Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, since my recent run-in with the law I want to try and slow it down a little. My biggest down fall is that my bike is geared -1 +3 so it has more pull in the low end. I want to change it around so that I have more top end. What are some of you guys running for top end? I was thinking +1 or 2 in front and -3 or more in the rear. Let me know what ideas you guys have.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Easy...go back to stock gearing.
My opinion after going -1 up front slowed my bike down after 2nd gear significantly on 3rd Gen. I thought it was too much gearing with the already close ration transmission it comes stock with 2nd thru 6th.
I like stock gearing best but is depends on what mods you have and what you want to do.
If you change your gearing drastically like you are talking about and still want max horsepower and torque gains possible, you will need to re-map it.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
DAMN...-1/+3...why not just -2 or +6? LOL...

Alright let me get this straight ok....You had a run in with the law...You want to slow things down a bit, BUT YOUR TRYING TO GEAR YOUR BIKE OUT FOR A TOP END RUN? Doesn't make sense to me, cause now instead of sitting in the rpm's your only going to want to sit in them after you changing out the gearing...Making it so you travel at a higher rate of speed to feel the same...But to the member about the 3rd gen and gearing..Are bikes are slower 0-100 with -1 up front...Proved it..If anything stock gearing or +1 maybe in the rear is best. Now on a track its a different story...

·
Chairman of the Board
16,124 Posts
The key to avoiding law problems stems from the right wrist, not the gearing. Stock gearing does work pretty well though.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
in the 3rd gens we have reworked transmission so the stock gearing 17/41 is the best on the street and trust me I have proved it. Now from the dig not so much but for the street its great...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DAMN...-1/+3...why not just -2 or +6? LOL...

Alright let me get this straight ok....You had a run in with the law...You want to slow things down a bit, BUT YOUR TRYING TO GEAR YOUR BIKE OUT FOR A TOP END RUN? Doesn't make sense to me, cause now instead of sitting in the rpm's your only going to want to sit in them after you changing out the gearing...Making it so you travel at a higher rate of speed to feel the same...But to the member about the 3rd gen and gearing..Are bikes are slower 0-100 with -1 up front...Proved it..If anything stock gearing or +1 maybe in the rear is best. Now on a track its a different story...
I know it sounds weird.... But since I am going to be riding more on the highway the -1 +3 (which was on the bike when I bought it) has the RPM's higher that what I want them to be.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I'd go back to stock gearing or maybe a +1 up in the rear if you gear the bike so tall your going to be lugging the motor around and you'll never be able to pull the mph up top on a stock motor with wayyy tall gearing 200+mph kind gearing.

but if your doing highway stuff and only looking for highway mpg to keep the revs down you could gear it to the moon just to keep revs down. I remember my bike would run 70mph on the highway at right around 2500rpms with a +1 and -2 gearing (I think thats what it was)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that sounds good because now at 75mph im running at 6K or higher. Not sure if our elevation has anything to do with it 7k+ above sea level.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really sure. They may not be in the best of shape but if I go through with this I will let you know. Are you looking for a certain size of sprocket?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was considering a -1/+1. You gearing seems a little short, almost like stunt gearing. But I have throwing around the idea.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the reason for the -1 +3 is because at my elevation 7000+ FT. we probably lose 10% power (not confirmed).

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Well the reason for the -1 +3 is because at my elevation 7000+ FT. we probably lose 10% power (not confirmed).
I've got a -1 +3 setup in my desk I may or may not run - just messing around.
I also have a -1 +1 520 conversion - just too lazy to change it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Easy...go back to stock gearing.
My opinion after going -1 up front slowed my bike down after 2nd gear significantly on 3rd Gen. I thought it was too much gearing with the already close ration transmission it comes stock with 2nd thru 6th.
I like stock gearing best but is depends on what mods you have and what you want to do.
If you change your gearing drastically like you are talking about and still want max horsepower and torque gains possible, you will need to re-map it.
i did not know that you need to remap if you change your gearing????
i have -1 in the front... do i have to change the map???

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would not think you would need to also. What is the reason for needing the change?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts