Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Road Racing World

Following a meeting and vote of the AMA Rules Committee in Ohio last Thursday, and subsequent ratification by the AMA Board of Directors, AMA Pro Racing has issued a Competition Bulletin making Traction Control legal, effective immediately. Any type of traction control is now legal in the Superbike and FX classes, including the type that requires use of a front-wheel speed sensor--an example being the system used by Ducati in World Superbike.

Traction control that doesn't use non-stock sensors--an example being the BPD system used by Jordan Motorsports Suzuki at Barber--is now legal in Superstock and Supersport. Traction control systems that use standard sensors only are available for about $8500 per motorcycle.

The text of the Competition Bulletin follows:

All Road Race Licensed Riders and Season Credential Holders

FROM: Kevin Crowther, Director of Technical Development

DATE: July 17, 2006

SUBJECT: Effective immediately replace rule E.23.A pg 36 with:

a. For Superstock and Supersport, any form of engine control system that
can actively change the performance/acceleration of the engine using
input from any sensors that are not OEM on the motorcycle, to create a
situation of better traction at the rear wheel at any time while the
motorcycle is being ridden is prohibited.

Should you have any questions concerning this information, please
contact

Kevin Crowther at (614)856-1900 ext1230 or [email protected].



More, from a press release issued by AMA Pro Racing:

AMA ROAD RACE RULES COMMITTEE UNANIMOUSLY APPROVES RULE CHANGE

PICKERINGTON, Ohio (July 17, 2006) -- AMA Pro Racing announced today that the newly-formed Road Race Rules Committee unanimously approved a change to the rule regarding traction control in the AMA Superbike Championship.

The rule change, announced this morning via an AMA Pro Racing Competition Bulletin, reads as follows:

Effectively immediately replace E.23A, pg 36 with:
a. For Superstock and Supersport, any form of engine control system that can actively change the performance/acceleration of the engine using input from any sensors that are not OEM on the motorcycle, to create a situation of better traction at the rear wheel at any time while the motorcycle is being ridden is prohibited.

The rule change effectively legalizes the use of traction control devices in the AMA Superbike and AMA Formula Xtreme classes while limiting the application of such devices in the AMA Supersport and AMA Superstock classes.

“It is our belief, and one that was echoed by each member of the rules committee, is that we should continue to limit the use of traction control devices in the stock classes but open it up in the modified classes,” said AMA Pro Racing Director of Technical Development, Kevin Crowther. “This rule change is consistent with the spirit of our class rules and objectively recognizes the current state of development of this emerging technology.”

Crowther pointed out that OEM application of traction control on production motorcycles is imminent.

Under new AMA Pro Racing rules making guidelines, rules are proposed by a discipline-specific rules committee then forwarded to the AMA Board of Directors for ratification. The Road Race Rules Committee held its inaugural meeting last Thursday at AMA headquarters in Pickerington, Ohio where the committee voted to not only approve this specific rule but also that the board approve its immediate implementation.

“Everyone agreed that this rule change was important enough to have it implemented immediately,” confirmed Crowther. “We’re happy that the committee acted quickly and was supported decisively by the board.”
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,354 Posts
Not surprising!!!
 

·
Supercharged Mod
Joined
·
4,392 Posts
If you can't ban it, legalize it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
Cant really say I like TC but its here to stay and as long as stays in the modified classes it'll be alright. On an upside it'll probably even things out more in the superbike class as soon as everybody gets it figured out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
yeah since they cant control it they might as well legalize it..
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
The Duke said:
Cant really say I like TC but its here to stay and as long as stays in the modified classes it'll be alright. On an upside it'll probably even things out more in the superbike class as soon as everybody gets it figured out
+1 as long as they keep it only in that class as stated above. Gonna be even harder for the privateers now but what can yah do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
Gonna be even harder for the privateers now but what can yah do
This is the reason why there shouldn't be any factory riders allowed in supersport or superstock. And for that matter, Formula Extreme. The only class that they should be allowed in is the premier class, superbike. This way privateers can get noticed and don't have to deal with getting their asses whooped by someone with less talent and a better bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
i have a funny feelin TC will be @ our local R & D dept come janurary 08 if not sooner, hence even SS bikes will have it in some form or fashion.

BD
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
phastone said:
This is the reason why there shouldn't be any factory riders allowed in supersport or superstock. And for that matter, Formula Extreme. The only class that they should be allowed in is the premier class, superbike. This way privateers can get noticed and don't have to deal with getting their asses whooped by someone with less talent and a better bike.
Thank you, thats more where I was coming from for sure. Keep the factory riders in the unlimitted mod classes:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Hopefully this will mean the dukes will be a bit more competative as they should now be able to use the same/similar electronics as the WSB and BSB where they have been kicking ass.

Not that I as a brit I want Hodgson to be up there more :mrgreen:
 

·
Supercharged Mod
Joined
·
4,392 Posts
Personally, I think the next generation of litre bikes will probably come with some form of traction control as original equipment ...

It remains to be seen how much that's going to interfere. Some automotive stability systems are pretty obnoxious. Usually the "ESP OFF" button doesn't really turn it all off ...
 

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
Joined
·
14,581 Posts
Big Daddy said:
i have a funny feelin TC will be @ our local R & D dept come janurary 08 if not sooner, hence even SS bikes will have it in some form or fashion.

BD

:+1: The AMA didn't ban the use of TC in the support classes, as long as you and I can go to the dealer and buy a bike with TC off the showroom floor. Wait until the next model revision and you'll see it on the production machines as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
I think it sucks to implement it in the middle of the season. We all know Suzuki is using it. So now they have free reign. Where everyone else has to play catch up. They should have waited till next season to give everyone a fair shake at R&D during off season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
No big news here, the writing was on the wall. IMO after the JOKE of an inspection on the Suzi's a lil' way back, I knew it was coming. In fact, by the looks of it, at Miller it appeared everybody else (or at least Honda and Ducati) had already figured "Hell, if that's all they're gonna do about it, we may as well start using it too". At least now maybe it'll be a series again, and stop being the last races I watch on my TiVo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
VOL said:
I think it sucks to implement it in the middle of the season. We all know Suzuki is using it. So now they have free reign. Where everyone else has to play catch up. They should have waited till next season to give everyone a fair shake at R&D during off season.
:+1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
VOL said:
I think it sucks to implement it in the middle of the season. We all know Suzuki is using it. So now they have free reign. Where everyone else has to play catch up. They should have waited till next season to give everyone a fair shake at R&D during off season.
:+1:
Typical AMA problem solving. "Um we know you is cheatin so lets make us a rule wheres you aint cheatin aneemores."
I hate paying my AMA dues every year so that I can race. The AMA is a circus act at best. They should change their name to Amateur Motorcycle Association or American Motorcycle Amateurs. Just yet another example of their ineptnes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Larry Grogan said:
:+1:
Typical AMA problem solving. "Um we know you is cheatin so lets make us a rule wheres you aint cheatin aneemores."
I hate paying my AMA dues every year so that I can race. The AMA is a circus act at best. They should change their name to Amateur Motorcycle Association or American Motorcycle Amateurs. Just yet another example of their ineptnes.
Keep in mind they aren't the first racing body to give up on trying to police the whole TC issue. . .
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top