Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most of you know that I had trouble about a month ago with a filter leaking oil. So amsoil replaced the filter and the oil and it was all good. I was at the gap this past weekend and on saturday I was coming back to the campsite and the bike started sliding coming outa turns. I am running race-take offs that I got from JJ and I know that I wasn't pushing it hard enough coming outa turns to spin up the tire. I slow down the pace and get back and get off my bike. Look at the rear tire and its covered in oil. I take off the lower fairing and notice that the filter isn't loose because I have it hard wired to the bike. I start my bike and give it a little gas and you can see drops just start dripping out of the filter where it connects ot the block. wtf. The first time I thought that I migth have done something wrong but not twice in a row and I had three of my best friends watching me when I changed it. We were all making jokes about this one breaking too and it freakin did. I dont understand, after about 500 miles both times thats when it starts to leak. Luckily i didnt crash either time getting back to the campsite but this just sucks. I am going to call the rep again this morning and talk to him. I will never run there filters again. There oil is really good and slippery expecially when its on your back tire. I am just giving a warning up to other riders because I dont want anyone to crash and possibly get killed. I just wonder how many people this has happened too and they wrecked. Most of the time if you wreck good enough you wouldn't think to see if your oil filter was leaking and this caused the problem. Heads up fellow riders

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
SOunds like you need a professional to change your oil you ninny! :headshake

bring it to Texas and Ill make sure you get that filter on tight enough...:gay:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hillcountry10r said:
SOunds like you need a professional to change your oil you ninny! :headshake

bring it to Texas and Ill make sure you get that filter on tight enough...:gay:
It is tight, its hard wired and everything...The gasket that they use sucks

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
luckz88 said:
It is tight, its hard wired and everything...The gasket that they use sucks
Well Im just thankful you weren't goin too fast...:badteeth:

Ya know, glad you didn't crash! :helmet:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Sorry to hear about the filter incident. :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hillcountry10r said:
Well Im just thankful you weren't goin too fast...:badteeth:

Ya know, glad you didn't crash! :helmet:
yeah I know...Earlier we were on the skyway and I was taking it easy, for real actually. I dont think I ever went over 80 in the turns. This is just b.s. though. What if I was going down the front straight at VIR going into the kink at 150+ and there was oil on that back tire. I would still be sliding out across the field into the trees

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
certainly don't want the trees damaged from your bike now would we :headshake

thank goodness you detected it and used your noodle to back off :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have never used an amsoil filter and dont think I will now. Thanks for the heads up.
Didnt they replace your tire last time?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It took a lot of bickering...This tire that I have on was a take-off that I got from jj, but it still looks brand new...I am meeting with the rep this week to see what we can come up with

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big Daddy said:
certainly don't want the trees damaged from your bike now would we :headshake

thank goodness you detected it and used your noodle to back off :thumbsup:

BD

thanks good ole buddy :hello:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thank the one up above that you are not telling us about a get off....:wink:

NOW, go and get you a PURE ONE Filter and be done with it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
First off, glad you are ok. The dragon is NO PLACE to have oily shoes...

I def wouldn't go with Amsoil filters any more if I were you. They may actually be ok, but your mental peace of mind has already determined otherwise...

Purolator, and ride safe mang!

D

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am goign back to using the yamaha filter for now...I know that works well and I have used it in the past...Thanks for all the feedback guys and possible ideas of what could be wrong...also i hope that this thread may help save another forum member

1 - 17 of 17 Posts