Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
How about some flow #s. I think the stock filter flow best or very close. I bought a PiperX filter over the winter and just for the hell of it blew lightly through it with the air hose, then with the stocker. The stock flowed much more freely than the PiperX. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The weight difference is BMC and K&N air filters have charge fluid in them. The stock filter is dry. That is the difference in weights. As you can see the K&N are loaded with charge fluid.

Edit:

I went back up to review the packets again and they says it on both aftermarket packets (pre-oiled)..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Also remember that the aftermarket filters are wire loaded (fine wire lines to make the filter reusable/ rechargable. This also makes a difference in the weight department.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I just put in a K&N...I have never had any issues with any K&N products thus far so if it takes a shit I will just get the BMC next. :shrug:

·
Registered
360 Posts
K&Ns are pretty sloppy. If you ever really look at one up close, the rubber mold is a mess and is all wavy around the edge of the filter. Some are ok, but I've seen some really bad ones where the rubber extends a couple of inches onto the filter in spots. You can even see it in the above pics. It probably wouldn't matter to most people, but I'd rather buy the BMC since it's made better.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
The K&N I just installed was in no way sloppy or poorly constructed. I went with the K&N over the OEM and the BMC...I heard that the BMC doesn't filter as good as the K&N or the OEM...so I get a bit more power but worse filtration...Well I want good filtration. The K&N doesn't really flow much more over stock, but I can use it for a million miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts