Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting an AK. Don't really need one, but just want to have one before I croak. Ammo's cheap enough and I do a lot of plinking. Can you suggest a good make at a reasonable price? (between $600 - $1,000). I'd appreciate all input.

Thanks!

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
If you want to get ammo on the cheap, pick up an AK-74 instead. I get my surplus ammo 2000 to the case for about $230.

I have a WASR-2, but there are several decent AKs out there. I'm not a big fan of the SAIGA line, but others may be.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I bought 2 Mosin Nagant AK47's from cabellas because they were cheap ($350) and I'm very satisfied with them. I've fired thousands of rounds through them, especially the first one with the slidefire. The second had some feeding problems but was solved with some filing on the top of the clip but trouble free other than that. Not the most accurate but average for an AK.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
I'm thinking about getting an AK. Don't really need one, but just want to have one before I croak. Ammo's cheap enough and I do a lot of plinking. Can you suggest a good make at a reasonable price? (between $600 - $1,000). I'd appreciate all input.

Thanks!
Dont be so sure with the recent zombie movement here in this bizarre state we live in! :lol:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont be so sure with the recent zombie movement here in this bizarre state we live in! :lol:
Yeah!:lol: That's why I got my Mossberg 500 and AR-15. Can never be too prepared!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I bought 2 Mosin Nagant AK47's from cabellas because they were cheap ($350) and I'm very satisfied with them. I've fired thousands of rounds through them, especially the first one with the slidefire. The second had some feeding problems but was solved with some filing on the top of the clip but trouble free other than that. Not the most accurate but average for an AK.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
:+1: I have owned several and never had any big problem with them. You can't beat them for the price.

If you're going to war, probably best to spend some extra $$$, but if you're just looking to kill a few zombies, this will git'r done

·
Registered
76 Posts
I picked up a WASR AK47 through http://www.impactguns.com it was the Military one and NIB for like $480ish shipped, just don't be in a hurry as I waited a few months for it to come in since Century Arms that handles the importing out of Romania won't ship until they have a full container of orders. I picked up 1000 rnds of ammo for $211 shipped to my door.

Here she is on the way home from the FFL before the degreasing and finishing of the furniture began:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your inputs. I goozled "AK-47" (and axe .com too) and found as many opinions as there are people, but I've always gotten great input on this board whenever I ask a question. Thanks again and keep the comments comin' :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am so jealous that you guys can even ask the question let alone own these firearms. The uk is such a nanny state you can't even have a decent high power air rifle without a raft of paperwork.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so jealous that you guys can even ask the question let alone own these firearms. The uk is such a nanny state you can't even have a decent high power air rifle without a raft of paperwork.
Never know when this country will be the same way. :headshake Get it while you can!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I felt sorry for you guys in the UK having to use cricket bats to defend your neighborhoods during the recent riots. At least your government used its cameras to identify and prosecute looters after the fact. I heard they even suspended their welfare benefits. That being said I have had good luck with Czech and Russian AKs. Romanian AKs are decent. I wouldn't want to have to rely on Arab AKs unless my M4 went down.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a wasr 10, I didnt like it cuz it felt cheap so I sold it b4 I even shot it. Went and bought a brand new never fired Yugo sks, put a 30rnd mag in it and im good with it and the Glock lol

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
It cracks me up how many crazy guns are just chillin in everyone's households. It's a shame that if we're ever attacked it will be through nuclear warfare cause if any country invaded I don't think we'd even have to call in the troops! Just post some fliers at the waffle house and it's a done deal.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
You shouldn't pay more than $600-$700 TOPS. Can get a Yugoslavian under folder which is ranked in top 3 of the semi autos.
Check out the AK-47 forum, the BEST forum on AK's and do some research and check out what you are after. The Yugo under folder has the thickest receiver, specific mags to it that keep bolt open after last round though EVERY mag/drum will work in it(steel ones). Is just a step above the rest in durability and that says a lot knowing AK's are nearly indestructable.
The Polish AK-47 is also a VERY nice one. Stay away from Romanian unless you have a budget of no more than $400....will fire every time but is ranked second to last(it's called WASR-10) and I have one and a Yugo underfolder.
Go to this forum and read, read, read. Some like a chrome lined barrel, some like the fact the yugo was a full auto gun made to pass US import regs using minimum # of US made parts. Some like the Polish because of wood quality and also it is like Yugo in it was once a true full auto.
The US made composite ones are just that. Clones. But nicely put together clones all US parts and usually have a 1-1.2mm thick receiver(Yugo is 1.5 min) and have acessory rails, collapsible butt stocks etc. But its a clone.
Forum..http://www.ak-47.net/

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You shouldn't pay more than $600-$700 TOPS. Can get a Yugoslavian under folder which is ranked in top 3 of the semi autos.
Check out the AK-47 forum, the BEST forum on AK's and do some research and check out what you are after. The Yugo under folder has the thickest receiver, specific mags to it that keep bolt open after last round though EVERY mag/drum will work in it(steel ones). Is just a step above the rest in durability and that says a lot knowing AK's are nearly indestructable.
The Polish AK-47 is also a VERY nice one. Stay away from Romanian unless you have a budget of no more than $400....will fire every time but is ranked second to last(it's called WASR-10) and I have one and a Yugo underfolder.
Go to this forum and read, read, read. Some like a chrome lined barrel, some like the fact the yugo was a full auto gun made to pass US import regs using minimum # of US made parts. Some like the Polish because of wood quality and also it is like Yugo in it was once a true full auto.
The US made composite ones are just that. Clones. But nicely put together clones all US parts and usually have a 1-1.2mm thick receiver(Yugo is 1.5 min) and have acessory rails, collapsible butt stocks etc. But its a clone.
Forum..http://www.ak-47.net/
Thanks for the info and the link!:thumbsup: The forum idea is great!

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Thanks for the info and the link!:thumbsup: The forum idea is great!
No problem. Did you figure out what you may get, I mean which version?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have 3 Norinco AKs. 2 of them are 7.62x39 and one is 5.56 NATO.

Also have a Valmet M76 (ak design) in 5.56 NATO.

They are fun guns. Not an AR15, but they are fun in their own way.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts