Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well thought I'd share another bad valve spring retainer picture.

This was pulled from member's "BUGSY_MONTANA410" cylinder head that he had shipped me to do some epoxy porting on his head.

Today I was able to pull the cylinder head apart a little to get it ready for the porting process and I found Cyl #2's right intake valve spring retainer in pieces like the many times I have seen it happen before.

We are planning on upgrading to Ti retainers and better springs, along with race cams and porting to make a bit more power.

Some pics of the tear down and damage:

The bad retainer.
20130415_161800.jpg

Another head picture.
20130415_161819.jpg

All head parts in my ultrasonic cleaner for an hour and a half heated bath to come out sparkling clean.
20130415_161828.jpg

I'll keep this up to date as I work on the head as well :thumbsup:

Enojy

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Having just been through this exercise ...

The 2008-2010 ZX10R OEM Kawasaki retainers are a drop-in replacement and are a slightly different shape in order to fix this issue. and they're not very expensive, either. That's what I did to mine. (All of my stock retainers were in good shape - but this way, one less thing to worry about on an engine with 70,000 km on it.)

I thought about the Ti route, but I've heard a thing or two about the suitability/durability of Ti in this application, so I opted for the OEM fix for this issue.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the best retainer to replace them. I have an 05 with 33k. Bout to do a valve adjustment and thinking about replacing mine be this happens.

I agree with Go.... the 08+'s are a great upgrade if you cannot get titanium

I have used ti in a few builds and have had ZERO issues though :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts