Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Akra link pipe installed w/ Hotbodies MGP Growler w/ test ride update!

FULL TEST RIDE UPDATE:

Huh, well disappointed. It's just a bit too loud for my tastes. I don't think I can get away with it. If I had a full length canister slip-on, I would be ok. As far as power goes, it's too hard to tell without driving it back to back. I did shift into 3rd and slipped the clutch a little by accident and the front came up which is a first for me in 3rd gear without trying to induce it. It does seem to pop on decel a bit more, but that could be that it's just more audible now that the boom box isn't there to absorb the noise. I know it makes more power, but the added sound with my shorty exhaust can is something I, nor my neighbors can live with. I really liked the sound of the growler with the boom box, although it was actually a bit quiet. With the link pipe, it's on the opposite side of the spectrum. Unfortunately for the speed demon in me, I'll be selling the Akra Link Pipe. I'll post up pics on the Parts for sale section tomorrow. It'll be going for $140 shipped =(

I guess my other option would be to sell my MGP growler and buy a R-77 Yosh or Akra slip-on which both have long canisters, but that's several hundred more $$$ I don't really want to spend.

Original post:

So, it all worked out fine. Was able to re-use the graphite gasket after already having installed the growler last week to the boom box. A note about the boom box...IT'S NOT THAT HEAVY!!! Only about 5lbs on the bathroom scale compared to 1.5 lbs for the link pipe. Others on here have said the boom box weighs 10lbs. Well, if you're changing it for weight only, you'd be feeling a bit ripped off. .

And really, I see no reason why this link pipe wouldn't work with any slip on. It's identical in deimensions to the oem boom box as far as the mounting points are concerned. It took a little finessing to get the 'heat shield' body cover looking good and in the right place, but other than that, it was a piece of cake.

BTW, has anyone ever tried painting their aftermarket sprocket black to match the OEM one? WOndering if it's worth trying. Although it would prob start peeling and look like poo before too long.

BTW part 2, thanks again to Mary at Superbike Supply in NC. I live in San Diego. Ordered it YESTERDAY and she had it drop-shipped from a distributor in SoCal and I got it TODAY! Awesome service. And for a great price as always =)

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
So, it all worked out fine. Was able to re-use the graphite gasket after already having installed the growler last week to the boom box. A note about the boom box...IT'S NOT THAT HEAVY!!! Only about 5lbs on the bathroom scale compared to 1.5 lbs for the link pipe. Others on here have said the boom box weighs 10lbs. Well, if you're changing it for weight only, you'd be feeling a bit ripped off. I did my link pipe for the combo of power added(in the 5800-8800 RPM range) over stock and the weight savings. And I am disappointed over the weight savings, but overall with the slip-on/link pipe combo, did save 10lbs total. Not too shabby.

As for the volume. Yes, it's a bit louder, noticeably, but not wicked. I managed to get it out on the street and get up to about 30-35mph and do a quick u-turn. No helmet of course, just finished installing it and wanted to put around. I'll post up here later after I get a chance to ride it. Not sure I'm really going to be able to feel a difference really since it won't be a back to back test, and the additional volume will probably throw me off too, but for now, at least it's on there.

And really, I see no reason why this link pipe wouldn't work with any slip on. It's identical in deimensions to the oem boom box as far as the mounting points are concerned. It took a little finessing to get the 'heat shield' body cover looking good and in the right place, but other than that, it was a piece of cake.

BTW, has anyone ever tried painting their aftermarket sprocket black to match the OEM one? WOndering if it's worth trying. Although it would prob start peeling and look like poo before too long.

BTW part 2, thanks again to Mary at Superbike Supply in NC. I live in San Diego. Ordered it YESTERDAY and she had it drop-shipped from a distributor in SoCal and I got it TODAY! Awesome service. And for a great price as always =)
I know you new it was coming so here it is..

:ttiwwop:

And to ansewar your sprocket ?? Yes it can be done with powder but it will wear off on the teeth eventually..

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you new it was coming so here it is..

:ttiwwop:

And to ansewar your sprocket ?? Yes it can be done with powder but it will wear off on the teeth eventually..
Ahhh, whaddaya want pix for...it's just a link pipe. I suppose if I get bored tomorrow I can pull of the cover and take a pic of it all bolted up. As far as the sprocket, I was talking about good ol' fashioned flat black spray paint. In my past experience, I've had better luck with longevity with the hi temp paint they sell for charcoal grills.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Ahhh, whaddaya want pix for...it's just a link pipe. I suppose if I get bored tomorrow I can pull of the cover and take a pic of it all bolted up. As far as the sprocket, I was talking about good ol' fashioned flat black spray paint. In my past experience, I've had better luck with longevity with the hi temp paint they sell for charcoal grills.
Not for me but for the less mechanically inclined people would like to know what they can do for themselves.. Kinda like a tutrial..

I would say th epaint shoul dwork also it will just wear out faster if u can sandblast the sprocket i would suggest that and paint away..

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Original post updated with thoughts after full test ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
FYI

I did paint my non OEM sprocket with flat black Rust-Oleum brand paint 2 mos ago and so far it looks perfect. Also I have the Akra link pipe installed with the stock muffler so it should fit any can designed for the stock pre-muffler. I noticed that 2nd and 3rd come up easier with the link pipe installed so for sure it filled in the mid range a little. I'll get it on a dyno when I have spare time to see how much the link pipe really helped.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have a link pipe on the way,and a p/c , k/n filter will match it up with my akra slip-on and get it mapped,hope its not too loud or i will have put back in the baffle !!!:dontknow: pic is pre link..

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have a link pipe on the way,and a p/c , k/n filter will match it up with my akra slip-on and get it mapped,hope its not too loud or i will have put back in the baffle !!!:dontknow: pic is pre link..
Can you please let us know if it makes the Akra slipon louder as I have heard it without the link and it is a little on the quiet side.

So i am interested to see how much louder it gets as i really love the look of the akra can and due to the quiet sound of it i have been leaning towards the racefit.

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI

I noticed that 2nd and 3rd come up easier with the link pipe installed so for sure it filled in the mid range a little. I'll get it on a dyno when I have spare time to see how much the link pipe really helped.
Darnit, this isn't what I wanted to hear. I noticed it was accelerating harder in the midrange as well as confirmed by Akra's dyno charts. It also felt a little soft leaving the line now requiring a bit more clutch slippage, and also seemed to be popping more on decel, but that could just be that it's more audible now. It began popping on decel with just the slip-on, just seems to be doing it more with the link pipe.

I just can't stomach the additional noise from the pipe. If I had a longer canister I'm sure it would be fine. Sigh. I need to end the financial outlay of cash for this bike and just ride the thing!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you please let us know if it makes the Akra slipon louder as I have heard it without the link and it is a little on the quiet side.

So i am interested to see how much louder it gets as i really love the look of the akra can and due to the quiet sound of it i have been leaning towards the racefit.

Thanks
Well, it's definitely louder. With a longer canister already being a little too quiet, it should make it good now for you. Prob right where you'd want it. For me with a growler already, it now is too loud, and the tone isn't so good paired with the growler either. A bit raspy. I just don't want to have to sell my growler and spend more on a much longer slip-on like a Yosh R-77 or Akra slip to get things kosher audibly. If I don't find a deal on a used slip on like today, the link pipe is going =(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts