Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a power commander PClll usb and I have an Akrapovic carbon fibre slip-on pipe on order. I guess I should have researched further before buying but I saw many members with the Akra slip-on so I figured there must be an appropriate map on power commanders web site. Turns out they do not have a specific map for this set up which seems strange since it is most likely a popular set up. Anyone know where I can download a good map or suggest what you are using? I'd get a custom map but there doesn't appear to be any decent tuners within a days drive. I'd fork over some $$ if anyone could email me a custom map for the Akra slip-on set up. I'm thinking the map for stock set up might be the best with what I have presently. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is a map that comes with your power commander go to open map file and pick the number m212-003 thats the map for a zx10r with a akra slip on. I know because that is what I have. I took my bike brighton superbike here in michigan and he set me up with a costum map cost me 300.00 for map and dyno tune. He did not give me the map or I would send it to you. I'm now pushing 169.9 to the rear wheel.

john

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
rooster said:
he set me up with a costum map cost me 300.00 for map and dyno tune. He did not give me the map or I would send it to you.

john
You can hook your PowerCommander up to your laptop and then save it yourself

·
Registered
88 Posts
I called Power Commander and they said to use the Ti-Force map. I did and my bike runs great.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have the same set up (akro CF slipon) and just called dynojet...they recommended the "arrow slipon" map

map 212-004....
???????????????????????????

he said basically any slip on map should work....does anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
570 Posts
rooster said:
There is a map that comes with your power commander go to open map file and pick the number m212-003 thats the map for a zx10r with a akra slip on. I know because that is what I have. I took my bike brighton superbike here in michigan and he set me up with a costum map cost me 300.00 for map and dyno tune. He did not give me the map or I would send it to you. I'm now pushing 169.9 to the rear wheel.

john
169.00 with just a slip on ????

·
Registered
441 Posts
what year is your bike that you need the map for?

·
Registered
425 Posts
ok this thread is not about one specific bike, so let's not hijack it ok guys?:heyyou:

The question is what is the best PCIII map for an akro slipon? and I've searched the site through and through and still fail to get a definitive answer...

does anyone know? or have a map they could share? I think there are alot of us with this setup that would benefit...thx

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
why bother with a PC with just the slip-ons?....what i don't understand sometimes is why someone will only buy the slip-on and then a PC and then have it customed dyno'd tuned...the power gain will be minium...if you're going to spend that much why not get the full system....you will get more hp for $$ if thats what you're looking for....

·
Registered
425 Posts
that's not always true...on my old bike 2001 zx9r, I had a hindle slipon, and installing Ivan's jet kit made a HUGE difference...it was night and day..almost 10 hp gain and so much more power low to mid-range...

it depends on the individual bike set up and from what my tuner (who is a race mechanic and very experienced) told me, a slip on on a zx10r with the servo valve cut (which sticks the exhaust valve in the open position) is not quite like a full system, but somewhat close to it...

·
Registered
482 Posts
tegon-gsr said:
169.00 with just a slip on ????
musta been a real happy dyno....yes any slip on map will work fine. try a few different ones and see which you like the best.

·
Registered
482 Posts
cdnzx10r said:
that's not always true...on my old bike 2001 zx9r, I had a hindle slipon, and installing Ivan's jet kit made a HUGE difference...it was night and day..almost 10 hp gain and so much more power low to mid-range...

it depends on the individual bike set up and from what my tuner (who is a race mechanic and very experienced) told me, a slip on on a zx10r with the servo valve cut (which sticks the exhaust valve in the open position) is not quite like a full system, but somewhat close to it...

the HUGE difference you felt on your zx-9 was from the jet kit....you would have felt the same HUGE gain with the jet kit only...although the slip-on probably made it sound faster.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i agree a pc3 is really not needed when only installing a muffler. however, if you do have a pc3 dont waste a bunch of $$$ on a custom map....just run one of the other slip-on maps...you will be satisfied

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have an Akra slipon and I tried a couple of the maps from the dynojet site. One was even done by a reputable company and my motor seriously sounded like it was going to blow up just cruising around town with that map! I am planning on getting a custom map done not for peak numbers but just to smooth out the power curve, and to have the peace of mind that my bike is running properly.. my .02

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lawdog78 said:
I have an Akra slipon and I tried a couple of the maps from the dynojet site. One was even done by a reputable company and my motor seriously sounded like it was going to blow up just cruising around town with that map! I am planning on getting a custom map done not for peak numbers but just to smooth out the power curve, and to have the peace of mind that my bike is running properly.. my .02

according to an earlier post in this thread, the map for the Tiforce is a good one to use. I am planning on trying that and also the one for the arrow slipon tonight or tomorrow...I will post my results then.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lil Sal said:
i agree a pc3 is really not needed when only installing a muffler. however, if you do have a pc3 dont waste a bunch of $$$ on a custom map....just run one of the other slip-on maps...you will be satisfied

With an akra slipon, if I was to use a map for another slipon from the dynojet site, what kind of improvement exactly should I be looking for? just so I know when I do it

·
Registered
482 Posts
cdnzx10r said:
With an akra slipon, if I was to use a map for another slipon from the dynojet site, what kind of improvement exactly should I be looking for? just so I know when I do it
you are going to be looking for overall smoothness in power delivery, no backfiring on decceleration (once in while ok). dont get caught up in trying to tune for max seat-of-pants power. and remember you can get an idea if its really rich or really lean by rubbing your finger inside the muffler. a whole lot of black is on the rich side.:wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts