Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
max? nope, its a good starting point. then you can adjust it for riding style and preference. also each tire works better at different psi. soem like higher for mileage, and not a lot of aggressive riding, while others want max grip and performance, which typically sacrafices mileage.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Im pretty sure the sticker on the swingarm calls for 42 rear and 36 front. I usually run 34 front and 36 rear give or take a pound or two. I like the way it feels. But that's just me.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
max? Nope, its a good starting point. Then you can adjust it for riding style and preference. Also each tire works better at different psi. Soem like higher for mileage, and not a lot of aggressive riding, while others want max grip and performance, which typically sacrafices mileage.
:+1:.......i usually run a little more air pressure in the rear and it seems to work for me. most call for 42psi i believe but i try to stay around 38 front and 34 rear but that differs from time to time and depending on the weather and tires i'm using.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, they asked me when i changed tires, I never really put much thought into and always ran what was on the sidewall, I knew lower psi would give more grip but never connected the dots that more would give you better mileage

·
Registered
30 Posts
frankie, what tires did you get ? what type of riding is typical for you? climate conditions?

my pressures are just above 30 , i run pirelli rosso corsa , i dont use the bike much on the highway or for commuting, mainly curvy backroads on nice sunny days when the road is warm as well.

grip is more important to me than lifespan

measure when cold!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
im pretty sure the sticker on the swingarm calls for 42 rear and 36 front. I usually run 34 front and 36 rear give or take a pound or two. I like the way it feels. But that's just me.
:+1:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The "official" and "legal" recommendation is the pressure in the owner's manual or on the tire information label on the vehicle. The upper range is fine for riding in straight lines down the highway while carrying a passenger ...

For track days, you should go with the recommendation of the tire manufacturer for the tire that you are using. It's common for this to be approximately 30 psi front and rear. Some types of rear tires require pressures as low as 23 psi. In some cases this pressure is to be set after the tires are on tire warmers at a specified temperature for a specified time. NOT simple.

For twisty-roads riding, take the tire pressures recommended for track days and add a couple. It will be lower than the owner's book recommends, and that will be lower than the max recommended on the tire sidewall.

I use 32 front / 32 rear with Michelin Pilot Power tires.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have q2's, the majority is straight but i like to ride the curves also, i ride the ohio river several times a year, but I usually only get about a mile of good curves on my way back and forth to work

·
Registered
610 Posts
do you set your tire pressure to what is on the sidewall
No. That is the max psi indicated. Tire pressure depends on what tire you use, what kind of riding you do, climate conditions, etc. A good starting point for most street tires might be-

Sporty street riding
front - 34-36 psi
Rear - 38-40 psi

For freeway riding / commuting
Front - 36psi
Rear - 42psi

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol straight answer if i ever saw one, sounds like Im a little high... on tire pressure that is

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
lol straight answer if i ever saw one, sounds like Im a little high... on tire pressure that is
don't know till you ask man and each of us will have a different preference BUT running them both at 42 now, and then dropping them to any of the mentioned figures....you'll be able to tell a diference right away with how the bike feels,handles,and reacts.:helmet:

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
im running pp 2ct street pressure, 32fr/30r no burnouts, or highway, aggressive street riding i get around 2k out of my rear and its done. thats using the tire edge to edge, and the 10 likes leaving big nasty blackmarks leaving the corners... now if i ride the wifey, then i will increase the pressure for the added weight. it just takes you getting out and riding with some trial and error. the key is to always check them before evry ride...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Pure's
31/31 cold= bliss

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes it is....... and WHAT A GREAT tire! I ran the D211 GPA's on my (bike we shell not speak it's name) and got 2800 miles out or a set. 90% hard canyon riding
I agree. its an excellent tire. What is amazing about this tire is the crazy low pressures it runs due to its NTEC technology. I have heard that the D 211 GPs (the UK made ones) last much longer than the GPAs (US made version). Do you have any experience with the UK version? Is is different grip wise?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts