Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No this is not another thread about what exhaust I should get!

I just purchased an Area P megaphone for my Gen 1, I absolutely love the look and styling of it and thats the main reason I got it. But I have never heard this type of slip on before.I knew that it was going to be loud but it is deafening:eyecrazy: Gave me a headache after 1/2 an hour of riding.

I am trying to figure out a way to baffle it to reduce its noise level, any ideas?

I might have to put back the ugly half meter akro can on!

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Did you just say you took off a akra can for a straight pipe? All I can say is buy a baffle kit and call it a day. I would think any 59-60mm baffle kit would work. Maybe a silencer cone possibly too if you don't run a baffle...All I can say is you lost hp for changing this, and I bet down low in the rpm's it feels boggy?...You need to have this mapped if you want to gain or even things back out...Just my .02 cents, but straight pipes in my book are a one way ticket to the squid shuttle bus :shortbus: :lol:

You see a lot of newbs going to a straight pipe cause they think louder is always better haha

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I realise that the gains are probly minus, but I cant tell down low rpms, top end lacks a little. My next step was a PCIII to help with that. I just love the style of the pipe, it is way too loud though. The Akra can in my opinion looks shit house!
I may take the pipe to local exhaust shop to see if it can be modified?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Just by a baffle kit and get a pc then go get a custom tune and you will be fine...At most a shop may put a baffle kit in it. So why waste money paying someone else when you can do it your self!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
You see a lot of newbs going to a straight pipe cause they think louder is always better haha
What I always notice is guys with either the super small mufflers or "motoGP" pipes because they think the transitive effect applies...

racers use them
racers are fast

therfore...

I will use one and be fast. :rolleyes:

Either that or money is a factor. Seen guys with essentially a turndown coming off the header. :bs: No offense to anyone and to each his own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
you are right loud pipes dont make you fast, only skill does, I like the GP1 I put on my bike plus the deal I got on it was awesome. If you want to quit wasting time and go real power go the turbo route, that is what i'm getting ready to do a Velocity system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you Guys are 100% right but I for one dont think a louder pipe is going to make me faster:crackup: the 10R is way quick enough for me that loosing a couple of HP doesnt bother me, riding skills will always be the advantage over any mod like loud pipes or even turbocharging, unless straight lines are your thing of course. IMO the huge 1/2m cans on the Gen 1 are butt ugly and I like the look of the GP style slip ons.
Ordered a baffle kit that should slip straight into the AreaP megaphone and give it a little more back pressure, once in I'll let you guys know how it sounds!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts