Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

I have a friend that started working for a small composite company offering up his time to work in exchange for learning how to work with Fiberglass, Kevlar, and Carbon Fiber. Seems like a pretty decent way to learn the skill as there seems to be some black magic type of vibe associated with composite work.

Anyways, he wants to try making a few motorcycle parts as projects for practice with mould making and parts creation and such and pitched the idea of making the airbox larger on my bike.

My question is, would it make any difference performance wise and/or would I need to get the bike re-tuned after it is installed?

His plan is to fill-up between the frame space with the new airbox and eliminate the whole having to twist and pull the airbox out, just lay it in and such.

I'm game for free Carbon Fiber stuff, but wondered what I'm going to really get out of it.

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
i dont think more air space would hurt anything... i only see a problem if u cut down the air space and you could keep enough in the box to keep the motor happy

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
id take an extended chain gaurd for my GEN 1 if he is willing... im 12" over stock

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good Morning,

I have a friend that started working for a small composite company offering up his time to work in exchange for learning how to work with Fiberglass, Kevlar, and Carbon Fiber. Seems like a pretty decent way to learn the skill as there seems to be some black magic type of vibe associated with composite work.

Anyways, he wants to try making a few motorcycle parts as projects for practice with mould making and parts creation and such and pitched the idea of making the airbox larger on my bike.

My question is, would it make any difference performance wise and/or would I need to get the bike re-tuned after it is installed?

His plan is to fill-up between the frame space with the new airbox and eliminate the whole having to twist and pull the airbox out, just lay it in and such.

I'm game for free Carbon Fiber stuff, but wondered what I'm going to really get out of it.
Just gonna take a wild guess and say it would prob hinder performance. Kawi engineers designed that airbox for max air flow (kinda like designing an acoustic room for peak sound performance) and if it was as easy as just making it bigger to feed the motor more air, then they would have done so?? :dontknow:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
This has been done, take a look at QB carbon's design. They want a ton of cash for a air box too, and they all require extensive re-tuning to work properly. There were a few WSBK Spec PSG-1 Boxs like that out there on the black market as well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
airbox

more air box volume almost always results in more horsepower, it's a big enough difference in breathing and power that u probably would need a retune to realize the full benefits. mass centralization and styling on new sport bikes has compromised air box volume. the newer bikes make plenty of power with this compromise for the avg. rider, however there is more to be had in this area. not my opinion, it's proven. go for it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses,

Okay, so understanding that there were boxes out there that cost gobs of money...

Does anyone know if on a standard bike (full system, removed flies, PC3, epoxy ported head, 08 race cam) it would even be worth while to pop on and tune for or is it a neat little gimmick that someone tried to make money on.

He chose the airbox because it is (to him) considered a mid-level project due to curves, dips, and burps (his words) and it doesn't have to be pretty. As for making other parts, he said he's at least 6 months out before he could even think of making "pretty" parts for anyone... I guess worse case, he makes the airbox and if it doesn't work, I pitch it to the sale section of the forum. He would ideally down the road like to practice his mould making from my body work, so need to figure out if I can trust a n00b with my stock plastics =)

On a side note, CBolton69, he digs the pic of your lady friend, says you got a hot little lady there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the responses,

Okay, so understanding that there were boxes out there that cost gobs of money...

Does anyone know if on a standard bike (full system, removed flies, PC3, epoxy ported head, 08 race cam) it would even be worth while to pop on and tune for or is it a neat little gimmick that someone tried to make money on.

He chose the airbox because it is (to him) considered a mid-level project due to curves, dips, and burps (his words) and it doesn't have to be pretty. As for making other parts, he said he's at least 6 months out before he could even think of making "pretty" parts for anyone... I guess worse case, he makes the airbox and if it doesn't work, I pitch it to the sale section of the forum. He would ideally down the road like to practice his mould making from my body work, so need to figure out if I can trust a n00b with my stock plastics =)
Air box doesn't need to be pretty that's true but, all of the ones I've seen use the bottom of the tank as the lid to gain much of the extra volume. Fabing up a seal that works out of Neoprene wouldn't be hard, but you need to be fairly precise with your molds to get the tank to then both seal and fit.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Just gonna take a wild guess and say it would prob hinder performance. Kawi engineers designed that airbox for max air flow (kinda like designing an acoustic room for peak sound performance) and if it was as easy as just making it bigger to feed the motor more air, then they would have done so?? :dontknow:
They did so... in 06.

It was stated somewhere (back in the day) that the airbox on gen 1 was a limiting factor and a reason that a different than stock air filter doesn't really help the bike.

Some say the bike is better with stock airfilters even, think there was even some dyno evidence but it's been a while.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
more air box volume almost always results in more horsepower, it's a big enough difference in breathing and power that u probably would need a retune to realize the full benefits. mass centralization and styling on new sport bikes has compromised air box volume. the newer bikes make plenty of power with this compromise for the avg. rider, however there is more to be had in this area. not my opinion, it's proven. go for it.
:+1: It will ALWAYS give more power. Especially on modded gen1's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts