Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez, I must be a real fucking clutz because I can't for the life of me get the damn air box out to do the power commander install. Do you have to pull out the rubber air intake boots to allow the air box to move forward enough to lift it straight up? I've never seen a bike with such tight spaces to work with, the air box is molded so it is recessed within the frame. Be nice if it could just lift out. I'm sure there is a real easy trick so I'm asking before I get frustrated and break something trying to force it out. Thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
fun2fly said:
Geez, I must be a real fucking clutz because I can't for the life of me get the damn air box out to do the power commander install. Do you have to pull out the rubber air intake boots to allow the air box to move forward enough to lift it straight up? I've never seen a bike with such tight spaces to work with, the air box is molded so it is recessed within the frame. Be nice if it could just lift out. I'm sure there is a real easy trick so I'm asking before I get frustrated and break something trying to force it out. Thanks

No, just push the rubber ducts into the frame and turn the air box counter clockwise while lifting out.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
ahhhhhhhhh ya ruined all the fun, ya should let him sweat it out another day or two..J/K

BD

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
ohhhh so thats how i was holdin' the airbox and turnin' the bike :headshake

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after typing this post I went down and did just that. Pushed it forward and twisted it counter clockwise and it finally lifted out of its spot. Wow, it was more than I bargained for. And that damn brown fuel rail plug, that was a pain in the ass too. I couldn't get my hands in that space very well to manipulate the clip to free it, especially with all the other hardware surrounding it. I figure anyone with hands bigger than large are going to have a much harder time getting things done in those tight quarters. I'm dreading the day I have to change the plugs :eyecrazy: I really should put a window aircontioner in the garage and a beer fridge :beer: Thanks guys, can always count on ya's. :eek:ccasion1

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
fun2fly said:
Well after typing this post I went down and did just that. Pushed it forward and twisted it counter clockwise and it finally lifted out of its spot. Wow, it was more than I bargained for. And that damn brown fuel rail plug, that was a pain in the ass too. I couldn't get my hands in that space very well to manipulate the clip to free it, especially with all the other hardware surrounding it. I figure anyone with hands bigger than large are going to have a much harder time getting things done in those tight quarters. I'm dreading the day I have to change the plugs :eyecrazy: I really should put a window aircontioner in the garage and a beer fridge :beer: Thanks guys, can always count on ya's. :eek:ccasion1
just did the plugs it does suck ya gotta yoink the top motor mounts to get 'em out. ya might think about doin the air box mod while you in there that deep as well just a thought. good luck with the reassemble

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
treyzx10r said:
just did the plugs it does suck ya gotta yoink the top motor mounts to get 'em out. ya might think about doin the air box mod while you in there that deep as well just a thought. good luck with the reassemble
How many miles on your bike when you changed plugs? What was the condition of the plugs? My bike has lost major revs at idle. I'm thinking the plugs are toast. I have 6800 miles, but I do have a Muzzy thin head gasket. I lost about 300 to 500 rpm at idle

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
SP8 said:
How many miles on your bike when you changed plugs? What was the condition of the plugs? My bike has lost major revs at idle. I'm thinking the plugs are toast. I have 6800 miles, but I do have a Muzzy thin head gasket. I lost about 300 to 500 rpm at idle
7000 miles the plugs where actually nice and tan . it was part of a tuning session when proline built my custom map. we did a bunch of upgrades at once so i never really singled out one item between dyno runs. lookin' back on it i shoulda wrote all that data down just got too excited about the whole thing and pissed away some good info.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
treyzx10r said:
ya might think about doin the air box mod while you in there that deep as well just a thought.
What mod might this be?

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
1killer1liter said:
What mod might this be?

just sealing the airbox up by plugging the crankcase breather hose ports and either running the crank case breather tube overboard or connecting it in a continous loop

·
Registered
58 Posts
How to Remove airbox??

Hey folks....Trying to prepare my bike to install new plugs and block off plates once they arrive..have the pdf of the service manual but no-where did I find step by step on how to remove airbox...I've obviously got the tank and airbox cover off but don't want to start going any deeper without the instructions etc...I know there are several sensors and don't want to screw them up..anyone done this and can walk me through it? Or point me to the page in the service manual that shows you how?

on another note, took the stock plastics off today to prepare for my track plastics and what a mess the light/cluster/ignition wiring is...was going to unplug and remove the light wiring but found two plugs with wires from both mixed between the lights and cluster..after removing what seemed like 50 feet of elcetrical tape I found the crossed wires..so I said screw it, taped 'em back up and tucked them away...

any and all help appreciated..

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
rotate counter clock wise

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
BTW plug number 4 is under the frame You might want to pay someone to do those plugs its a bitch!

·
Registered
58 Posts
appreciate it fellas...now, one more question...excuse the ignorance, I'm used to working on crusiers where the space is a plenty..

I've only removed the screws holding the cover to the airbox. What sensors, hoses, and other bolts/screws do I need to remove before turning it counter clockwise and lifting? If someone will just tell me what page of the service manual it's in I should probably be cool...sorry to bother..

·
Registered
383 Posts
treyzx10r said:

just sealing the airbox up by plugging the crankcase breather hose ports and either running the crank case breather tube overboard or connecting it in a continous loop[/QUO

What kind of results do you see with this mod? first i heard of it. :dontknow:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Tito said:
treyzx10r said:

just sealing the airbox up by plugging the crankcase breather hose ports and either running the crank case breather tube overboard or connecting it in a continous loop[/QUO

What kind of results do you see with this mod? first i heard of it. :dontknow:
Unfortunately Tito I was a dumbazz and did a whole buncha mods at once ie ;exhaust,pcIII ,BMC Race filter ect. and did'nt dyno between each mod . So I really ca'nt say . Chris Williams swears by it and he does okay. not much of an answer sorry :rolleyes:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
TheReb said:
appreciate it fellas...now, one more question...excuse the ignorance, I'm used to working on crusiers where the space is a plenty..

I've only removed the screws holding the cover to the airbox. What sensors, hoses, and other bolts/screws do I need to remove before turning it counter clockwise and lifting? If someone will just tell me what page of the service manual it's in I should probably be cool...sorry to bother..
Once you get the cover off you can see inside to the other mounting hardware and the connections on the box are easy to see , just take your time and look it over good you'll see all what needs removing and disconnecting .BTW good idea to plug up the throttle body intakes with some clean rags before you remove the base hardware.

·
Registered
58 Posts
treyzx10r said:
Once you get the cover off you can see inside to the other mounting hardware and the connections on the box are easy to see , just take your time and look it over good you'll see all what needs removing and disconnecting .BTW good idea to plug up the throttle body intakes with some clean rags before you remove the base hardware.
sweeet...thanks...just looked at her again and yep, it's pretty obvious.

after the fiasco with the light wiring, I got a lil tentative...ya' know, like after lowsiding, your times fall off for a few sessions ;-P

1 - 20 of 38 Posts