Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I went to bike night. I met up with some people there and had a good time. Some guy hit me up to see if I wanted to go for a ride with him and his "crew", I didnt want to go home yet so I said what the hell. I'm not gonna mention the crew by name because I don't want to put anyone on the spot but lets just say it was one of the well known local Los Angeles ones. So we start on the freeway and these guys are doing all kinds of wheelies, standing up on their tank, I mean all kinds of crazy shit... mind you they are wearing nothing but vests! hahaha like thats gonna do anything if they fall! Anyway, they're doing all kinds of stunts and shit but the second we got off the freeway and hit the twisties, these guys all of a sudden weren't so bad ass. I had to continuously slow down to let them catch up. Body positioning on the turns was horrible, they were hitting the breaks mid turn, it was absolutely terrible riding. How can someone with so much "stunting" skill be so horrible around in the twisties? Afterwards they were like "hey bro, that was nice riding, you wanna ride with our crew".. in my head I was like HELL NO, but I was polite and said "nah, I have a family and don't really have the time" and left it at that. it was just funny shit though. :lol:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Funny for sure but you should see things from their point..They are into STUNTING not carving...How bad would of you look in their eyes if you try to pull a wheelie and manage a foot off the ground..If it's not your thing, it not your thing....Now go out and find a guy that say he can carve a canyon like theres no tommorow but have a 1" chicken strip on the tire, that would be :spit::crackup::spit:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
although stunting does not interest me there is skill needed to do it for sure just like carving up the turns requires skill. to each his own

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
definitely requires skill... and balls. Im not taking that away from them. They are talented for sure but just tripped me out that they were riding the way they were in the canyon. I mean, hitting the breaks in mid turn, that's something you learn not to do in the motorcycle course when you first get your license. It's not even the fact that they were so slow it was the technique that had me saying WTF.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
RUFF RYDAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I'll leave it at that. or not,

retards.

·
Registered
685 Posts
definitely requires skill... and balls. Im not taking that away from them. They are talented for sure but just tripped me out that they were riding the way they were in the canyon. I mean, hitting the breaks in mid turn, that's something you learn not to do in the motorcycle course when you first get your license. It's not even the fact that they were so slow it was the technique that had me saying WTF.
I've used my "brakes" in turns PLENTY of times. Depends on how you ride I guess. As long as you don't overwhelm the front tire, you can brake all the way through a corner. I've come in somewhat hot and had to brake to adjust my line... Be smooth and it will hold... :cool:

As far as stunting, I ride with a stunting crew occasionally and the guys above are right. They will spend the same amount of time as I do in the twisties, in a parking lot. Practice is practice.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've used my "brakes" in turns PLENTY of times. Depends on how you ride I guess. As long as you don't overwhelm the front tire, you can brake all the way through a corner. I've come in somewhat hot and had to brake to adjust my line... Be smooth and it will hold... :cool:

As far as stunting, I ride with a stunting crew occasionally and the guys above are right. They will spend the same amount of time as I do in the twisties, in a parking lot. Practice is practice.
If it works for you and you haven't fallen yet then cool... I was just taught to adjust speed before the turn.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's just it...why buy a bike if you're gonna spend your time riding it in a parking lot?

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's just it...why buy a bike if you're gonna spend your time riding it in a parking lot?
Totally unrelated but the first thing that came to my mind was a buddy of mine that said to me, "Why do you have soo many guns if you can only shoot one at a time?" LOL LOL :lol::lol::lol:

My response (since I was completely dumbfounded at the time) was, "Why not!" :badteeth:

But back to bikes, think about the Jason Britten's of the world and you will understand. Different strokes for different folks... The stunting scene is HUGE in some areas. And think about how easy it is to LOOK like a stunter versus looking like a capable twisty rider... :crackup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What I don't understand is why these stunters choose to buy a canyon racer and then just stunt it?
Sure it's an image issue,canyon racers look so cool,but if your just going to stunt it,wouldn't a tricked out street fighter fit the bill better?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
im fairly certain there are quite a few vest wearing stuntas dont know what trail braking even is.....

·
Registered
677 Posts
If it works for you and you haven't fallen yet then cool... I was just taught to adjust speed before the turn.
Thats were the track can help you, you can't learn the finer points of riding fast out on the street with out the much greater risk of getting hurt.

As far as the op its the same way with the guys that think they are really fast on the street then when they get on the track for the first time they are all show no skill and are 5-10 seconds off pace:):)

just messing with ya cesarb!!, but really its all in ones perpective.

DaveT (getting ready to ride some nice back roads because no track for me this weekend)

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm not into stunting, but will bust a wheelie or stoppie when the mood strikes. I like the corners too of course. I too have been surprised in the past at the total lack of ability in the corners of some people. You'd think it was common sense. I've always been a roadracing fan...so I grasp the idea of apex's and all that. I guess if you're a drag racing fan, or Nascar fan and you go buy a bike...you might end up riding like one of the guys that Caesar ended up with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts