Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home tonight (on 4 wheels) from my friends place which is about 30 minutes down the highway. I was going about 140 km/h and i was passed by about 6 or 7 bikes. That in itself is no big deal....BUT......they were all only wearing shorts and a few of them even t-shirts. I'm 36 years old and I don't think I'm stodgy but I could never see myself doing that, no matter how hot it is outside. I know there's a difference between a slow city ride...but on the highway at high speeds? If I'm not wearing my leather I feel naked. How do you guys feel on this subject?

·
Registered
945 Posts
i wear jeans and a leather jacket, not really out to drag a knee; but i ALWAYS wear the jacket, no matter how hot it is. Unfortunately most of my dumbass friends only wear shorts and sometimes t-shirts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
:+1:

I have the same issue. Here in the nations capital you see lots of Harley riders wearing t-shirts, leather vests (???), half helmets, and jeans. The only thing worse, is the sport bike riders with t-shirts, shorts, tennis shoes and/or flip flops.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
circusnuts said:
:+1:

I have the same issue. Here in the nations capital you lots of Harley riders wearing t-shirts, leather vests (???), half helmets, and jeans. The only thing worse, is the sport bike riders with t-shirts, shorts, tennis shoes and/or flip flops.
I know what ya mean. I've seen guys down here with leather chaps and jackets w/o helmets.

I guess they'll leave a good looking corpse after they cave their skull in. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I know plenty of guys that dress down when it hot as hell out, there the same ones that ask me if I'm hot in my leathers. I'll say sure I'm hot but temperature has nothing to do with being safe. Not to mention I'd imagine draggin' a knee in jeans hurts pretty bad! Now, I will run an errand in town with shorts and t-shirt on though 'cuz usually thats what I'm wearing and its quick.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
It's hot in Texas. You can chose to die from heat or rash.

I never ride without boots and helmet. I tool around town lots in just a T-shirt and jeans (plus boots and helmet, of course). The most likely scenerio for your demise on a motorcycle in town is a little old blue haired lady driving a Mercury Marquis making a left turn in front of you. All the leather in the world ain't gonna save you.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
swjohnsey said:

I never ride without boots and helmet. I tool around town lots in just a T-shirt and jeans (plus boots and helmet, of course). The most likely scenerio for your demise on a motorcycle in town is a little old blue haired lady driving a Mercury Marquis making a left turn in front of you. All the leather in the world ain't gonna save you.

Your right about that, but with leather. you have a good chance of keeping your skin on. i live in arizona and being hot should not be use as excuse to not wear leathers. let them scrape the harleys riders off the road. Sportbikes rider should know better.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I think they did a study somewhere that guys wearin' leathers suffered more fatalities. Anyway, leathers will give you a false sense of security. Leather doesn't protect you from what is gonna kill you. When was the last time you heard of someone dyin' from road rash.

I have to smile when I see some noob walkin' in with brand new leather, head to toe, Arai helmet and 2" chicken strips.

I have leathers and Roadcrafter and a bunch of other assorted gear and helmets. Realize that gear is a compromise. Flip flops and shorts is probably stupid. Full leathers to go down to the corner store is, too. I ride more than 20,000 miles a year. I don't think I would ride as much if I geared up like the Green Power Ranger every time I got on a bike.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I guess the crux of the matter is... do you dress for battle?

I live a few miles away from the practice field for an Atlanta Braves farm team and every morning I pass the same ball player as I head into the office. He rides a new R6 and has a consistant outfit of shorts, a short sleeve shirt, tennis shoes (without socks), a very loose 1 strap backpack, and a stock exhaust pipe... which futhermore means you better see'm cause you ain't gonna hear hear'm. :headshake

I don't think this guy truly understands what's at stake when gets out on that bike.

As a rider that ocassionally has one or more close calls a day (gotta love them taxis), that scares me.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
i was in shorts, tank top and sandals stunting down the steet once. but that was when i was young and dumb

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
shorts and a t-shirt here. if you dont like it :fu2: im riding the way i want to not what some people want me to wear or think i should wear. i dont give to shits about what other people are wearing. i dont look in trucks or cars to see if everyone is wearing a seatbelt and get mad because they dont have it on. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
anyone can do what they want, but i have slid all together too far on the pavement to not wear my leather and gloves...

btw i consider the trips to the corner market , THE best time to suit up, no matter the heat, something about lack of attention close to home...

or i just drive a cage, this bike aint no grocery getter...

·
Registered
385 Posts
:+1: :iamwithst I was going to leave home one day to make a quick trip to see a friend (with my usual gear of t-shirt and pants, no helmet or jacket) When I was leaving I had a bad feeling so I through on my gear. After leaving my friends work I went about two blocks and a damn 82 year old man cut me off and hit me. I slid for about thirty feet on the pavement, up on my helmet and shoulder. Do the math. Gear saves your rear. I am not preaching here, just telling a tale.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
swjohnsey said:

so do you think all of that leather is for looks?? Of course it would save you..at least from mucho rash if nothing else.
I never ride without gear..ever. I have five different jackets, two suits, three pairs of boots, probaly six pairs of gloves and four helmets..I think gloves are one of the most overlooked pieces of gear as well. go down once and slide down the road and without gloves your in for a lot of pain. Of course anything less then a full gauntlet is a waste of time IMO because it's likely to be removed from your hand in a get-off. Sincs we can't ever predict when an accident may occure I go out on every ride assuming that one will happen.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
busaforhire said:
Sincs we can't ever predict when an accident may occure I go out on every ride assuming that one will happen.
Same reason I always wear my seatbelt. I can control how I act on the road but not how anyone else does.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think its natural to think more about safety the older you get......its called being responsible and having more common sense from lifes experience. I bought my first bike when I was 18, before Maryland's helmet law. I remember many times riding to the beach with nothing but some Nike's and shorts....no helmet, no shirt, and 130 plus speeds. Looking back on it, I was a fuggin idiot. Im now 37 as of last week, you cant catch me on my bike without jeans, my leather jacket, gloves, helmet, and my Sidi's. I dont even feel comfortable without the gear anymore. I went out yesterday, it was humid and hot as hell. I rode with 5 other people......all in shorts and t-shirts. They kept saying, I know youre hot as hell......I kept saying yeah I am.....but my skin would be much hotter sliding across the pavement. Were out hitting 140 mph on the highway and these dudes have shorts on......I dont get it. i will tkae the heat before I take skin graphs!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts