rear of fan housing) and the size of the little electric relay box that is part of the wiring it has to slip inside the headlight housing, the one with this set is very small and fits in without too much hassle, just had to wiggle it around until i got the right angle to slide it into the gap.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i went with the 6500k option btw, i dont like the blueish 5000k lighting... i think 6500k is considered "white"... has a slight blue tint in photos, but IRL while riding it seems like a pure white light.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,810 Posts
i went with the 6500k option btw, i dont like the blueish 5000k lighting... i think 6500k is considered "white"... has a slight blue tint in photos, but IRL while riding it seems like a pure white light.
Well, not really. 6500 Kelvin is pretty blue. Pure white/daylight is in the 5000k range and the lower the value, the more orange it is. 2700k-3000k is like the old incandescent bulbs (warm white). It goes to white the higher you go to 5000k before turning blue above that. I think 6000k is too blue of a tint for headlights, but that's as blue as I'd go myself. Higher than that, it's a very noticeable blue.

I'm still not sure where you found those bulbs you posted about. Those slim H7 bulbs are practically nonexistent that I've found, other than from AliExpress. And the pure Philips LumiLEDS are even more rare. They are knockoffs to the Philips ones. The increased light you're seeing is due to the scatter from the LED bulb, not really the brightness of them. I would be interested to see the specs on those specific bulbs, but I can't find shit on them.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
yep theres a lot out there, just keep in mind you need H7, that link is for H11, and has a much deeper back section so i dont think those would fit.

I have those in my G3, fit is good, i had HIDS for years but swapped the out when reducing draw on generator.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I’m still not too clear on this topic. I would like a link from a good reputable place like amazon ,for the correct led bulbs but I guess it’s not that simple

1 - 11 of 11 Posts