Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other bikes i'v had did Not benifit much from a Diffrent air filter over the OEM one.

Anyone Dyno compare? or have reason to think there worth it?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
the only benefit is being able to reuse and clean it...

downside is some race filters let more dirt in your engine, with no power benefit.. maybe .3 whp +/- from what I've experienced on fuel injected bikes

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah if a factory Air filter can flow enough air to produce 200Hp on Ramair at the motor pretty sure it isn't a restriction.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reason being I asked-
seen alot of Sigs on the forum with Mods on them saying Filter

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just because people jump off a cliff dosen't mean its worth doing :)

Problem is people usually put a filter in and verify it with a Bum dyno which is useless.

other example is people get a after market filter & a exhaust & a power commander etc and go Woa look at the improvment the filter has done.

Facts are K&N BMC etc do let more air in,
will obviously let more air particles in (is this a bad thing doubt it)
a filter without a fueling adjustent will normally lean afr's but not always.

It's really hard to get information of before and afters here is a site of stock vs aftermarket but its magically dissapeared

http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTML/Images/Air Filter Shoot Out.pdf

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hence this thread--

Thanks for the reply

Hey All you have to do is pull the stock filter off and get an Exacto knife and remove the plastic tabs that hold the restrictive metal screen then reinstall the air filter. It flows just about as well as a K&N and it screens out more trash...

I had tried a Pipercross foam type filter and did nor notice any power difference. But it required a lot more cleaning which is a pain in the ass with the Zx10 since you have to remove the tank and the top of the air box just to get to it.
Try it. You can but quite a few stock filters for the price of a K&N
:mrgreen:

Speedy

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts