Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm no racer so I am not lookin' to squeeze every single horsepower I can out of my 10. I certainly wouldn't want to subtract any, but at the same time I don't want to pay BIG money to add a couple more that I may likely never use. With that said, only two things about my stock 10R "need" changed since I've already added a damper. One of these two things is the can. Everything about the 10 screams "race bike" except for the aluminum sleeved stock can.

So, since I'm not lookin' to eek out a few horsepower for big $$$ I'm lookin' at goin' with a slip-on system instead of a full exhaust. Oh, and I ain't into bling on the 10. For me the "race" look suits it much better, as in carbon fiber, titanium, etc... I want to stick with that "theme" for the replacement can. In fact the Akro ti can is almost too blingy in that it's almost too shiny. I'm considerin' it though because of the reputation Akro systems have. If there is a suitable alternative that looks a bit more "racy" then please point me to it and share your experiences with it on yer 10...

Here are my questions...

#1- Does Akro make a bolt on titanium or carbon can that bolts up to the stock mid-pipe instead of replacin' it?

#2- What is the weight comparison between the stock can and an aftermatket slip-on/bolt-on can in Ti or Carbon. I do NOT want to add any weight to the bike in the swap if it can be avoided. I'm not talkin' ounces. Again, I'm no racer so I don't get that anal about it, but I don't want to add pounds. I carry enough extra weight on my big fat ass!

#3- How do the carbon cans hold up to the heat? I've never owned, or known anybody who owned carbon cans on a bike. I know fiberglass doesn't hold up very well to heat. I know CF isn't fiberglass, but it still uses resins that may or may not be well suited to heat. I like the idea of the black cf on the black 10, but I don't want somethin' that ain't gonna last...

#4- If I install a slip/bolt-on can do I have to do the whole Power Commander thing? Any drawbacks to runnin' a slip/bolt on without a PC?

#5- I'm not lookin' to make my 10 a whole hell of a lot louder either. I like flyin' under the rader if you know what I mean. I wouldn't mind givin' the 10 a bit deeper, more throaty growl than stock but I don't want to let 'em know I'm comin' until I'm gone... How much noise level increase am I lookin' at with a slip/bolt on and how do the Akropovic cans sound compared to stock?

That's all the questions I can think of for now. Any help will be appreciated. I'd like to change out the can ASAP but I want to make sure I get what I want.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im using akra pipes from 96 zx9r and all were carbon fiber. On my 9r i had full race system and when we mounted it, it gave from 8-12hp without any other mod. We check it on dyno.
I didnt have any problems with carbon fiber as oosed to wat i saw from some other makers.
From then the quality is improving even more and i think they are only ones that using hydrofoaming on their pipes. Its very expensive technology and guess thats way almost everyone in motogp and wsb are using them althou stickers on pipes may say otherwise.
I will get carbon slipon for next season as i had enough hp for now and will improve bike in other directions. ( weight, handling..)
here is their site:http://www.akrapovic-ai.si
I was at factory once as is only 80 miles ffrom me and was impresed with their work. Its really top of the line lab.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
1. nope all slips.
2 you'll drop weight, how much not enough for you to tell.
3. carbon on the ak is one of the best out there. you won't have a problem with the carbon and the heat.
4.no you don't have to run a power commander with just a slip. it would be better because it will help smooth out your power curve and throttle response though.
5. it will raise the noice level a bit. it will be noticable at full wot. its better than stock its deeper and imo one of the better sounding cans out there. not tinny at all.

Other options to think about,

Arata, Sato, Arrow, Tuskigi, Leo Vince, Indigo, M4

Slava

heres some pics of [email protected] zx10r with the ak
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2583

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the CF Micron High Mount on my bike. Good sound, couldn't beat the price I paid ($250 to my door, gotta love ebay) Any aftermarket can will sound "tinny" if you let the packing blow out of it, just replace the packing a couple times/year. No PC III on my bike and she runs fine. Def. lighter than stock, by a couple pounds. Get whatever strikes your fancy, most all of them are at least Very Good Quality.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a said:
Im using akra pipes from 96 zx9r and all were carbon fiber. On my 9r i had full race system and when we mounted it, it gave from 8-12hp without any other mod. We check it on dyno.
I didnt have any problems with carbon fiber as oosed to wat i saw from some other makers.
From then the quality is improving even more and i think they are only ones that using hydrofoaming on their pipes. Its very expensive technology and guess thats way almost everyone in motogp and wsb are using them althou stickers on pipes may say otherwise.
I will get carbon slipon for next season as i had enough hp for now and will improve bike in other directions. ( weight, handling..)
here is their site:http://www.akrapovic-ai.si
I was at factory once as is only 80 miles ffrom me and was impresed with their work. Its really top of the line lab.
Thanks for the input and the link. Good info there...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flatout said:
1. nope all slips.
2 you'll drop weight, how much not enough for you to tell.
3. carbon on the ak is one of the best out there. you won't have a problem with the carbon and the heat.
4.no you don't have to run a power commander with just a slip. it would be better because it will help smooth out your power curve and throttle response though.
5. it will raise the noice level a bit. it will be noticable at full wot. its better than stock its deeper and imo one of the better sounding cans out there. not tinny at all.

Other options to think about,

Arata, Sato, Arrow, Tuskigi, Leo Vince, Indigo, M4

Slava

heres some pics of [email protected] zx10r with the ak
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2583
Thanks Slava. One thing I meant to include in my original post was the fact that I did not want to move toward raspy or tinny with the sound. What kind of price can you give me on an Akro slip-on system. Price both Ti and CF if you don't mind. I'm prolly gonna go with CF considering the input I'm gettin' here. By the way, I'm lovin' the Scotts damper I got from you. Really made a big difference in the 10's feel. Thanks again for the great service.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gladding24 said:
I'm pretty happy with the CF Micron High Mount on my bike. Good sound, couldn't beat the price I paid ($250 to my door, gotta love ebay) Any aftermarket can will sound "tinny" if you let the packing blow out of it, just replace the packing a couple times/year. No PC III on my bike and she runs fine. Def. lighter than stock, by a couple pounds. Get whatever strikes your fancy, most all of them are at least Very Good Quality.
Thanks again for your input. Good deal on the Micron, too. Gotta love ebay when ya find deals like that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
u can never go wrong with akra! not too loud & one of the highest quality exhausts & the best lookin IMO. I had on my R1. I'm thinkin of getting 1 for the 10. either that or arata or sato. Ti can for me tho, looks real nice with that Akra carbon clamp around it!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BIKEMIKE said:
I like the Akra carbon can on the black "10".
Yeah, man, that's sweet lookin'. I'm thinkin' it's gonna have to be the cf akro for me. I also like that hanger. Info please...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bikemike are these gilles rearsets?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
BulletTrain said:
Thanks Slava. One thing I meant to include in my original post was the fact that I did not want to move toward raspy or tinny with the sound. What kind of price can you give me on an Akro slip-on system. Price both Ti and CF if you don't mind. I'm prolly gonna go with CF considering the input I'm gettin' here. By the way, I'm lovin' the Scotts damper I got from you. Really made a big difference in the 10's feel. Thanks again for the great service.
Ti or Carbon slip- 450 shipped

Give me a call to order.
Slava

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I am noob when it comes to exhausts, I want to install a slip-on (for looks and sound only) but I am still a bit worried that it will do no good to the power delivery without PCIII. Is that true?
From what I have heard over here in Holland/Germany the Akra, Leo don't do any harm. But since I want to be different:sleepy2: I was thinking about getting a Sato or TiForce. I wonder if they will the same in the perspective. Won't the somewhat free flowing nature of a slip-on (vs standard) lean the mixture too much?

·
Registered
271 Posts
burgerkin said:
I am noob when it comes to exhausts, I want to install a slip-on (for looks and sound only) but I am still a bit worried that it will do no good to the power delivery without PCIII. Is that true?
From what I have heard over here in Holland/Germany the Akra, Leo don't do any harm. But since I want to be different:sleepy2: I was thinking about getting a Sato or TiForce. I wonder if they will the same in the perspective. Won't the somewhat free flowing nature of a slip-on (vs standard) lean the mixture too much?
Akrapovic workin on slipon w/o pcIII. He works on stock model so not much improvment with pc. Whole system is another story.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go for the titanium sleeve. Looks nicer and is more durable. The Carbon Fibre is actually cured in an autoclave so that it is stiffer and withstands heat (with sound packing). Some carbon fibre products are not cured in an autoclave hence it is not strong or durable.

The only problem I have seen with carbon fibre cans (other makes, I don't know about Akrapovic) is that over time, the gel coat will wear and the shine goes away. Makes the can look old and worn.

Lastly, Carbon fibre will just shatter in an accident so you can't replace the sleeve and reuse the can (depending on damage).

I have a Titanium sleeved Akrapovic slip on and I love the sound and the look of the pipe. It also helped smoothen up the power curve and throttle response. (I don't have a power comander either)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts