Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way to work this morning and almost dropped it. I came to an intersection where there were two left hand turn lanes. One of the cars on the left hand lane was stopped too far to the right so I could not sneak up to the front (lane splitting is legal in California) so I had to wait in line with the cars. The light turned green and we started moving. The car in front of me moved about 10ft and a big ass oil puddle appeared from where the car in front of him was. I tried to moved but my front wheel caught some of it and when we started taking that left my front wheel just slipped. At that point I was like "oooh shit" so without thinking I put my left foot down on the road and with the right foot I slammed on my rear break. So what happened is I wound up doing one of those moves when your a kid riding a bicycle, you know the one where your ride really fast, put your foot down, hit the break,turn and skid the back tire in a half circle. That's exactly what happened and my bike stayed up. I was so relieved when I realized I didnt fall. :lol: but that was a close one and a new move was learned out of just acting instinctively.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nice Save.............. I used to do those all the time when I was young.....lol...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Im guessing because the congestion right
I think there are couple reasons California allows it. From what they told us in the MSF course there are 2 main reasons

1. because of traffic congestion
2. there are actually less accidents at intersections when lane splitting is allowed because if a bike is allowed to go in between the cars and move all the way to the front they have very little chance of being rear ended by someone who doesnt see the light is red. Being in between the cars gives you that safety cushion.

If we werent allow to lane split here I would never ride in traffic, forget that, might as well drive my truck instead of constantly having my foot down.

Hey traffic where you're at sucks too, Ive been to Dallas. Im surprised they dont allow lane splitting over there.

·
YRR
1,595 Posts
I think there are couple reasons California allows it. From what they told us in the MSF course there are 2 main reasons

1. because of traffic congestion
2 there are actually less accidents at intersections when lane splitting is allowed because if a bike is allowed to go in between the cars and move all the way to the front they have very little chance of being rear ended by someone who doesnt see the light is red. Being in between the cars gives you that safety cushion.
Seriously that sounds like every state with over a certain amount of riders should have

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I hope it's legal in Alabama, comming from California it's just instinct for me. Nobody seems to mind here if it's not

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm not sure if it is legal here in NM but I only do for reason #2. Plus I don't think people mind it as long as you don't sit there by their window reving your engine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The best is when you're in the front of the line and some goofball in a corvette starts reving his engine like he's got something to prove. 5 seconds later I can barely see them in my mirror.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I wish lane-splitting was legal everywhere. We could use it here at the beach during the summer.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
lane splitting is great,

nice save man, i bet that was an oh shit moment for sure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
california is the only state without a law AGAINST it. its not legal here just be venture of not being illegal. i let every goofbal rev up, give them a real low woob and as soon as the light turns green! ... I REV UP AND wait... i think it clown them that much harder, not to mention calli and our retarded exhibition of speed laws, not interested in another 30day impound for making noise.

way to go on your new experience, i love grabbing asstons of back brake and pushing the ass end out with my hips, feels like a GP star... never on the 10, i high sided myself at like 5mph in a parking lot in the rain last year on the 6 with race glass on. 10 is way to pretty to risk it on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
california is the only state without a law AGAINST it. its not legal here just be venture of not being illegal. i let every goofbal rev up, give them a real low woob and as soon as the light turns green! ... I REV UP AND wait... i think it clown them that much harder, not to mention calli and our retarded exhibition of speed laws, not interested in another 30day impound for making noise.

way to go on your new experience, i love grabbing asstons of back brake and pushing the ass end out with my hips, feels like a GP star... never on the 10, i high sided myself at like 5mph in a parking lot in the rain last year on the 6 with race glass on. 10 is way to pretty to risk it on.
Look where it says it is permissible.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

If it's not illegal then its legal, there's not limbo hell for traffic laws. Only if it specifically says it cant be done the is it a ticketable (if thats a word) offense.

As far as reving up and not going, thats pretty damn funny. Im gonna try that one today to see if anyone bites. hahaha:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
265 Posts
right, its legal because its not illegal.... thats what i was trying to imply up there, not a specific law FOR it, just not one against it, my Be was supposed to be BY.
and youll love doing it, its satisfying VS every type of squid/cager.
i let myself get suckered into it a few months ago by a guy on a zx12, you know how you draft someone on the track and you at least know whenISH their gonna be braking... i pulled up to this guy somewhere between 120 and 140 and got out of the draft just incase he nerd braked and sure enough he did, glad i had the sense to know he was a squid, then again, i was just a squidly at the moment.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
well its definitly not legal here in ABQ but from time to time i do do it....ill admit it...once some friends and i were coming home from a ride and a huge pileup of cars was on the I25. It was dead stopped so we decided to cut through and get to the restaurant faster. Well once we got thru majority of the cars i remeber some lady was yelling at us "WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS CALIFORNIA? ITS ILLEGAL HERE, YOU JACK-A***s thats my story

1 - 20 of 32 Posts