Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^No, you can test fit it on the ground but dont install it with the springs and please used high temp sealer along with cleaning the exhaust with alcohol before firing it up and testing it....Think lego's...Its very very easy to install an exhaust. If you have a 3rd gen I recommend draining the coolant and removing the radiator too...Good luck and post pictures when your done...:thumbsup:

ps you dont need to make a new thread for the same question, have some patience someone will answer it....:badteeth::headshake:thumbsup:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Should i attach all the springs to the headers before installing it on the bike?
NO!!!

Is that a simple enough answer? :lol:

Put each of the header pipes in one at a time after of course torquing down the flange clamps to the exhaust ports to the proper values (the springs will be free hanging off of each of this clamps)

Invest in a good spring hook (puller) like the motion pro heavy duty one, and then pull the spings into the retaining hooks on each header pipe after making sure that each pipe is fully seated in the port flange.

get all four pipes lined up nicely and then place the y's on the ends (use the anti seize compound THINLY on the pipes) and finaly slip on the midpipe then the muffler.

Wiggle everything around a little to make sure everything is seated and fully connected, THEN put all the springs on.

If you get it all together OUT of the bike and then try to angle the headers in you will be spouting about 14 curse words per minute... maybe 20... Along with all of the damage you are going to do to the finwork on the backside of your radiator...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
NO!!!

Is that a simple enough answer? :lol:

Put each of the header pipes in one at a time after of course torquing down the flange clamps to the exhaust ports to the proper values (the springs will be free hanging off of each of this clamps)

Invest in a good spring hook (puller) like the motion pro heavy duty one, and then pull the spings into the retaining hooks on each header pipe after making sure that each pipe is fully seated in the port flange.

get all four pipes lined up nicely and then place the y's on the ends (use the anti seize compound THINLY on the pipes) and finaly slip on the midpipe then the muffler.

Wiggle everything around a little to make sure everything is seated and fully connected, THEN put all the springs on.

If you get it all together OUT of the bike and then try to angle the headers in you will be spouting about 14 curse words per minute... maybe 20... Along with all of the damage you are going to do to the finwork on the backside of your radiator...
:+1: perfect

·
Registered
629 Posts
I did it the exact opposite. I assembled the entire pipe less can. Much easier to do. Bolted it right on.
You're good MM! :lol:

I was speaking from the experience of watching a friend do his and he put it all together before putting it on the bike. It was a PITA to align the header tubes into the ports because the tolerance is so tight and so it was that situation where one get cocked and stuck when one slips in so you move one out and the other get stuck and on and on and on and there is no room to get a good handle on the pipes as you try to finagle them in one at a time and he ended up with dings and bends all over the back of the radiator. It's also EXTREMELY difficult to pull the springs on the middle two pipes unless you have a long, good spring puller. If you put the pipes in one at a time, you even have enough room to easily pull each spring with a big pair of pliers.

If you look at your photo, do you see how the pipes are misaligned where they go into the ports? when it comes time to insert them, one goes in first, and messes up the rest. You can wiggle them around and eventually they all go in, but it's SO much easier to put the pipes in one at a time and align them at the bottom of the bike where you have days of room to work.

I learned from this debacle and put mine together one piece at a time onto the bike and it was absolutely pain free! (well except for the fact that my wife kept telling me to help her paint a cabinet the whole time I was working)

It looks like you've been wrenching on bikes for a while MM and have skill at it, but I would still heavily recommend that someone installing a full system for the first time, to take their time and use the cautious route :wink:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I cannot tell you how many times I have suggested to people on this forum to REMOVE the VOIP'ing radiator, but its always NOOOOO, I can get it done without doing that. I would shit myself silly if I had 1 little tiny ding in mine. Thus with the radiator removed, it is super easy to install the exhaust using any method you prefer.

(translator) VOIP = FUCK :heyyou:

:thumbsup: I will send you rep for finally admitting someone VOIPed up the back of their radiator!
Geezus! with the radiator off you could put the fully assembled exhaust (WITH the can attached too) on their with only your forehead!!! :lol:

That is DEFINITELY the best way to go! For me, I just put it all together very carefully one part at a time with the radiator in, there is space to do that (not alot but comfortable) and I was good to go... My friend on the other had spent about 2 hours with a toothpick trying to straighten out his bend radiator finnage :lol:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That radiator is designed with way excess capacity. Unless you seriously mangle it you'll never notice a couple of pranged fins. I'm going to attempt to install my Evo with radiator in place and just follow the manual, one piece at a time. Magic's system works great too, with that radiator out of the way it looks like a snap. Yoshimura RS-5 install on my CBR was a freeking nightmare! 3 of the 4 headers aligned with the exhaust ports but the 4 was pointing in a completely different direction. I had to literally pry the 4th into position and hold it there while I snugged the nuts down...what a PITA! Yoshi's look and sound great but I have owned two and been underwhelmed by their lack of quality control. I just got my Evo in a couple days ago and the welds and construction look like pure art. I decided to spend the big bucks and go for quality this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts