Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learning to work on my bike. Got all the tools and manuals but I find it easier to ask those that have already done:

Question:
To get to the air box, the tank must be removed. Will it also need to be drained or can it just be moved aside with all lines connected ?

Air Filter question:
K&N or just clean the stock? :dontknow: Suggestions ?
I've used K&N in my trucks & cars in the past with better results.

Thanx !

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
tank can come off with fuel in it.

I spin mine around 180 and place it where the rear seat goes.

I also zip tie it to the subframe so it doesnt fall off the bike by mistake (note this is based on a tank falling off one of my other bikes)

Lots of debate on the airfilters here. I personnaly run a BMC Race filter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When you pull aside the fuel tank just disconnect the lines. It will drip a little but it won't leak and doesn't need to be drained. As far as the K & N I am running one and like it. It is just personal pref.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the quick response Guys (5 minutes)

I have a very full tank of gas and didn't want it all over my garage floor!

Thanx Again!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
hell you don't even have to remove the tank to remove the airbox. I've had mine out twice and never pulled the tank. I do use a rod though to prop it up out of the way. the tank isn't the problem in removing the airbox it's the damn frame rails that make it tough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention it's a 1999 ZX-9R if that makes a difference.

hell you don't even have to remove the tank to remove the airbox. I've had mine out twice and never pulled the tank. I do use a rod though to prop it up out of the way. the tank isn't the problem in removing the airbox it's the damn frame rails that make it tough.
Not really trying to remove the whole box, just open up to clean / replace the
filter.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
one day you will want to remove it, remember these words "COUNTER CLOCKWISE!" you'll get it then.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
OH sorry K&N dont love it but yea i like it. a little better throtel response. also look into the TRE. do a search. THEN the airbox has to come out. do the TRE and the K&N at the same time save some elbow grease

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx Guys,

Looked at it last night and it all makes sense now. Tank valve (Main.off.reserve) is connected to tank. (didn't know that) Disconnect
from filter and remove. Things come together more for me after seeing
the actual setups. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts