Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a great example why in some cases its better to just stop rather than run from a cop..

So its the last nice day of the year today. I figure this will be the last time its warm enough to ride agressive so I decide to hit up my favorite twisty road out in the country. The road is right off of a busy state route right outside of town. I am about a mile away from my turn so I start violently scrubbing heat into my tires, weaving back and forth.. I am right behind a van so I figured I was safe. Well while Im weaving back and forth, A sherrif passes me going the opposide direction and hits his lights.. I am only about 1/4 mile from my turn and I could have easily out ran him on that twisty road and escaped out in the country.. I was already going 60 and he was had to turn arround and catch me through traffic. So as Im turning onto the road with full intentions on running when I think to myeslf, its not worth it because I have a permit, insurance, and did nothing wrong, Ill just tell him there was an animal. So I slow way down waiting for him, took him about 5 mins to catch up while im doing 40. I even pulled over when he was still about 1/4 mile behind me. So he asks me for license, registration, insurance and that stuff. I give it to him and he asks why I was weaving and I told him there was an animal that ran out. So he goes back to the car and comes back and asks me. Did you know your permit expired last month? I was like oh shit I thought I got it this spring not last fall. So he says Im going to have to write you up for no motorcycle endorsement, witch is the same as no operators license, a big deal. So I said I was sorry and I saw him comming so I waited, and all my friends would have ran and prolly crashed. I said I did the responseable thing and pulled over without running. He thought about it for a min and said ok, Ill follow you home and just give you a verbal warning. So he follows me home and he says that my back left turn signal is out. :BangHead: He didnt care though. So if you ever think about running, think about it first if its worth it or not.. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wow. You certainly received mercy there. I never run either. Heck alot of times we just sit and chat about bikes together when they pull me over (Happened about a week ago).

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I think my problem is I have a intemidating look about myself. So I never get a break. You get some rep for doing what you did.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Good decision. If you dont get an attitude that helps a lot as proven in this case.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nice job, you are lucky though.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
nice job! Glad you caught a break..

I pulled someone over the other night who was smokin his tires are a red light and riding stupid. When I stopped he said " Man what you stoppin me for" And i informed him accordingly. Well he received a warning because he lives in my jurisdiction and I will bump into him alot ( and i told him that ) so I have his plate and vin and address. I just hopes the break calms him down before he hurts himself or another.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys.. Now I feel if you treat the officer with respect, honesty, and maturity, they will give you a break and treat you the same. And it prolly means more to them when it comes from a 21 year old.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
threadjack!!
going back to the what makes a squid conversation. perfect example-->the guy doing burnies at the light
okay threajack over

good decision just to pull over. the one time i have been pulled over on my bike we talked about a chase the guy had the night before when trying to pull over a bike. i didnt even get a warning, "thanks for pulling over. have a good night"

·
Registered
265 Posts
I never run either. What're going to do, turn a traffic ticket into "felony flight" or worse by killing yourself or someone else? You know the game we play and the risks we take so when the lights come on I just pull over and take my lumps. And I always make it easy on the cop and pull right over, and nine times out of ten I get off with just a warning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A squids observation.. I have never ran either, well with my old harley I couldn't anyways. However, you mean to tell me that you see the lights flashing while going 150, and would decide to simply slow down and pull over? It all depends of course on conditions and so on, but would you?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This is very situational IMO - I have run in the past many times when I was young and trying to avoid jail. Now I won't do it unless there is another possibility of jail (IOW big speed like 125+). I remember on my RC51 hauling bunnies down a road I knew well and seeing light-bar coming the other way. I knew he had seen me and there was no way I was getting off with a warning so I just kept it pinned until I got to my group's meet up point. I never saw him again, but that may have been because I had just run from a probation officer! :lol:
Much better to pull over and take your medicine really, and I don't do big speed on the street any more.

·
Man About Town
1,076 Posts
Yeah.... I think I'd have gunned it. I obey most of the laws.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fordfasterr said:
you have a zx-10 and a learners permit ?

OMG > LOL <
Ok squid, you caught me.. Im sure there are lots of people here with just a permit, doesnt mean your still a learner. I have had one that past 3 years. The only reason I dont have my license is because I dont have a bike I can take the test on.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Yeah for a mini minor I'd pull over but if I was hauling ass and they were onto me..................................shit I dunno it's a toss up. Here there is vast open space where you can sit at like over 200KMH for 10-15 minutes to the place where I meet up with my mates. :grin:

But yes, speed kills, why risk your life and others trying to run, pulling over is the right thing to do, no question about it....................................:wink:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts