Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the 1st and 2nd gen 10's have the large holes in each side of the frame between the ram air inlet and the airbox?

The 3rd gen has holes in each side. Maybe 2 1/2" in diameter that appear to vent (best i can rememer) out of the lower part of the frame around the pegs.

I can only think of a couple reasons these holes are there.

First thing that comes to mind is noise reduction. If thats the purpose of the holes, I wonder what the gains would be if these holes were covered. I'm thinking the airbox pressure would increase quite a bit.

Do they help the Velocity of the air and keep it less turbulent maybe?

Any other idea's?

With the airboxes on the 3rd gens being so different that previous years, it just made me wonder if they have these holes as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Do the 1st and 2nd gen 10's have the large holes in each side of the frame between the ram air inlet and the airbox?

The 3rd gen has holes in each side. Maybe 2 1/2" in diameter that appear to vent (best i can rememer) out of the lower part of the frame around the pegs.

I can only think of a couple reasons these holes are there.

First thing that comes to mind is noise reduction. If thats the purpose of the holes, I wonder what the gains would be if these holes were covered. I'm thinking the airbox pressure would increase quite a bit.

Do they help the Velocity of the air and keep it less turbulent maybe?

Any other idea's?

With the airboxes on the 3rd gens being so different that previous years, it just made me wonder if they have these holes as well.

umm say what?

air box is sealed on 3rd gen

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm say what?

air box is sealed on 3rd gen
The airbox is sealed, yes.

I'm refering to the holes on the inside of the frame right before the airbox. They have to be killing the airbox pressure.

Check 'em out. Can't miss them, they're huge.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
yes my 04 has the holes but it also has air tubes in them connecting to the airbox

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes my 04 has the holes but it also has air tubes in them connecting to the airbox
I didn't notice any tubes back to the airbox.
I'll look again.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on
the function or purpose of the holes?

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I didn't notice any tubes back to the airbox.
I'll look again.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on
the function or purpose of the holes?
if they have no tubes running thru them ya got me:dontknow:

·
Registered
677 Posts
The airbox is sealed, yes.

I'm refering to the holes on the inside of the frame right before the airbox. They have to be killing the airbox pressure.

Check 'em out. Can't miss them, they're huge.
I gotta be missing something here, the air box is sealed other then the ram air intake track which is how the air gets into the air box. Are these the holes you are referencing?

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Yes, there are holes in the frame spars in the 3rd gen of the mentioned diameter, that link the intake ducts, prior to its entrance to the airbox, to the inner space of each frame spar.
As these holes are set, they appear to be used to increase the overall intake duct volume, using the spars as lungs.

I say do not block them up. They are not meant to decrease the intake pressure, but the opposite.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
i know exactrly what your talking about, as i have something similiar on my zx6r, which i will block off nexct time i haev the airbox off..

on my 10R the only i have is the ram air tubes that go into the holes to the collector in the head stock..

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
I don't have a 2008 model so take this for what it's worth.

If those holes are being used to increase the effective volume of the airbox, you don't want to block them.

If they are used to help dump rain water out of the intake air, you don't want to block them, either.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, there are holes in the frame spars in the 3rd gen of the mentioned diameter, that link the intake ducts, prior to its entrance to the airbox, to the inner space of each frame spar.
As these holes are set, they appear to be used to increase the overall intake duct volume, using the spars as lungs.

I say do not block them up. They are not meant to decrease the intake pressure, but the opposite.

:thumbsup:
I thought about the added volume of air. I think the intake
is large enough to supply the needed air. The only time
the ram air would need that volume is maybe at a dragstrip
for a hard launch. Otherwise, forced air would be
sufficent.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have a 2008 model so take this for what it's worth.

If those holes are being used to increase the effective volume of the airbox, you don't want to block them.

If they are used to help dump rain water out of the intake air, you don't want to block them, either.
We posted about the same time.

Effective volume as I mention in the post above should be
relative to speed. I'm thinking volume is effective with
no pressure in the airbox.

If they were needed for volume, I could block the holes,
rev the bike, and be able to feel a fairly big difference in
intake vacuum?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You ride in the rain? Its pouring this morning, and did most of the night. I need an ark. :lol:

Post up pictures when you can. I had my air-box (and radiator) off a couple of weeks ago putting on Block Off plates and saw nothing I couldn't live with.
Hell no. I hate riding in the rain. My supercorsas only have tread in the middle.:wink: Cleared up about 9am. Rode about 11 or so. I don't miss
many Sundays.

I'll pull the airbox off tomorrow and post a couple pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts