Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of selling my street bike and got an email from someone said they were interested. The persons supposed name is Kathy Smith, email [email protected]
Heres all the text from our emails
Black text is from me and buyer
Red Text is my thoughts.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kathy: is it still for sale

Me: Yes it is.

Kathy: Thanks for the reply, i am a sailor, i am at sea right now so l wont be able to check the item but l need more details about the item and also l will be more happy if you can send me some pictures of it because am buying this for my son as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asap. I thought everything was good here since I prefer to use paypal.

Me: Its a 2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR, in good condition. It has 8300ish miles on it. I sold my dirt bike 2 months ago to buy this but now I realized how much I miss it. I just changed the oil, oil filter, coolant and brake fluid. Heres pics. (Pics included)

Kathy: Thanks for the pics,kindly get back to with your paypal email to make
payment asap

Me:My paypal is this email address.
[email protected]
I initially asked for $1800, when I first listed it. The guy who looked at it today offered $1650 but I just put new tires on it ($200) 2 weeks ago and would be taking a big hit but I think I would be willing to let it go for $1700 now. I would like it gone. Feel free to email me when ever I am always by the computer. By the way, I was in the US Army for 10 years, Deployed 2 times and stationed in Hawaii, Texas, Oklahoma. Thanks for your service. After i sent it I then realize I wrote the wrong price on this email.

Me:I sorry, I just reread my last message and realized I got the bold number below wrong. The guy offered 1650 but I can drop the price and take 1750. I apologize for the mistake. Hope to hear from you soon, Thanks.

Kathy: I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me $500 for pick up and delivery and also with the insurance fee, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international headquarters which is in State and the payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the $550 to the money i will send through paypal as soon as i have made the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in the US through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is always western union money transfer section in most post offices or at the bank. I would have done it myself but we cant bring some of our personal effects along, i am a little incapacitated.....I will appreciate your help here. After reading this I am thinking, whatever as long as you send me the money to ship no problem. Thats usually how the transactions work, Buyer pays for product and shipping.

Me: I am a little confused. I have no problem helping out, but as you know most deals are first come first serve. I simply can't turn away buyers here that are showing up with cash in hand, That wouldn't be a good business decision for me. About how soon will I receive payment? and What exactly will I need to do? Thanks. I was getting the impression that, this was going to take days, so I wrote this so she knows that I am not going to just hold on to the bike.

Kathy: Thanks for the reply,as soon as you send the money to the pick up
agent thtough western union paypal will credit you immediately. Cool, I am still under the impression I will be receiving money for the bike plus money for shipping in my paypal.

Me: OK That sounds good as long as its immediate, I know there can be a 3-5 day lag with some electronic transactions. And just so we are on the same page, I should receive $1750, correct. If so, what information do you need from me or what do I need to do next. Please shoot me a list of all the steps, all info you need and I will do as soon as I receive your email. Thanks Kat. Sent just to verify she agrees to the 1750.

Kathy: I have just made the payments now and i expect paypal to have emailed by now if not you can check your spam or junk mail for the confirmation, i sent $2,300 in all, to ([email protected]) i added $550 meant for pick up and delivery and the western union fee also and the insurance, they said they have emailed you to this effect, you will need to send the $500 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer,so that paypal can credit the $2,300 into your account as soon as you have emailed the western union details to them, i added extra $50 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more than $50 Here is the pick up agent info needed to get the money sent through
western union money transfer:

Robert kinney (I think Hes the scumbag)
12 Allendy walk,
Pennsylvania,
Palmyra.

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10 digits number on the Western Union receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent.. At this point I am sure something is not right, why wouldnt she just pay this Robert Kinney guy over the phone since she has already made arrangements to ship and insure and why would she expect me to pay for shipping out of my own pocket before I get money for the bike. I am not paying for her shipping

I receive the message below as I am reading the one above from FAKE PAYPAL, looks perfectly real.
Hello Riding4life162,
This Message is originated from PayPal Account Section. Regarding the payment made by "Kathy Smith"([email protected]) some minute ago which has not appeared in your PayPal account. In answer to this, we want you to know that the fund as been deducted from the buyer's account and is now pending in our database and won't reflect in your account due to the new policy of PayPal to protect both the buyer and seller from any fraudulent activities. So we strongly advise you to proceed with the transaction, as soon as you send the $500.00 USD to the pick agent address kindly reply back with the Western Union Money Transfer details if possible with the scan copy of the western union money transfer receipt to prove that you have send the money to the correct address, so that we can fund the money into your account immediately.
Note: The money as been deducted from the buyer's account and which can not be reverse back, since the money as been deducted from his/her account and the transaction as been approved.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
After reading this I am thinking Hell no, I am not paying for this shipping, this cant be right. Where it said the money deduction can not be reversed also seemed pretty fishy to me also. I have done over 100 transactions on paypal and know for a fact everything is reversable, it may take a week but it is reversable. But I continued to be optimistic and continued conversations hoping this is a legit deal.

Me: Kathy, I have been notified by email from paypal that there is $2300, but it also says I will need to pay the $550 before I receive it, but I don't have $550 readily available right now. I wasn't aware that I would have to come up with this money on my own. During my normal paypal transactions, the buyers funds are already transferred and I use that to ship. So what can we do about this.
I was also checking paypal to see if anything was pending. I got no alerts or messages on my paypal.com home page. Causing me to be even more suspicious.

Kathy: Thanks for the reply, paypal will credit you as soon as you send the money and get back to them with the western union details to credit you immediately.
At this point I know for a fact this is not legit. I call paypal customer services and ask all types of questions and they confirm that its a fraud. They ask me to read some of what the fke Paypal message said andconfirmed it. They even said that Western Union is their direct competitor, there would be no way they would be requesting me to send money to them

Me: Sorry, I cant go on with this transaction if I don't have $2300 put into my paypal account. Thanks.

Kathy: The money has already been deduct from my account and paypal wont credit me back because they have already authorized the transaction and paypal is waiting for the western union details for verification,so that they can credit you immediately. Yeah right!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the Robert Kinney guy above is probably the alleged Kathy Smith and is attempting to scam people. I reported all the email addresses he/she used to paypal and hopefully they can do something about it. And here it is almost 4 hours after he/she said the they wont credit her back and I havent received another email since. After the 3rd or 4th email from whoever this guy, I was thinking something wasnt right. [email protected]#ing Scammers!!!!!

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
They're everywhere man, at least you caight onto it before it was too late..scammers will go to whatever means needed to try and get over on ya, since the shit going on overseas it has opened up a whole new door for these bastards to try and say they're over there and will try and have someone here handle the transaction. been threw it a few times with some parts and gear.bad thing is that paypal probably won't do shit since there wasn't an actual transaction taking place or went thru with.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're everywhere man, at least you caight onto it before it was too late..scammers will go to whatever means needed to try and get over on ya, since the shit going on overseas it has opened up a whole new door for these bastards to try and say they're over there and will try and have someone here handle the transaction. been threw it a few times with some parts and gear.bad thing is that paypal probably won't do shit since there wasn't an actual transaction taking place or went thru with.
Yeah thats true, but hopefully they research and put those email addresses in a database and flag them if they end up using it on an actual paypal transaction.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That is sick. I hate cheap scams.

It's best to call and talk to someone you are doing a transaction with. You can typically learn a lot through a simple phone call.

·
Registered
681 Posts
yeah, scammers should burn in hell. about 2 years ago i bought a coin from tv ( i know, a coin right? fuckin dork) but anyway, the coin was 20 dollars and next thing i know there is 450 dollars taken out of my account and my bank could not reverse it even though i cought it while it was still in pending, i looked it up on the internet and it said they got thousands of people with this scam. it looked legit, with a us mint commercial and everything. i never got my money back, my bank said that i authorized the transaction and they where "sorry" they couldn't be more helpful, after about 6 months of trying to get my money back i gave up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ran into something fairly similar with trying to "buy" an '08 R1 for a sweet price. It was listed on Craig's list, and was for sale up in Mesa, AZ (I'm in Tucson). Long story short, he HAD to ship it and I couldn't just go get it. I simply led him on via email to get as much info as I could, and then I simply emailed the local police department where the money was supposed to be sent to plus PayPal. Nothing came of it, but some people need to just get a freakin job and stop trying to steal their money. Unreal.

I'm glad you're smart enough not to get scammed. Oh, and that' a sweet bike. Good luck with an actual legit sale. Cash in hand.:lol:

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
WHy not also report this to the Feds?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Glad you didnt get taken, and i dont want to sound like an ass here but there were several signs right from the get go. If anyone just sends a mail asking "is the item still for sale" or "do you have this yet" dont reply. real people will ask you something more than just that. Also anyone saying buying for someone, gift, or whatever, ignore it. And of course, out of county, serving, etc is bad.

Again i am not preaching, or anything like that, just a warning for people who may not know. I know my parents have been close to scammed too, they just arent familiar with dealing on the net, so are a lot of people.

Glad you didnt get taken

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Glad you didnt get taken, and i dont want to sound like an ass here but there were several signs right from the get go. If anyone just sends a mail asking "is the item still for sale" or "do you have this yet" dont reply. real people will ask you something more than just that. Also anyone saying buying for someone, gift, or whatever, ignore it. And of course, out of county, serving, etc is bad.

Again i am not preaching, or anything like that, just a warning for people who may not know. I know my parents have been close to scammed too, they just arent familiar with dealing on the net, so are a lot of people.

Glad you didnt get taken
:+1:there where early signs that it was a scam ....but if you don't know what they are it's easy to get pulled in.....anyone could get scammed so not saying that I or Teeks wouldn't but more of a warning or awareness thing that if something doesn't smell right or your plan of selling with cash in hand isn't working out then Bow out immediately.....just beware the scammers are everywhere.:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I would have told them to suck balls as soon as they wanted me to send money first!

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
I would have told them to suck balls as soon as they wanted me to send money first!
You guys handle everying WRONG!

That's NOT how you do it!

You simply let them know you closed out a CD from a bank and the CD is for $50,000 and the bank made a chashiers check and you want to sign that over and let the person buying the bike know if they can just refund the difference once they get it.

Sheesh, you guys make everything so complicated.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Hell, my bank credit card fraud division called me up wednesday and asked me if I was trying to buy an Apple computer for $697.71 from the Applestore.com in the UK. I of course said, Hell Naw.
Turns out, this company in Wadeena ND called tree's are us logging company
somehow got my credit card info and hit my account for 1 cent.
When that transaction was approved, they evident ally forwarded my info to the so called apple store and they tried to get my money.

Well, I even got the 1 cent back and they never got the 697 from me thanks to my credit union.
I praised them up one side and down the other and told them that if they do a commercial, I would be their poster boy. lol

Fu*king scammers DIE

Glad you didn't get taken bro.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hello Riding4life162,
This Message is originated from PayPal Account Section. Regarding the payment made by "Kathy Smith"([email protected]) some minute ago which has not appeared in your PayPal account. In answer to this, we want you to know that the fund as been deducted from the buyer's account and is now pending in our database and won't reflect in your account due to the new policy of PayPal to protect both the buyer and seller from any fraudulent activities. So we strongly advise you to proceed with the transaction, as soon as you send the $500.00 USD to the pick agent address kindly reply back with the Western Union Money Transfer details if possible with the scan copy of the western union money transfer receipt to prove that you have send the money to the correct address, so that we can fund the money into your account immediately.
Note: The money as been deducted from the buyer's account and which can not be reverse back, since the money as been deducted from his/her account and the transaction as been approved.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
What a crap man, [email protected] scammers....
I don't think paypal would get in such procedure for noone!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got another email from the Loser!!! Wow They just don't give up! I just received this.

Me: Sorry I will not go through with this transaction without all funds.

Kathy: Gud to hear back from you,you can try and borrow the money from your
friends and as soona as paypal credit you,you return it back to
them,what do you see to that.

I am not going to respond back to any more of the emails, already marked the email as SPAM. I dont want him/her trying to slip a virus or something in. Some people just dont get it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Whenever the emails are full of bad grammar, it's a red flag. I remember looking for our current place on craigslist and getting emails from people doing "missionary work" in Africa. They just needed us to send X amount and the they would send us the house keys. It's sad bc people do fall for these scams.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whenever the emails are full of bad grammar, it's a red flag. I remember looking for our current place on craigslist and getting emails from people doing "missionary work" in Africa. They just needed us to send X amount and the they would send us the house keys. It's sad bc people do fall for these scams.
For sure, Bad Grammar is a big key.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yep...bad grammer is my red flag. I know the written language has taken a big hit these days (no offense to anyone here.....:heyyou:), but if you can't write proper english, I ain't selling to you. (I know, I know, I'm from Louisiana)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Very smart of you to check your paypal homepage directly to see if it corresponds with the email. When I get those things I never even click the link. I always just type paypal.com into my browser and login to check it so I don't get scammed but a fake link.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
This appears to be a new tactic, I haven't seen PP used in a scam, I have seen Western Union.

But I would have to disagree with the bad grammar thing. I have sold quite a few bikes/cars to people who couldn't spell correctly. Just as long as they know how to spell out C A S H, that's all the grammar I need to know from them =)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts