Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've recently stated, this is probably old news but it's all new to me as i've had my bike for about a month.
Figured i'd post what i've done and pics along the way.
About a month ago (mid november) i bought a virgin 2008 zx10r, with just a shade over 10k miles on it. Previous owner put a bunch of Monster stickers on it, a carbon fiber front fender and a vance and hines slip on.

My first order of business was to look in to the exhaust and start getting rid of all the garbage the factory stuffs in it.

I bought a Dan Moto mid pipe and after reading up, I pulled the header and knocked all the cats out with a small aluminum pipe, long flat tip screw driver and a screw driver I sacrificed to get all the cat material out of the side thats bent.

While that was taken apart, I pulled the ECU and sent it off to Schnitz Racing and had the ECU reflashed.
While the ECU was gone, I ordered up some new copper crush gaskets for the header and put everything back together.
The danmoto wasn't exactly a direct bolt on, but with a little help with a tail pipe expander and a torch to heat things up, I stretched the metal a bit and got the mid pipe to fit perfectly on the header.

Once I got the header back and plugged in, I couldn't wait to fire it up and see how much difference it made. Turns out it was pretty significant.

Tonight I lifted the tank and fully appreciated the $39 I spent on this little flash light. It has a magnetic base and telescopes with a LED on the side of it as well as out the top.

After I got the airbox off I found the pair valve stuff and pulled it out, capped the airbox as well as reed valve with some vacuum port plugs I picked up from autozone.

After I pulled the airbox off, I pulled what appeared to be a very dirt OEM airfilter and found this.
What in the world is that all about?

Next up will be a BMC race filter, PCV, lowered, stretched and put together an air shifter.
Before race season is here, it'll also get a shinko drag hookup.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, there were the appropriate screws in place to hold that foam thing in place.
Also decided to get rid of the a few of the stickers. All the green M's was a little over kill.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure how much I dig the V&H slip on, sounds a little rattly to me. I also pulled the secondary butterflies off the throttle bodies. Once I get the BMC filter, the foam thing goes in the garbage and the airbox goes back together.

Has anybody used any of the aftermarket ram air ducts? Are they worth the investment? Seems like there is alot of stuff, weird angles and obstacles as the air enters the airbox. Not a very linear path at all.
It might be kinda cool to see a true ram air that goes direct from the nose to the throttle bodies, or at least to a plenum around the throttle bodies which would still come direct instead of the "ski jump" type setup the Gen 3's have.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Any plans for an ecu flash and dyno tune? Also planning any clutch mods. I love my gen 3 it gets it done at the track for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ecu was just reflashed last week. After i get a pc5, I'll also be installing a DJ wide band commander I have and start doing some data logging with that. I'll be able to log some runs on the track as well as get some data from riding on the street. I'll be able to edit existing maps from there and see where I end up.

I'm not sure what afr these bikes like for making good power without running too lean, any suggestions here?

Also on the list of future mods is -1/+2 gearing. I'll probably end up going taller in the rear, figured I'd start with a +2.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah depending on your weight you'll probably want to go taller in the rear. I'm -1+4 and might go taller. They have a long first gear and respond pretty well to a taller gearing. How long are you planning on making it

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to do adjustable extensions from ftd customs.
I ran those on my old cbr i had and they were great. I think they're adjustable from 4.5-9 inches. Of course I'm going to stretch it as long as I can with the extensions.
As for my weight, I'm 182 in gym shorts now. I intend to be at 175 by the time race season is here.

Are u crossing the finish at the top of 5th or 6th gear?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope I did the right thing here, but, I ordered a BMC race filter today. Not sure if I should've got the street filter, but, oh well. I'm sure anything is better than the OE filter that was in it with a nice layer of dust, dirt and a moth or 2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm going to do adjustable extensions from ftd customs.
I ran those on my old cbr i had and they were great. I think they're adjustable from 4.5-9 inches. Of course I'm going to stretch it as long as I can with the extensions.
As for my weight, I'm 182 in gym shorts now. I intend to be at 175 by the time race season is here.

Are u crossing the finish at the top of 5th or 6th gear?
I am going to be setting my 1st gen up for track this spring and was planning on using those same blocks. I had looked at full swingarm replacements but wanted these for ease of returning it back to swb. the point is I'm curious how they work for you and will be following your build :thefinger_red:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was very impressed with the quality of the ftd extensions. The fitment was spot on and I never had a single problem.
I'm going to buy from them again and get their full kit with the 150 link chain and brake line.
I'll have to check out Airbornes chain guy, I really like that black and chrome chain he has.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CHRISTMAS was great to this guy. Add pcv to the list of add ons.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PC5 is installed and thanks to blue08, I have a map on there that should run out pretty well.
I've removed the awful oem fender and got crafty with a sheet of 16ga steel from home depot and made my own fender eliminator. Ordered up a TST industries smoked integrator light. Once I get an air filter, turns out BMC is on nation wide back order, then I can button up the top end and make it look like a motorcycle again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's another vid after getting the pc5 installed, a new map put on and tps calibrated.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thundercoupe-
I have a wideband commander which data logs along with the DJ LCD. I've used them together before with my old bike, but honestly, I didn't know what I was doing and also didn't know I could transfer the data to a .csv and look at it on a table.

Questions for you good sir:
What AFR are you tuning for? I'll be running naturally aspirated, 93 octane pump gas, no nitrous or other power adders.
Are you only data logging on the track or do you hit a back road and make a few pulls that way?

Since the bike is new to me, i'm basically starting from scratch with nothing to go off, except maps i've gotten from folks here on the forum.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Thundercoupe-
I have a wideband commander which data logs along with the DJ LCD. I've used them together before with my old bike, but honestly, I didn't know what I was doing and also didn't know I could transfer the data to a .csv and look at it on a table.

Questions for you good sir:
What AFR are you tuning for? I'll be running naturally aspirated, 93 octane pump gas, no nitrous or other power adders.
Are you only data logging on the track or do you hit a back road and make a few pulls that way?

Since the bike is new to me, i'm basically starting from scratch with nothing to go off, except maps i've gotten from folks here on the forum.

thanks for the help.
For a naturally aspirated engine shoot for around 13to1 AFR at WOT, but don't get hung up on the number, if you're between 12.5-13.5 you're good to go. Low and mid load you can shoot for around 14.7 AFR for better gas mileage. Tune it to what the bike and you like really. Take your time with it.

For octane try running 89 or even 87 octane, if the bike doesn't ping, then you're good to go, if it does, raise the octane. Higher octane doesn't make anymore power.

I only datalog at the race track..........but that's because that's where my bike spends most of the time and I log acceleration rate and tune that way.

Once you get your fuel where you want start adjusting the ignition timing, that's where you gain power, that's where logging acceleration rate tells me if the bike makes more or less power. Having the bike on the dyno can accomplish the same thing.

Here's where things get kind a tricky, correct ignition timing depends on many things, air temp, baro pressure, fuel type, dynamic compression.

Starting from scratch is fine, you get to learn what the bike likes in the conditions that you live, start with factory map ( it's pretty damn good) and start making 1 change at the time and see how the bike responds. Save the data from all the different conditions and learn it, once you'll get a hang of that, you will know what your bike will like depending on the conditions and you'll be able to adjust it as conditions change. Remember, tuning is not magic and it doesn't happen over night, and there is no magic tune that works on all the bikes in every city in the world.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Awesome info Thunder. Thanks a ton

After I get the AFR dialed in where I'm happy, will I be able adjust timing with the pc5 or is that an additional module i'd need to get?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
forget the 93 octane, tune it on 87, 89 max as already stated for best power. if blue 08 mapping is for his brocks full system, gonna be better off starting with stk. map and adjust as already stated as ur running stk. decat/slip on exhaust. agree mid 14's afr low/mid will increase mileage on the street. launching 6-9 k at the strip bike needs more fuel to 60/330 ft well, around 12.8. 12.8-13.0 best generic for power thru full powerband, only the dyno or time slips verify what ur engine likes. .do pair mod to get accurate afr's. no discernable gains to be had stk. motor/pump gas as far as timing variations. gen 3 can be very fast 1/4, hold thier own with just about any bike built. for what ur trying to do, 2 main things to get right first as far as the bike goes are gearing and fueling. these done, all up to you from there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the ethanol they put in our fuel here on the west coast, i'm leary about down grading the fuel octane. We have 87/89/93 octane pump gas. I've always ran with 93 and never had any issues with pinging or detonation. I'll be looking forward to getting to the track and start getting data.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts