Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was my first time back racing in over a year and I came really close to wadding my bike on the white-flag lap trying to get drive out of turn 9 at Willow Springs, kicked the rear end loose and sent me into the dirt. Came within inches of running off in turn 8 on that same lap, I was really pushing it hard. Here’s that last lap, have a look and hang on to something cause it’s a scary finish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nVUD6jvmDE

And if you feel like watching my first race it’s 8 laps, I took the lead into turn 1, then got into a really good scrap with a guy the last few laps, I beat him out for 4th place. In both races I dropped 2 sec off my previous fastest lap from 2 wks ago, so I left everything I had out there..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNSdSUBoqoc

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Dang Terry. You need some knobbies on that bike. Been there, done that (not in a race though). It's the moments like that that will permanently crease the seat. Looks like you handled it well though. 👍

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the moments like that that will permanently crease the seat. 👍
you ain't kiddin, I haven't un-clenched yet :surprise:

·
Chairman of the Board
16,004 Posts
Nice save man! Got my heart pumping at 5 am watchin that SD. Good work man. Your haulin the mail darn good my friend.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man that was a good save, great job keeping it up in the dirt.

In your rear-facing view I saw some debris kick up when your tire went loose. Unless that was just some rubber from your tire sliding, it might not have been you pushing too hard, may have just been a few pebbles in the wrong spot!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Man that was a good save, great job keeping it up in the dirt.

In your rear-facing view I saw some debris kick up when your tire went loose. Unless that was just some rubber from your tire sliding, it might not have been you pushing too hard, may have just been a few pebbles in the wrong spot!
You could be right as the track was filthy both inside and outside the racing line. Big chunks of car tire debris everywhere.

Terry how did that SC2 hold up after the 16 laps? Enough left for another race? Practice?

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
:notworthy:F*#K me... that gave me chills and flash back to WSIR.. Good save :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man that was a good save, great job keeping it up in the dirt. In your rear-facing view I saw some debris kick up when your tire went loose. Unless that was just some rubber from your tire sliding, it might not have been you pushing too hard, may have just been a few pebbles in the wrong spot!
Yeah I think it was instinctive, but you can hear me back on the throttle as soon as I hit the dirt to keep the front end light and power through the rough spots, last thing I wanted to do was get the front end heavy in that situation. The tank slaps had me thinking this is it though.. and yeah I saw that black chunk kick up too right when my tire slid out, not sure..

You could be right as the track was filthy both inside and outside the racing line. Big chunks of car tire debris everywhere. Terry how did that SC2 hold up after the 16 laps? Enough left for another race? Practice?
I’m guessing you are Mike?.. You’re right about it being filthy, I walked the track Sat early evening and there is a ton of car rubber chunks on the outer edges of the turns, it's always been there over the years, it really builds up. The SC2 rear held up fine, still has a trackday in it. It’s my SC1 front that was interesting, pic below of the cold tear on the right side taken right after that 2nd race. Near as I can tell I could have been a pound or two less psi in that front, it might not have been heating up enough in turns 2 & 8 causing the tear. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've been running Michelin fronts with Pirelli rears for years now, but I do not have any personal experience with the Pirelli fronts to comment on that tire not to mention this is only the 3rd time I have ridden at WSIR so I lack track specific knowledge as well and when I don't know something I generally just keep my mouth shut and defer to others that know more than I do.

From talking with you I know you are methodical with your prep and have a firm grasp on set-up as well so you may very well have already solved the problem with your initial thoughts on pressure.

Just my opinion is that from the pic it really doesn't look that bad, but I may not be getting the whole picture (no pun intended). Does that band go all the way around the tire? What pressure did it come off the warmers at and is that the same pressure you normally run? If so the unusually cooler track temps may have skewed the results.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What pressure did it come off the warmers at and is that the same pressure you normally run? If so the unusually cooler track temps may have skewed the results.
I was running 31.5 psi off the warmers, usually run 32.

I showed the pic to Jeremy Toye and he said “it’s normal for not enough weight on the front tire.”

So that would indicate that the front wasn’t keeping its heat because it wasn’t on the ground enough, solution may be to take some preload out of the forks or add compression to the shock, not sure. These issues come up when you’re going faster & pushing harder than you’ve ever going before, and I'm going 6 sec faster there than I did last year. A constant game of adjustments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I thought about that originally, but I remembered how much of your fork tube is already showing through the top of the fork clamp and dismissed the notion... What sag numbers are you running in the front? How about the rear? Any ride height dialed in to the shock or a shim at the mount etc? I'm thinking you might be running the rear really flat which requires the front to be dropped what appears to be a lot just to the casual observer.

·
The Pace
6,903 Posts
complete loss of concentration. Probably just tired. Before leaving the asphalt, already appeared that you forgot your location on the track. My overall thought was that you really lost focus the moment you caught the fat guy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts