1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I like the vertical. Mine is the same specs but not vert and it takes up too much space.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no one could really explain to me why some had 1hp, some had 3, if veritcal is better/not a good as laying down, so i said more hp must be good, 15gal seems pretty good, and they all had about the same specs with in this price range and it came with some tools. if any one has more insight let me know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal. The only concern would be whether or not it's an oil-free design, since those things are really noisy...

I need to pick up a new (smaller) compressor since I've moved and don't have much room or 230v for mine. I'll have to wheel it between my apartment and my garage to use it, since I don't even have electrical outlets in the garage (I'm hating living in an apratment). That one from Sears would probably suit my needs just fine for now.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll know for sure in a bit, but i don't think its an oil free design, some were, some weren't, don't know why they don't make it all oil-free, but i'll find out that question in a bit.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
My craftsman is an oil free design and yeah it's loud.

That compressor will be fine for using normal air tools.

Cubic Feet per Meter of air flow (CFM) is what is important, larger tank can hold more volume in reserve and hp fills it faster to flow a good CFM.

While convienent, those coil air lines can restrict flow to larger air tools like a 3/4 impact gun.

Two (or more)stage tank setups are good for constant pressure and are used for painting autos and such.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so should i get a straighter cord for an impact gun? i mean, will this thing break a lug nut off a rim of a car?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
so should i get a straighter cord for an impact gun? i mean, will this thing break a lug nut off a rim of a car?
It'll probably be okay unlees the lug is really on there by a huge gun. Try it first and buy the normal hose if you need it I suppose.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
A compressor is a must have thing....at least that is what i told my wife for last xmas....i cut out the ad and sent her to Kragen where she bought me the 25 gallon upright "oiled" compressor....i use it almost everyday just because i like to make alot of noise and piss the numbers off... :wink:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BD if i owned my own house, or if my garage could hold it, yes, i would have gone big boy style, but i needed this as a tire filler and smaller stuff. when i go to LA, and if i get a house, I'll join the club.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'd get the biggest compressor you can afford and have room to fit in. I have a 30 gallon Craftsman compressor and I wish I had bought a bigger compressor. The problem I have is that if I use an air cut off wheel, it'll go through the entire tank in about 30 seconds to a minute. Doesn't leave much time for me to actually get much cutting done if I have a difficult metal piece. I have the heavy duty 1/2" Craftsman impact gun (the one with the chrome and composite housing.) The compressor I have works fine with that gun but even with that the compressor will be kicking on after a few good blasts on the trigger. If you have any aspirations of using a 3/4" impact, forget anything smaller than 30 gallons and 30 gallons probably wouldn't be enough.

One quirk I have with my compressor is when it's cold out. Seems that condensation or something is causing some sort of short when I kick it on for the first time. It trips the breaker. Fortunately, when I had this house built, I had the builder put in a dedicated 20A 120V circuit for the compressor. Plus I have a 50A 230V line for my Miller MIG welder. Tools....RRRrrrrr (Tim Allen grunt.)

·
Registered
583 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
I'd get the biggest compressor you can afford and have room to fit in. I have a 30 gallon Craftsman compressor and I wish I had bought a bigger compressor. The problem I have is that if I use an air cut off wheel, it'll go through the entire tank in about 30 seconds to a minute. Doesn't leave much time for me to actually get much cutting done if I have a difficult metal piece. I have the heavy duty 1/2" Craftsman impact gun (the one with the chrome and composite housing.) The compressor I have works fine with that gun but even with that the compressor will be kicking on after a few good blasts on the trigger. If you have any aspirations of using a 3/4" impact, forget anything smaller than 30 gallons and 30 gallons probably wouldn't be enough.

One quirk I have with my compressor is when it's cold out. Seems that condensation or something is causing some sort of short when I kick it on for the first time. It trips the breaker. Fortunately, when I had this house built, I had the builder put in a dedicated 20A 120V circuit for the compressor. Plus I have a 50A 230V line for my Miller MIG welder. Tools....RRRrrrrr (Tim Allen grunt.)

Tripping of you breaker is from line lose or locked rotor amp draw exceeding the breakers capability.. your compressor is probably capable of being run off 220 and will not trip the breaker then (less amp draw) good luck... :idea:

·
Registered
536 Posts
You really have to take a look at what tools you plan to use and what the air demands (CFM) are for the tools. A big tank can make up for a low-output compressor if the tools are used intermittently. The high-CFM tools are things like grinders, sanders, drills and paint guns. You should be OK if all you want to do is fill tires and operate impact wrenches. I personally wouldn't buy anything with less than 10 CFM at 90 psi and a 30-gallon tank.

·
Registered
583 Posts
"oil filled comp's are best" tat run on 220 "cause I need a lot of cfm to blow my shit around" just think with a big compressor you could run that plazee torch you always wanted........and that,, oh yea more power..give me 3 phase please!!!! :fu2:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, you guys went WAY above my head, but let me say that i got her, read the direction, which were pretty plain, and got her going. after it said to do the 15min break in, i filled her up and starting playing with the tools. oh man, just hearing that ratchet makes me think i am working in my own mechanic shop. she filled up to the 150psi cutoff pretty fast i guess, no leaks, and its tidy. about 3 1/2 ft high, and about 2 ft in circumfrance. its an oil free design, good for me, one less thing to freakin maintain, don't know which is better though. if i had to do it again and owned a house, yes i'd get the biggest fugger out there, install the biggest breaker, and be the baddest person the block, but that will be in the future.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
ok, you guys went WAY above my head, but let me say that i got her, read the direction, which were pretty plain, and got her going. after it said to do the 15min break in, i filled her up and starting playing with the tools. oh man, just hearing that ratchet makes me think i am working in my own mechanic shop. she filled up to the 150psi cutoff pretty fast i guess, no leaks, and its tidy. about 3 1/2 ft high, and about 2 ft in circumfrance. its an oil free design, good for me, one less thing to freakin maintain, don't know which is better though. if i had to do it again and owned a house, yes i'd get the biggest fugger out there, install the biggest breaker, and be the baddest person the block, but that will be in the future.

man that thing will do 95% of what you'll need it to do.. The tools that consume the most air are die grinders/sanders, drills, and air nozzles...
an impact actually works really well with something like that.
the single stage desing is great for the weekender but not something you'd want to use everyday.. I've had a similar craftsman air compressor for about 15 years and it still works fine around the house.. (4hp 30 gallon)

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i saw like 5 different impact guns, with anywhere from like 100ft lbs of tq to like 600, would the 100ft break an bolt torqured on at 80lbs?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts