Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the riders that hangs out in our regular riding group picked up a 2009 R1 this spring. He was always a GSXR guy, but owned a Honda last year as well. He said the 09 R1 felt like a 600 and had no balls. He said every other 1000 that he owned in the past is faster and he also said he didnt like the way it handles.
I never did get a chance to ride with him on that bike, but I just found out he sold it, and thought that was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
So one of the riders that hangs out in our regular riding group picked up a 2009 R1 this spring. He was always a GSXR guy, but owned a Honda last year as well. He said the 09 R1 felt like a 600 and had no balls. He said every other 1000 that he owned in the past is faster and he also said he didnt like the way it handles.
I never did get a chance to ride with him on that bike, but I just found out he sold it, and thought that was pretty interesting.
Been very mixed reviews on the R1 bike... I do like the 09 GSXR1000. But no chance I will be leaving team green.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Here we go again. We're gonna get trolled to death by the folks on the R1 forum. I'm just waiting to see these messages from new users with the topic, "help my ZX-10R just blew up" and "why is my ZX-10R so slow."

It's interesting what a polar opposite reaction in reviews that the new R1 has received over the year. I just read articles in Superbike (aug 2009), and Motorcyclist (aug 2009) magazines, and they both praised the new R1's low-mid torque compared to the outgoing model. But everyone around here who has bought/ridden one, said it's weak. Either Yamaha is really paying off the rags, or maybe they're dropping in Ben Spies' motor into their test bikes.

Another interesting thing on the tech article of the R1 in Superbike magazine was they had talked about how the ECU was giving more throttle opening vs. what the rider is dialing in. Sorta like an electronic quick turn throttle. They were saying that at part throttle the R1 opens the throttle plates farther giving the impression the bike is more powerful.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here we go again. We're gonna get trolled to death by the folks on the R1 forum. I'm just waiting to see these messages from new users with the topic, "help my ZX-10R just blew up" and "why is my ZX-10R so slow."

I sure hope so, it has been a little slow lately. And, I only have a few days before going back to work.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

It's interesting what a polar opposite reaction in reviews that the new R1 has received over the year. I just read articles in Superbike (aug 2009), and Motorcyclist (aug 2009) magazines, and they both praised the new R1's low-mid torque compared to the outgoing model. But everyone around here who has bought/ridden one, said it's weak. Either Yamaha is really paying off the rags, or maybe they're dropping in Ben Spies' motor into their test bikes.

Another interesting thing on the tech article of the R1 in Superbike magazine was they had talked about how the ECU was giving more throttle opening vs. what the rider is dialing in. Sorta like an electronic quick turn throttle. They were saying that at part throttle the R1 opens the throttle plates farther giving the impression the bike is more powerful.
Maybe they have some dislexic guys on the factory floor putting them quick turn throttles on backwards.??

·
Registered
677 Posts

uh yep, and this is what gives the impression of the low end and "hooked" up feeling that the few people who like the R1 keep raving about. Road Racing world point blank made a comment that the ZX10 and to a lesser degree the CBR were both better on corner exit, I maybe wrong about the CBR but I sure someone will correct me if so:). Also one of the brit mags has as their test rider a pretty quick racer who also made the same observation and stated he couldn't see what the big deal was about the R1. Its a moot point though only in time with the truth come out and even then I suspect there will be a few people that can't accept they got got burned buy the Yamaha marketing. If anyone were to state these facts over on the R1 forum it would cause a major war, just not worth it imho.

Has anyone done a side by side roll on against a new R1 yet:) Its pretty funny, and yeah I know the R1 is for the track blah blah blah.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
you know how many open threads or reposts this topic is, the 09 r1 sucks here in the states!!! I have riden one and there fly by wire system sucks, every gear is limited and its so freaking wide I could park nexted to a monte carlo and look big haha. I have raced a couple out here on the streets doing roll ons, launches, you name it and never after 3rd gear did I see a r1 haha. Even out at palm beach international raceway here around me I went out for a track day and ate a 09 r1 for lunch, regardless it was a track day. This new big bag motor would be ok if we had the euro model or a model they used in all these so called magazines giving it good ratings. This 09 is a complete piece of shit after seeing all the issues with them on top of how they perform. Theres a reason why I dont own a yamaha. Only thing I will give them is there clutch is good, but I can buy a slipper clutch if I need one and I would never own a yamaha just for a clutch haha

I have done so many races vs. a kid with a 09 r1 from 20-30-40-45-50-60-70-80-100mph roll ons, I just dont waste my gas any more, its like racing a gsf500!! Thats for you tittermary!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
This is why I bought the ZX-10R over the YZF-R1 - they were both on sale and I was bent on buying the yamaha. Look at the stats below. The R1 is heavier and has less HP. It also didn’t help much that the guy who sold me my 10R is Cory Call, probably the best local AMA rider. He has two '08 10Rs and knows they're better than the R1 in the straight and on the track.

ZX-10R
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...eviews/Kawasaki/Kawasaki-ZX-10R-2008-current/

YZF-R1
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...aha/Yamaha-YZF-R1-2009-current/?&R=EPI-105784

·
5,932 Posts
yeah my 09 10 yesterday out performed a lot of bikes I raced, and out of all 12-14 bikes I rode with yesterday there was one 08 r1 out there and he lost twice to two totally different gsxr750's haha, just think about the 09 r1, being down on hp and even heavier haha. I have rode,raced and seen enough of the 09 r1 for about 3 years!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So with all this said, I wonder what Yamaha is going to do about this? Leave the bike exactly as is for 2010? There is a problem when the Yamaha Die-hards are selling them after a short ownership.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a friend with an 09 R1. He said his bike felt slow and sluggish and he thought somehting was wrong with it. Then he flipped his "mode" switch, and got the response he was looking for form it. I never rode the R1 but I guess there is an "A" and "B" mode on the bike and "A" mode is full power and "B" mode is reduced power. Any chance that this may be the issue? Most people are riding it in "B" mode?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im pretty sure he would have figured that out missinlinc, he even went as far as taking it back to the dealer saying there must have been something wrong with it. The dealer did a full test and said it was fine. So he sold it.:dontknow:

I was looking into the 09's because my brother wanted to sell his 05 R1 and get a new bike, and since he is a huge Yamaha ran, he was considering the 09. So doing my own research, it doesnt look like a great bike. I tried talking him into a ZX10R, but he doesnt like it. So he is down to either a Honda or a gsxr....or he has to wait and see what new models come out.

I have never heard such convincing arguments over the same product in my life. Some people swear by it like its the best thing ever made...others say its the biggest POS they have ever ridden. What I am thinking is that the more experienced riders, who have owned many 1000's in the past HATE IT, the newbs and people moving up from 600's love it, probably because they dont have the experience of a hard hitting ZX10R or GSXR

·
Registered
880 Posts
What I am thinking is that the more experienced riders, who have owned many 1000's in the past HATE IT, the newbs and people moving up from 600's love it, probably because they dont have the experience of a hard hitting ZX10R or GSXR
That's probably it right there! the guy I know that has one is a fairly new rider. Went from an R6 to an R1 in less than a year! Seems like switching from A to B mode is just to easy not to figure out before selling the bike :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive got an 09 R1 and an 09 ZX 10..
I find the ZX 10 is obviously more powerful but you can certainly feel the traction of the rear tire a lot more with the R1.
I've ridden for awhile and have owned a 636, 07 600, 07 zx10, R1, 09 ZX 10. I think what people don't like about the R1 is that it rides so different than any other bike I've been on (I've ridden all of the japanese brand bikes over the last few years).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
well shit lets get a forum shootout in place,,,,since the one guy abprep07 on here is always on track why not use him and his zx10r vs one of his buddies bike 09 R1 with him on it?

we have seen magazine shootous and seen the R1 beat the 10r and vice versa, and we have seen this bike beat the 10r and this other bike beat the 10r as well....
every rider is different in what they get from a bike and well highway roll-ons is well it is be nice day...as some of us actually prefer corners and back roads.

·
5,932 Posts
LOL, how about you all come down here to south florida and we will hit up morso for a open track day or jennings when its getting ran reverse and we can see whats up!!! Jdgun_13 I love how you call out guys but I'm open to a track day when ever to prove anything you want haha...Are you paying for it since your being such a dick though LOL

·
Registered
813 Posts
Look, another thread about to be closed.

Or, we could go back to making fun of the R1, one of the best 600's ever built.

Buy it because it sounds so cool, since none of the other bikes sound cool?

Buy it because it is so good looking, not.

Buy it because all of the magazines say it is the best bike ever (and they only tell the truth).

Buy it because the R1 forum is so interesting to visit, not.

Please take over for me, I'm off to read for a while....

·
5,932 Posts
lol, one thread closed due to a guy that couldnt be wrong and half this freaking site has there panties in a bunch cause I was apart of it. Last I checked this is a place where opinions are key and if you cant except that then this isnt the place for you!! Hey I'm not on here to pick fights cause its not really like anything going to happen, I'm always down to make fun of yamahas haha, thats all I did this past weekend riding

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm a long time yamaha guy but also had Kawi's in my day - loved them both. I picked the '08 Kawi over the '09 R1. They were next to each other on the flooroom and there was no question which one was the best looking and most powerful.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts