Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
The Movie Goer!
6,849 Posts
I can't get a code to come up on my '06 when I press the reset button.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I can't get a code to come up on my '06 when I press the reset button.

Impossible. What are the symptoms you are having? Are you sure it's the "FI" tag in the LCD portion that is coming on? Or just the red light on the side? They are 2 separate things.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Movie Goer!
6,849 Posts
lol....I'm serious man....

" I have nothing blinking besides the oil light but when I press the starter the FI light then blinks"

Impossible. What are the symptoms you are having? Are you sure it's the "FI" tag in the LCD portion that is coming on? Or just the red light on the side? They are 2 separate things.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
lol....I'm serious man....

" I have nothing blinking besides the oil light but when I press the starter the FI light then blinks"

And the truth shall set you free! :lol:

Crucial piece of the missing puzzle "when I press the start the FI light then blinks". That is important to know! That is usually an indication that the tip-over switch has been triggered and the safety circuit is preventing the engine from starting/running. Check the switch in the tail to be sure it's properly mounted and connected.

·
The Movie Goer!
6,849 Posts
Got it figured out an finally started. It was the damn battery! :headshake:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got it figured out an finally started. It was the damn battery! :headshake:

Say what? Was it clicking at all while trying to start? That's really strange, but glad it's working again.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Nicely done Jeff. Props to ya on this.
Yes, I know, this has been up awhile but I just seen it lol.
I work a lot. Well, till I got fired today lol
So I will be on here a lot more now.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is there a list of what the fault indicator codes mean. I have a 12 come up when I check mine but can't find out what it means.
They are listed in the service manual. They are different for each year. What year is your bike? I can post the error code once I know that if you don't have the manual. But that can be downloaded.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
All Gens: So, your "FI" light is on.....

www.garth285.com to download and SAVE the service manuals to your PC or mobile. He has all Gen ZX-10R's, along with zx14/r and some ZX-6R...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Minor correction to original post. Although the FI symbol is used for indicating faults, it doesn't actually stand for "Fault Indicator" but rather "Fuel Injection". I apologize for that. :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Minor correction to original post. Although the FI symbol is used for indicating faults, it doesn't actually stand for "Fault Indicator" but rather "Fuel Injection". I apologize for that. :)
Where are you getting that info from? I think that was the origination in the older models as it was meant to indicate problems with that system specifically, but the system has become more robust than that and deals with errors associated with the TC system, ABS, ESD, etc, etc.

I'm cool if you wanna call it Fuel Injection, or Fault Indication, or Fucking Incorrect....just don't call it an F1 light. :angryfire:

:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Where are you getting that info from? I think that was the origination in the older models as it was meant to indicate problems with that system specifically, but the system has become more robust than that and deals with errors associated with the TC system, ABS, ESD, etc, etc.

I'm cool if you wanna call it Fuel Injection, or Fault Indication, or Fucking Incorrect....just don't call it an F1 light. :angryfire:

:badteeth:
From the owner's manual (page 56 on the GEN4). This has actually been a debate on other forums I frequent. :) You won't find it called Fault Indicator in the service manuals or in the Owners manuals for either the ZX10 or the ZX6. But to be honest, you'll be hard pressed finding it called a "Fuel Injection Warning Symbol", except for on a couple of pages in the Owners manual. But then, it's also not called a "Valve Cover" but instead a "Cylinder Head Cover". Details, details. :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
From the owner's manual (page 56 on the GEN4). This has actually been a debate on other forums I frequent. :) You won't find it called Fault Indicator in the service manuals or in the Owners manuals for either the ZX10 or the ZX6. But to be honest, you'll be hard pressed finding it called a "Fuel Injection Warning Symbol", except for on a couple of pages in the Owners manual. But then, it's also not called a "Valve Cover" but instead a "Cylinder Head Cover". Details, details. :)
While you're right about the terminology in the manual, it's still more descriptive for most people to leave it like it is. I still think that's a legacy term from the older models without all the fancy whiz-bang electronics. The FI system has morphed into much more that these days and encompasses more than strictly the fuel injection system.

So, I'll have to give you one of these :notworthy: and one of these :thefinger_red: at the same time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Actually DFI encompasses a lot and believe it is still accurate. I could be wrong but I don't believe it indicates a problem that isn't related to DFI. Traction control actually does relate to DFI. For example, from the Service Manual:

User Mode
The ECU notifies the rider of troubles in DFI system,
ignition system, S-KTRC system and immobilizer system
(equipped models) by lighting or blinking the warning
indicator light (LED) [A], FI warning symbol and immo-
bilizer warning symbol [C] when DFI, ignition, S-KTRC and
immobilizer system parts are faulty, and initiates fail-safe
function. In case of serious troubles, ECU stops the injec-
tion and ignition operations.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Actually DFI encompasses a lot and believe it is still accurate. I could be wrong but I don't believe it indicates a problem that isn't related to DFI. Traction control actually does relate to DFI.
Yes, but the ABS and ESD do not. A CANBus error between the ECU and the instrument cluster have nothing to do with the DFI, but still triggers an FI warning.

If you look at the Gen 3 manual, the errors were part of the DFI chapter. For the Gen 4, they broke them out into their own chapter. The DFI and Self Diagnosis are 2 separate things now. As the bikes become more sensor and software based, the warning system has to advance with it. To me anyway, the system has progressed.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I believe you are wrong about ESD. If there is a fault in the ESD the DFI will adjust power and indicate there is a problem that is causing a change by the DFI by flashing the FI warning symbol right? I would have to check on that, and probably will. :) I guess what I am saying is Kawasaki does include all of that stuff into DFI because DFI is used to control what the engine is doing based on feedback from those other components.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Dang, all I have is an electronic version for the 2011 service manual. No ESD in that. Anyone have an electronic copy of the Service manual for '13-'14?
EDIT: Disregard! Found it thanks to SkyDork! :) And yes, it appears the ESD and FI ECUs are tied together.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts