Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a good air compressor. I have 3 quads, 2 cars and 1 motorcycle, all of which I do most of my own work on. I'm sick of using hand tools and busting my ass when air works so much better. I dont know much about them though. Maybe some of you can help out. I dont need anything HUGGEEEE, I have limited space to put it. It's going to need to run an Air Ratchet, Impact Gun, HVLP Spray gun, maybe eventually a motorcycle lift but not immediatley... Thats about it.. The impact gun will be for car tires, sprocket nuts, etc etc etc...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Unfortunately, the uses you have listed require more than a compact compressor and tank are going to deliver.

I have the Lowe’s special, which is a Husky 26 gallon with a 5.5 hp motor. It is designed to set upright so as not to take too much space.

To be honest, it's a great help and has an oil less motor, etc., etc., but even with the size it still runs a fair amount when I use an air gun or ratchets.

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would pick out the air tools you want to buy and then pick a compressor that will be able to handle your tools. Don't forget to plan for future tools. Being a guy you will have to buy other tools you never considered once you get a compressor and some basic air tools. What size compressor runs a jackhammer????

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
circusnuts said:
Unfortunately, the uses you have listed require more than a compact compressor and tank are going to deliver.

I have the Lowe’s special, which is a Husky 26 gallon with a 5.5 hp motor. It is designed to set upright so as not to take too much space.

To be honest, it's a great help and has an oil less motor, etc., etc., but even with the size it still runs a fair amount when I use an air gun or ratchets.

HTH
Phil
Hmm.. Does yours run the tools I mentioned? What are the specs I should be looking for? (Sorry, I just discovered I'm fuckin ignorant to compressed air).. lol. Lowes has a 3.5hp, 35 gallon one for 419... But I'm not sure if thats good or bad.. More horsepower = better? More capacity = Better? Oil Lubricated = Better?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I have 4. {own a construction co. } first off let me start by saying i hate harbor freight. ok now thats done.
uhh the makita ones fall apart. the rigid ones can take a beating but designed to be a pain in the ass. uhhh the one in my shop now is the cat's meow! it is a husky pro from home depot. cost alittle bit but man this thing is nice. small enough to move but comes with 26 gal tank. So you can beat up on it a bit too! cant say enough good things about this one. been REALLY impressed! {and i usually blow a air compressor up every 3 months or so!} but havent done a bit of maintence on this one! TAKES A LICKIN AND KEEPS ON TICKIN!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Bullshark said:
Hmm.. Does yours run the tools I mentioned? What are the specs I should be looking for? (Sorry, I just discovered I'm fuckin ignorant to compressed air).. lol. Lowes has a 3.5hp, 35 gallon one for 419... But I'm not sure if thats good or bad.. More horsepower = better? More capacity = Better? Oil Lubricated = Better?
Well, mechanical air tools are rather inefficient. The one good thing is that they all require the same standard psi rating of 90. The compressor you mention is fine. I was a pseudo mechanic many years ago and we had huge Kaiser compressors, so I guess it just surprises me how much these little guys have to run (compared to the Kaisers that is).

Unless you get the tools with the compressor, I would recommend purchasing them used via Ebay. Ingersoll Rand (IR) makes 1/4 and 3/8" ratcheting air ratchets and IR, Chicago Pneumatic (CP) and Mac make great 1/2" air guns. I have all Snap-On air tools and both my 1/2" air gun and the 3/8 ratchet stink. The gun goes through triggers and the ratchet has no self ratcheting mechanism (swiss cheese knuckles).

And the oil less motor is cool because it means less maintenance (think they all come that way now). You will still have to oil your tools though.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I have a Husky brand compressor, too, but I bought mine at Home Depot, and it has a 32 gallon tank. It sounds similar to the one circusnuts has. It can sit vertically so that it doesn't take up too much space.

My die grinder will slowly drag the pressure down. Other tools are fine.

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
circusnuts said:
Well, mechanical air tools are rather inefficient. The one good thing is that they all require the same standard psi rating of 90. The compressor you mention is fine. I was a pseudo mechanic many years ago and we had huge Kaiser compressors, so I guess it just surprises me how much these little guys have to run (compared to the Kaisers that is).

Unless you get the tools with the compressor, I would recommend purchasing them used via Ebay. Ingersoll Rand (IR) makes 1/4 and 3/8" ratcheting air ratchets and IR, Chicago Pneumatic (CP) and Mac make great 1/2" air guns. I have all Snap-On air tools and both my 1/2" air gun and the 3/8 ratchet stink. The gun goes through triggers and the ratchet has no self ratcheting mechanism (swiss cheese knuckles).

And the oil less motor is cool because it means less maintenance (think they all come that way now). You will still have to oil your tools though.
So you're saying that all the air tools require a sustained 90 PSI? That goes against my assumption the the more PSI = better tools... What makes one Impact gun more powerful than another if they both run on 90 PSI? I was under the impression that more pressure from the compressor = a more powerful tool.. So a 9 million PSI compressor would be able to remove tighter bolts than a 2 million PSI compressor (obviously exagerated).. Am I wrong to assume this?

Thanks for the replies! :thumbsup:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I have a 60 gal upright dual stage does'nt take up a lot of space and keeps up with my paint gun and air sander its a del-air but I've seen other 'labels' on the same equipment

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Bullshark said:
So you're saying that all the air tools require a sustained 90 PSI? That goes against my assumption the the more PSI = better tools... What makes one Impact gun more powerful than another if they both run on 90 PSI? I was under the impression that more pressure from the compressor = a more powerful tool.. So a 9 million PSI compressor would be able to remove tighter bolts than a 2 million PSI compressor (obviously exagerated).. Am I wrong to assume this?

Thanks for the replies! :thumbsup:
Efficiency, design and budget get you the extra power. I have a Snap-On rated at 510 ft pounds and a CP at 300. They both need a regulated psi of no more than 90. Keep in mind, you don't want to run your tools beyond their rating, 1) because it can damage or shorten the life of them and 2) damage your work. For instance, my 510 ft pounds gun can easily break or snap wheel studs. This is especially an issue with fiber wheel grinders. They will fragment and their centers will spin open if you let them idle too high or get too hot.

**With air compressors, the extra money buys you capacity (tank size) and the ability to maintain it (motor size).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What you need to consider is the SCFM requirements of the tool that uses the most air (usually those long air files). Then buy a compressor that is rated for at least that much, continuous. You may also want to consider the voltage requirement. Do you have 220 outlets in the garage? If you need to wire one up, do a second one at the same time in case you want to run a welder some day. My buddy has to unplug the compressor to run the welder. PITA!!

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm lookin at Snap-On Air tools b/c in my experience at the shop and stuff they are GREAT.. On some of the impact wrenches and ratchets, the specs say they require 25 SCFM! I have yet to find an air compressor that goes that high.. Am I reading the specs wrong?

For Instance, on this item says it requires 16 SCFM when load is applied? I havent found a compressor that will supply that. On the smaller gun with less torque rating it says it requires 25 SCFM..Wtf?

From Snap-on:
Impact Wrench, Air, Heavy Duty, 1/2" Drive (50-450 ft. lb.)
Stock#: AT555A

Recommended Air Pressure, psig (kPa) 90 (620)
Air Consumption, free speed, cfm (scfm) [l/min] 3.5 (25) [99.11]
Air Consumption, working, cfm (scfm) [l/min] 2.2 (16) [62.3]

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big Daddy said:
do yourself a favor and don't bring a knife to a gun fight bring the goods :thumbsup:

BD
DAMN!! *looks down*, I have compressor envy.. How much that bitch set you back? I have a four thousand dollar home depot credit card just burnin holes...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
not nearly as much as one would think, $479+tx but this is the kind of volume thats needed otherwise the unit will kick in and run and run with smaller tanks.

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Bullshark said:
479? SOLD, from where? You run everything I mentioned with it? No problems with power and what not?
mmmmmmm LOWES. i use my 3/8 impact, 3/8 rachet, die grinder, cut-off tool and its wired 220.

I'mma tellin ya do it right the first time otherwise ya wish ya did.

BD

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have a Snap On, Mac ,And Ingersoll Rand 1/2 air guns. I have had the Ingersoll Rand for 12+ years and to this day is still the gun I pick up for all jobs.
As far as air ratchets the Snap On is by far the best. And will save the your hands.
I run A Crafstman Pro. 20 gal @ 175 psi max. I wouldnt recomend it to run a paint gun or a Die grinder. But it will keep up with anything else you have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts