Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's quite possible that my alternator is broken. I've been investigating some issues with my bike and so far alternator seems like a culprit. I haven't had time to take it out yet, but I wanted to get some info about something else (but a bit related). I know that the 2004 alternators have some issues that can lead to a premature failure. Apparently that problem was solved in 2005.

If I have a 2004 alternator, would it be possible to "upgrade" it to a 2005 (or at least to eliminate the problem) by using parts from 2005? Some parts in the diagrams look obviously different, but are there parts that look the same, but aren't really the same?

What is the minimum set of parts that I would need (apart from anything that may currently be broken)?

Here are the diagrams:

2005:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I swapped mine out a couple years ago. If I recall, the individual parts were really expensive, I just used a whole alternator off of Ebay for much less $$$

If you go used, be sure you get a 2005, as some will list either one as a 1st gen part, failing to distinguish '04 from '05.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts